• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

best replacement shock for C-10 ?

John_Atkinson

I know there are several options for the C-10 shock upgrade:

1)  C-14
2)  ZZR1200
3) Progressive (465?)
4) Wilbers

I have heard (old forum?) that the Wilbers is the best of all of these, but can be rather pricey.

Any thoughts as to the pros and cons of the various alternatives?

I put a Hagon shock on my 2000 C10, worked great for single and two up riding.  Great customer service also.

http://www.hagonshocksusa.com/

Call and talk to Dave if you are interested

John_Atkinson said:
I know there are several options for the C-10 shock upgrade:
1)  C-14
2)  ZZR1200
3) Progressive (465?)
4) Wilbers
I have heard (old forum?) that the Wilbers is the best of all of these, but can be rather pricey.
Any thoughts as to the pros and cons of the various alternatives?

What your price range? and are you doing the work yourself?  I have about 1000 + miles on my ZZR1200 I installed a few weeks ago, and it is totally unbelivable how it tranformed the bike.  Is your front forks stock or upgraded?  I have Race Tech and emmulators installed that really tied  the whole package together

Cheers
Ron

Progressive 465. I've had mine for 12 yrs and 50,000 miles and still like it. Maybe get it rebuilt in a year or two.

I have a C14 shock.  It also made a tremendous difference.  I don't think it matters as long as you just get one.  I was going for the progressive personally but wanted the external preload adjuster and by the time you get one with that option they are pricey.  I commute, blast back roads, and tour 2 up on mine, so adjustments happen pretty frequently.  If your load is pretty static, that wouldn't be as big a factor.

From those who have done both the ZZR1200 and the C14 and reported back here, the C14 is the better way to go.

The ZZR does not really effect ride height. The C14 is long enough to effect ride height, and many get a lowering link to offset that which adds to the cost.  Both are similar from an install point of view. there are some differences, but similar anyways.  -- Cost and availability versus performance.  When I got my ZZR shock they were $125 range shipped. Then they got popular and went to $250 and started getting harder to find. Next started hearing of C14 shocks for $150. At that price you can get the C14 shock and a lowering link for the price of a ZZR and it posta be better yet.  But that was a while back. Whats it like now? Just gonna depend on what you can find and for how much.

thanks for all the good feedback everyone.....I just scored a used Progressive 420 for $75, so it looks like that should do me for a little while yet.

Hi, does anyone run a Works Shock.
I won a $100 gift certificate at the National Rally woohooo :beerchug:.
I want to see if anyone has any feedback before pulling the trigger. A little pricey $600-$800 depending on options  (a third of the value of a 1997 C10) .

Of all these options, what are the pros and cons of each? Which are rebuildable? How adjustable is each one, and are there different spring rates available?

Hey WillyP, I believe that all 4 as listed are rebuildable. Not sure how many shops on the east coast can do the Wilbers though, as that seems to be mostly a euro-market item.

I too would be curious to find out what spring options are available, and if any of these can be re-sprung as needed in the future.

voileauciel said:
Hey WillyP, I believe that all 4 as listed are rebuildable. Not sure how many shops on the east coast can do the Wilbers though, as that seems to be mostly a euro-market item.

I too would be curious to find out what spring options are available, and if any of these can be re-sprung as needed in the future.

the distributor for Wilbers in the U.S. is a BMW dealer called Beemershop, run by a fella named Ted Porter. I had some correspondence with him a while back about the Connie shock and he was very helpful:

Wilbers are hand built to order in Germany. Every aspect of the shock from the spring rate to the piston and rebound adjuster valving is selected for your weight and riding style. Since they are custom built, you select the features which allows you to build the shock based on your riding conditions, and also allows you to control the cost.

I can be a lot more helpful over the phone after learning more about your needs, but here are the most common builds for your Concourse:

Model 640 with manual preload adjust and rebound damping adjust: $569.00. Great value but not the best choice if you ride a passenger often due to the inconvenience of manual spring preload adjusting.

Add hydraulic remote preload adjusting for more convenience: $798.00. This is the best seller.

If you ride on very rough roads, or do track days, some folks like the more advanced version which has a remote reservoir and adjustable high and low speed compression circuits. This shock sells for $849.00 with manual preloader, $1088.00 with hydraulic preloader. This is Wilbers best shock. It's just right for some folks, but is overkill for many. Again, I can be more helpful in a phone conversation where I could learn more about your needs and budget, and answer any questions you may have.

Wilbers have a five year warranty and are fully rebuildable (we rebuild them). Wilbers took first place in a shock comparison test in a European motorcycle magazine when compared to all the best shocks on the market. Other respected brands finished behind Wilbers, Ohlins took third place as an example. Wilbers is very high quality stuff.

Thanks for the inquiry, let me know if I can help further.

Best regards,

Ted Porter
BeemerShop
Scotts Valley, CA.
831-438-1100

His e-mail is wilbers@beemershop.com

Perhaps a simple replacement of the rear shock fluids is the first and best way to go.  Cheaper for sure.....

I did the 420 progressive for a while, but went back to the stock shock because I wanted the flexibility of simple and faster adjustments.