• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Belly pan tabs

MaD MiKe

Bicycle
I'm new to the group so this will be my first post so I'd like to start off by saying "HEY!" and thanks for such a great group.. Now I'll cut to the chase as I have recently purchased second party a 2006 Connie which was apparently wrecked (clear title) and bought at auction but with only 4086 miles on it.. Any way some of the plastic was replaced and the original belly pan was reused but has one tab broke off and I'd like to replace it.. Any ya'll got any laying around so I can glue one back on?? If so when, were, what, why and how much. :) 2007 650 V-Strom 2006 ZG1000 Concours 1999 Turbocharged Vulcan Nomad 1979 KZ1000ST (a work in slow progress)

I'm certainly no expert on the subject but it would seem to me it'd be just as easy to take some ABS and make a new tab out of it. It's just a square with a hole in it and it's not visible. I'm pretty sure that can be done but somebody who knows for sure will chime in shortly no doubt. :) Oh and, welcome aboard!

Thanks Brett but I'm fixated on the OEM ones as they have ribs up the sides to keep the spring nut from turning.. ;p BUT! One with the skills can make tabs with the ribs just as well as what you astutely recommended. Thanks for the response and if I can't find someone with a FUBAR'd belly pan who can cut me one off a tab I'll make one my friend.. Thanks for the welcome sir.. 2007 650 V-Strom 2006 ZG1000 Concours 1999 Turbocharged Vulcan Nomad 1979 KZ1000ST (a work in slow progress)

I tried gluing a broken tab, and I finally gave up. Instead I got a piece of steel that I use to hold things together. I drilled a big hole for the body screw to go through, and then I soldered a nut to it. I also drilled small holes in it for sheet metal screws that hold the steel piece onto the belly pan. I used the base of the broken tab to screw into because the plastic is much thicker here. At this point the only thing I use the broken tab for is a spacer between the other fairing piece and my steel add-on.

Welcome.... I seem to recall several folks have real good experience making new tabs with this stuff PLASTIKIT that our own MurphKits sells. http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=247 -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Thanks for the replies folks and they are all great recommendations but I have to go for door number 3, the Murphs Kit.. I just gotta try it. :) 2007 650 V-Strom 2006 ZG1000 Concours 1999 Turbocharged Vulcan Nomad 1979 KZ1000ST (a work in slow progress)

Well I gotta ask. We are talking about one of the two tabs at the front that go up under the coolant tank. 2003 Concours, 54K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

The ones that attach to the mid fairing. 2007 650 V-Strom 2006 ZG1000 Concours 1999 Turbocharged Vulcan Nomad 1979 KZ1000ST (a work in slow progress)