• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bend OR to CA Rt 1 to Salida CO -- Leg 2 of coast to coast trip

huddlec

Got the new tires  and oil change in Bend OR, dropped the bike at a stop sign (nope, wasn't in first and feet were already on the pegs, as I stalled) and broke off the right peg. Ordered another online to be delivered to my cousin in Marin County.  Road 1,000 miles using the highway peg and passenger peg - not so bad actually.

Took off from the Bend campground just as it started to rain. Pulled off in Sisters for coffee and wait out the harder rain. Continued on over the MacKenzie Pass - Rt 242. Woulda been much nicer if dry. Stopped drizzling when I reached Proxy Falls so took a short hike.  Took Forest Rout 19 (paved) south. Woulda been much nicer if dry.  Lots of rocks awaiting me right around most corners, so took it slow. At Westfir I needed a break and stopped to ask about B&Bs. Was invited to spend night in a guest room.

Next day took Rt 58 east over Willamette Pass.  Woulda been much nicer if dry (and cloudbase had been 1000' higher) AND if the jerk somewhere ahead of me hadn't dripped oil every 5 feet (spreading to a foot in diameter on the wet pavement). Hope his engine failed in the middle of nowhere!

Took Rt 97 and Rt 138 to Crater Lake.  Beautiful. Snow everywhere. Only 3 bikes in the lot and all three ridden by women.  Continued on Rt 62 to 140 to Dead Indian Memorial Road - all nice and dry.  Found a great campsite outside Ashland OR. Great oatmeal stout at the Standing Stone Brewery restaurant. 

Took I-5 south to CA and bailed onto Rt 96 for a long ass ride to Eureka. Nice scenery, but it could have been 100 miles shorter....  Stayed in a Victoria B&B in Eureka and next day headed south to Leggett and then over to the coast on Rt 1.  Going south is way better than going north. You're on the ocean side and it seems like most folks (and esp the prairie schooners) were heading north.  Dry road the whole way. NICE!!!

At my cousin's place in Fairfax, I put the new foot peg on the bike and stayed off the bike until I left a few days later. (Fabulous eggs Benedict on fried oysters instead of ham at the Hummingbird Cafe in Fairfax!) 

Eventually was on my way on I-80 to Sacramento, bailing onto Rt 50 for the Tahoe Lake area. Spent three nights there - lovely!!!  Then back on Rt 50 to Pollock Pines for 6 days of jazz camp (reason I was carrying the soprano sax all this way). 

Took Rt 50 over Echo pass early Saturday, August 6, heading for Ely NV.  Cold Springs saloon was a great place for a late breakfast. I loved the desert.  Stayed at the historic Nevada Hotel in downtown Ely, along with about 20 other bikers. They offer a discount to bikers....  Didn't spend a nickel on the slots. 

Next day was Basin and Range day across the rest of Nevada on 50 and on into Utah, turning north for Delta, where I had breakfast.  The road was so empty, it was amazing what I was able to do while parked in the lane of travel.... :)  Took Rt 31 out of Nephi going south. Unhappy bikers clumped behind a caravan of prairie schooners going the other way, slowly, the curves.  Took 10 south out of Huntington to the short cut (now paved) Rt 803 to I-70/Rt 50, going east.  Spectacular scenery in this section. Pity the poor trucker with smoking brakes by the side of the road. 

Had to call it quits for the day a little past Montrose CO at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park.  Nice campground.  573 miles that day.  :08:

Had breakfast next day in Gunnison about 60 miles further east.  Spending a couple days in Salida CO at a friend's house, then will be off on the third and final leg via Garden City KS (who named it that!), Bartlesville OK (gonna be hot), Jasper and Mountain View AR, Dover TN, Brownsville KY, Chillicothe OH, and then home sweet home, Harpers Ferry WV.

Sounds like lots of fun (except the wet roads). I wanna do that someday soon, have family in Arcata Ca. near Eureka.
So take 3 weeks ride cross the US 1 week stay at family's house for a week ride back east another week.
!!!!!!!!!!PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the inspiration.  :beerchug:

Christy, that's excellent. CA 1 is my #1 fav cruz, it's fab in either direction. Consider sending in a report & pix to Calvin for the Concourier.

FWIW I'm gonna be comin thru yer neck of the woods on 2 wheels (self powered) next month, on http://www.adventurecycling.org/tours/tourdetail.cfm?id=257&t=EV11&p=3

signed, jazz bass player / slacker / hedonist

Sounds like a great trip. Wish I would have known you were here in Eureka area. we would have rode with you for a bit.

It has been a great trip - way more fun than I'd imagined it would be.

I've accidentally ridden with other bikers - usually because they are busy passing me. Had one idiot pass on my right going up Monarch Pass. Almost moved over into him. Would not have been pretty.

I've been taking pictures. Some feature a good part of my finger. Still getting used to the iPhone I bought for the trip. It's been great for checking weather on the fly.

I'll check re writing a story for the club newsletter.

In St Jo, MO at the moment. Am skipping AR this trip. Too damn hot and humid! Next trip!

Christy

Great Idea Christy skipping Arkansas, you can go the the National COG Rally next year at Eureka Springs AR. Looks like you thought of everything. :)