• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

best tire for fast cornering?

happypilot

Bicycle
stock set up, not ready to change rims. but looking for best tire for someone that rides corners hard.
I got stuck with metzeler ME888 on rear and ME880 on front, they are great for normal riding but do not hold the turns fast like I like to ride. only 1000 miles and I am ready to replace them and find something that holds when I ride hard. Probably would like to get back to radial again.

Not a C10 guy - but I have some bikes that don't wear the traditional 17"s front and rear. I feel your pain.

If this were my bike I'd put the Angel GT on the front and the Shinko or Avon Storm on the rear. Matching tires are not always an option:-/  But, you knew that already.

https://www.jakewilson.com/t/1742/Motorcycle-Tires-All - this should link to C10 sizing.

Hooefully a C10 guru will further assist - but many of them are at the national rally this week. The forum isn't going to be very active until after everyone gets home.

:beerchug:

When I got my 05, it had the stock dunlops which I hated.  I put one of the shinko verges (thinking 011 but not sure) on the front and an SE890 journey on the back.  Liked that setup ok but the front ended up with some cupping.  Changed out that set at about 8k and went with SE890's front and back.  They are "wing sized" tires.  Plenty of opinions on either side about running those larger tires, but I like them and they make it easier to get miss piggy up on the centerstand.  They do take some getting used to.  When I first rode it, it was a bit startling in that it felt like it was falling into the curves.  After getting used to the setup, you can move right along in the curves and it holds just fine....by me anyway.  I tend to ride county roads (ours are nicely paved and plenty curvey) more than anything.  My aggressive riding might not be as aggressive as yours....so that is a big variable.  I can say that my 30 yr old son asked me what I was running recently.  He had taken my bike out and been a bit aggressive with it and was pleased.  His aggressive is considerably more so than mine.  A set can be had for $215.75 from http://www.chaparral-racing.com/product/shinko-se890-journey-tourning-radial-tire-kit/369-s-026-kit.aspx  I hear guys getting more miles out of other tires, but the prices of those others keeps me with the shinko and changing them out sooner than those high buck tires.  Hope that helps.....but tires and oil are a highly opinionated topic.

You can get a matched pair in the new Avon Spirit. Not tried them yet but reports in the press seem good.
I have Avon 3D-XMs front and rear.
Not keen on the front, preferred the PR3 it had before.

Funny story-- Some one posted  quite a while back about  how he totalled his C10 because he was going slow in the rain and slid off the road and  smashed his bike up.
Then he asked us what he did wrong.

I said it was because he had metzeler ME880's and he said 'How did you know that??'

And I responded with 'Because you said you slid off the road going real slow' that is how I knew.
  Those tires on that bike will never heat up and get sticky. They are by far the worst tire I have ever ridden on dry or wet -ever!
I gave it away--or tried to -- it ended up in the trash with  about 800 miles on it.
Now if your want to rail on corners drop the tire pressures down  too but  please get rid of those tires-- they are darn right dangerous in the rain..

Have you readabout the 17" Meanstreak rear wheel conversion?  That's a nice not too expensive - huge bang for the buck up grade

Avon radials have been a popular choice over the years as have been the Shinko's more recently. A bias ply tire that worked well for me was the Avon AM-26's. Daytona Mike can attest to how they cornered on my C-10. He has followed me thru some twisties before
Ark 123 to be exact.

Jim Snyder said:
Avon radials have been a popular choice over the years as have been the Shinko's more recently. A bias ply tire that worked well for me was the Avon AM-26's. Daytona Mike can attest to how they cornered on my C-10. He has followed me thru some twisties before
Ark 123 to be exact.
Oh heck yeah Jim...
Was that the time I set my slip on on fire and scrubbed my new tires bald and  then they blew shortly after?  Man that was a fun time.. I remember chasing a Triumph
That Triumph Speed Tripple  sure could  corner well.  Fun Times!

Daytona_Mike said:
Jim Snyder said:
Ark 123 to be exact.
Oh heck yeah Jim...
Was that the time I set my slip on on fire and scrubbed my new tires bald and  then they blew shortly after?  Man that was a fun time.. I remember chasing a Triumph
That Triumph Speed Tripple  sure could  corner well.  Fun Times!
Yep that was that time. The road you burnt the pipe up chasing the Triumph was Ark 341 Push Mountain road.

110 size tire on the front is the proper size for the stock rim and will fall into the turns easier.

I'll second about the Avon 3D X-M.
I lived them on my C10, but they were a little squirrelly for the first thousand miles or so, then they settled down. Just make sure your steering bearing is adjusted properly so you don't get the tires and a loose bearing working together to give you a tankslapper.

I have had a catastrophic failure with Avon tyres.  It may have been a coincidence, but I do not trust them anymore.  I actually like the Pirelli Sport Demon in the stock sizes.  They are inexpensive and pretty confidence inspiring.  Don't last long- but none of them do.  Except Metzelers.  Which seem like they want to murder me.
Kevin

I ran Avons for many years and had two defective tires.  They replaced the both times but that was enough for me.  That was when I switched to PR3 and then PR4

well the bike goes in and out of corners great, and is steady down the road. it just lets go too easy if you corner hard. If you were and easy rider and looking for miles instead of extra grip they would be great. I plan to have them off before my trip to denver in august.

thanks for the info. budget does not alow any conversions right now. so will be looking at the stock size tires you guys recommended.