• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Biggest tire size

Janosch

Big Wheel
I was wondering if anybody has researched what would be the biggest tire size one could mount on the Connie 14?!

So, do you think that the leaning behavior of the bike with a wider tire could become a safety issue (even after you have gotten used to the bike's new leaning behavior?"

That really depends entirely on how you ride the bike, Thomas.  If you are often leaned over, then the answer would be yes.  If you mostly sit straight up, it would be no.  However, whatever tire you decide to mount, you should definitely be careful until you get used to the new handling characteristics and the shine wears off of the rubber.

This is true even if you're replacing the tire with the same size/model.  It's particularly true with my Metzler 880s since this tire can lose SO much of the center strip and still have plenty of tread left on it.  Going to a nicely round tire from one which has flattened out over the miles is a pretty dramatic difference.

Rule of thumb is 50 miles or so.  In my case, that's less than a normal day.

Has anyone tried a 200 55 ?
For 2012, Michelin has introduced a new long-distance tire for cruisers - the Commander II.

According to Michelin, the Commander II tires feature "a new rubber compound without aromatic oils to meet the long mileage demands of cruiser consumers," while at the same time offering "a new standard in cruiser tire longevity and uncompromised handling and stability." 

We had Mile High Harley-Davidson of Parker, Colo., mount the Michelin Commander II tires to our Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Classic.

According to the installation technician, the Commander IIs have a deeper tread than most tires. "Commander II tires,  new tread compounds were developed to echo the characteristics of the Silica Rain Technology-infused radial, with emphasis on tire longevity and wet-weather handling," Michelin tells us.

Our tire tech told us the Commander IIs were slipperier than average, so they would require about 100 miles of careful break-in (about double the norm). Playing it safe, we followed his recommendation.

On different types of asphalt, the Michelin Commander II tires performed quite well after break-in. In Colorado, our roads leave much to be desired.

The Commander II tires did well on rocky asphalt, deliver less vibration than our previous Dunlop tires, and grip quite well. Michelin claims a high-density carcass-Amplified Density Technology-for improved maneuverability and feedback. We were certainly satisfied with the feel of the tires, even on less-than-satisfactory roads.

Michelin claims that "third-party tests show that the Michelin Commander II rear tire lasts almost twice as long as its main competitors." The company also claims "the new compound also helps achieve remarkable wet grip performance without compromising mileage."

According to Michelin, "impressive water dispersal characteristics are provided by longitudinal grooves in the tire tread pattern, enhancing grip in wet conditions." As weather in the Colorado Rockies has prevented a full evaluation for wet weather performance and final mileage before replacement

I tried a 200 on my ZX14 just for shits and giggles and it slowed down the turn in quite a bit, looked cool though...

The Commander 11 comes in 200 55 17 they are talking about 20,000 miles?
Yeah it's not a sport - tour tire but I'm not going to tell Connie
What about the front ? stock or a step up ?

cuda said:
God's waiting room Naples, FL.

Cuda, that's fricking funny.  I just about spit out my lunch after reading that.

Since you are looking for a high milage tire, let's rile people up with this comment:  "Mount a car tire"  :))

NO car tires , why would a 200 55 be so far out of line ? I can flat foot the bike with flat shoe's I wonder how much taller they are ? When I was younger my nick name was sparky because liked to lay it down , I still lean a lot in corners but I don't touch anymore. Since I added the LSL bars and 1 5/8" risers I'm siting back more and the front tire comes up a lot more than I care for , thought that this might help . I have a friend that races bikes and he wants me to come to the track , I don't need anymore broken bones , I know he has had a couple crashes and broken bones and at 57 It does NOT intrest me.
So I guess the New commander 2 is not  sportie enough for you folks.

"The Michelin Commander 2 is now really available in a 200/55/17R 78-V rating, 149 mph max and a full 937 pound weight rating, the latter higher than the Metzeler or the Avon Storm in the 200/50/17. This is a dual compound tire, fairly hard in the centerline and a good soft compound on the sides, for better traction and adhesion. This is just my initial impressions of the tire on the Thunderbird 1600.

Been riding with the Commander 2 in the rain and on wet pavement. The tire does very well. My dealer put on the tire at 40 psi, so similar to the 40-42 psi I used on the Metzeler. Left the Metzeler on the front. Even though the tire is about 1 cm higher in profile, it is not particularly noticeable and it fits well inside the fender. The sidewall is a bit more stiff than the Metzeler and the tire is made with a dual compound, where the tire is harder in the center, and yet nice and soft on the sides, where cornering and adhesion are particularly important. I notice that the tread is deeper than some other tires and the water run-off design is very effective. These are just initial impressions. So my initial observations of wet pavement performance are positive. If people have the choice, these tires will break in quite well on asphalt pavement and rock-based asphalt is a bit better than other asphalt forms. I would expect that tire break in would take a little longer on concrete highways. No big woop, just ride at different speeds, do not use heavy braking if possible until you get some miles on the tire and no heavy acceleration first off. The tires are slightly slick from the mold, so don't start doing 30 degree leans right away. :) Want to hear other riders' experiences so riders get a balanced view of this new Michelin tire. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary, but it is quite likely to be a lot more on this new Michelin Commander 2 than Metzeler and more than Avon Storm. :) The other tires are very good tires, but it seems that tire life was never a primary design essential. Looks like 100-200 miles is sufficient for a reasonable break-in. Please post your observations about this tire on the forum, both the good, the bad and the ugly. "

Well I'm going to try a 200 55 17 , I guess I'll stay with the 120 70 front