• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

best route, sightseeing tips

redline

I'm leaving on Thursday june 4th to go to Fontana Dam. I plan to go from las cruces, nm to new orleans, jacksonville, Fl, up the coast (savannah, Fl and then toward the rally resort. Was wondering if anybody would like to suggest places to go or see, better route etc. I have 4 days to go from here to the nationals. Thanks for any input. Btw, anybody wants to join me or meet up along the way, let me know. Ted Proud to be American! (since 2005) Lost and found in 1991 2008 C14 "Freebird"

I'm in Jacksonville and riding to the National leaving Sunday morning. If you like give me a call or email and let's chat about our plans. I am either going to slab it to Savannah or up to Greenville then head to the mountains from there. I am also researching non-slab roads. I'll be riding two-up on a cruiser and with another COG'er on a C10. I'll PM my phone. David in Jax, FL COG# 7898 CDA # 2002 ZZR-1200 "Magic Carpet" 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500 LC "Luxury Couch"

Ted, it depends... on what you like to see. The panhandle region has beautiful beaches and forests but most of Florida is FLAT. Sort of the inverted Deals Gap - 311 miles, 13 curves. If you are looking to make time on the slab then your choices will be limited. There are many small towns with historic items but.. .it would take forever to travel that way. I can recommend: Riding into a tourist beach area and stopping somewhere for a sandwich at a beach-front restaurant, preferably one with a balcony or patio. This gives you a chance to smell the salt air, see the waves and sand, and leave before your bike starts to rust. Naval Air Museum at Eglin Air Force Base (East of Pensacola). This is a beautiful museum, I would allow 2 hours for it. Tallahassee/FSU - interesting to ride around the area, lots of state historical stuff but nothing really comes to my mind on it. Lots of traffic and confusing roads. If you are heading up to Savannah on I-95 I highly recommend the "Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum". The Mighty Eighth was the air force (before there was an air force!) that flew in the European and pacific theaters. Great museum, also the memorial area in the back is a must-visit. Reading the plaques of the planes that flew and disposition of the crew is touching. David David in Jax, FL COG# 7898 CDA # 2002 ZZR-1200 "Magic Carpet" 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500 LC "Luxury Couch"

Naval Air Museum at Eglin Air Force Base (East of Pensacola). This is a beautiful museum, I would allow 2 hours for it.
Dave, A Naval Air Museum on an Air Force Base??? I hope your navigating to Fontana Dam is better than this. :8o: The National Naval Aviation Museum is located at NAS Penscola. That is NAS as in NAVAL AIR STATION. You know like in NAS Jacksonville the 3rd largest naval installation in the country. ;p Former Navy Air VP-44 NAS Brunswick Mike Aldea, COG-528 Charter Life AMA Hawthorne, NJ
2520423130102652906S200x200Q85.jpg
2710979210102652906GMlQTI_th.jpg

Well, I'm not a vet so excuuuse me! I know how to get there and did not realize there were two military bases there. I know we have two NAVY bases here in Jax. You see - if I was using a GPS I'd never find it! That's why I like maps. David in Jax, FL COG# 7898 CDA # 2002 ZZR-1200 "Magic Carpet" 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500 LC "Luxury Couch"

I keep thinking it is summer time. I am heading north first to try and get into hills and cooler weather. The route your taking could be very hot and mostly boring. I almost died on I10 in La. when traffic stopped on a bridge in 95+ temps. It might not be that hot for you this time of year though. Taking a dive off the interstate through the Texas hill country might be the only twisty roads you will find between NM and Ga. I can suggest some roads in that area if you want to waist the time. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

smithr is rite. Yer gonna cook in the lowlands anywhere E of NM, so be prepared. I'd start out with a run to Cloudcroft. :) Play a bit in northern AR twisties then boogie down I-40. I guess yer thinkin about I-10. That's the most efficient way but it sux. Savannah's nice but hot in the summer. There aren't any decent coast roads I know of until yer S of Jaxsonville. 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

Yup - stay more to the north and you may avoid a lot of rain too. The south is hot and humid so go for elevation. David in Jax, FL COG# 7898 CDA # 2002 ZZR-1200 "Magic Carpet" 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500 LC "Luxury Couch"

I'm leaving on Thursday june 4th to go to Fontana Dam. I plan to go from las cruces, nm to new orleans, jacksonville, Fl, up the coast (savannah, Fl and then toward the rally resort. Was wondering if anybody would like to suggest places to go or see, better route etc. I have 4 days to go from here to the nationals. Thanks for any input. Btw, anybody wants to join me or meet up along the way, let me know. Ted Proud to be American! (since 2005) Lost and found in 1991 2008 C14 "Freebird"
Oh, man.....The first thing I'd do is head north in search of some cooler weather. And there's no guarantee of it at this time of year. Going across the lower half of the country in late spring/early summmer invites a whole bunch of problems with heat. YMMV, but I wouldn't be caught dead east of the Rockies and south of I-80 just now. Just sayin'...... Bob "Flylooper" Burns COG #5887 Editor, The Concourier E Clampus Vitus, YB#1 '04 FJR 1300
VisitedStatesMap.jpg

thanks guys for the input. As much as I wanted to cruise down to new orleans and florida, maybe ya'll are right and make that another trip at a different time of the year. I hate flat , straight roads as well. just getting out of texas is something else. again, got 4 days to go outta my way to see things. rough sketch. las cruces, nm to albq, nm, hwy 40 to amarillo, tulsa,evansville, il, caanan valley W.V. (maybe) to asheville. 2358 miles. better route? how about places to stop and see or other route suggestions? maybe follow someone one the way? Thanks a million, Ted Proud to be American! (since 2005) Lost and found in 1991 2008 C14 "Freebird"