• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Best way to clean rough cast surface of inner wheels

rlievenski4555

I will be putting new tires on the wheels and always take advantage of a tireless wheel to deep clean. There are posts on YouTube instructing cleaning techniques as I have seen WD40 and Goo Gone as leading contenders. Wondering what tricks and tips are out there for wheel deep cleaning.

A while ago I bought a pair of 2012 wheels ( or so they said they were ) and they are black and appear to be weathered due to the dull finish on them. I am pretty certain this black coating is pretty tuff to remove based on the cleaning chemicals and paint stripping chemicals I have already used in an attempt to see the aluminum under the black crud. I got some glass bead ( 80 grit, probably too course ) and I am going to experiment a little bit on some other aluminum car wheels that need paint removed to see what is the best solution for restoring these Connie wheels.

In the past the product worth mentioning for abused or lack of weekly cleaning of wheels.
MAD detailing supplies it’s called Mad Acid, it breaks down baked on road grime and deposits of brake dust that attaches and becomes imbedded in the painted or PC finish.

Don’t believe Japanese motorcycles have powder coated rims, never thought of asking our powder coating guy since he stripped and preps prior to finishing, but judging how easy they chip it’s thin paint.

The second process takes more work and that’s WD40, PB blaster or ACF-50 any one of those loosen brake grime and road asphalt grime. FYI also leave a greasy film that’s a pida to remove!

Had my Wheels powder coated due to the amount of chips and wanting to change the color ( Burnt Bronze in a Matt finish )

Attachments

• IMG_4612.jpeg
    IMG_4612.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4613.jpeg
    IMG_4613.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4614.jpeg
    IMG_4614.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 25
Don’t believe Japanese motorcycles have powder coated rims, never thought of asking our powder coating guy since he stripped and preps prior to finishing, but judging how easy they chip it’s thin paint.

Yep, thin paint over nice shiny aluminum.

Love that color!
Very lucky to have this guy within 20 min driving distance, he has done so much work for us and never disappoints. Wanted a color that would blend with the black!

They use the latest in PC technology’s and it’s incredibly impervious to almost anything automotive related chemicals.
Drop his number below for anyone interested! In SC

Vivid Powder Coating​

Columbia SC 803-509-3665