• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bikemaster Lithium Ion Winter Zzzz

2andblue

COG Executive Director
Headed out to fire up Blue for a quick afternoon ride before pulling the forks. Machine has been in an unheated garage for +/- 90 days. Pressed in the key AND nothing; no dash, no clockwork, nadda = 😴…

Hooked up the Li-ion specific charger to the battery port and the charger did not recognize a battery was on the other end or the battery’s Battery Management System (BMS) was in protection mode.

Pulled battery to find it was reading 8.6V 🤬. The battery was supposed to resist cold storage discharge and not require a constant trickle, hmm, lesson learned there.

In a previous life I have used Li-ion batteries extensively and I am aware that a sleeping cell can ruin the battery’s ability to revive, balance and store a charge. They are not as volatile as made to sound, however, care is needed.

Next is completely AT YOUR OWN RISK however will share what I’ve done to revive the battery. Again this is for a Li-ion battery that is not totally dead - such as key or headlights left on for extended periods. Again the BMS is supposed to shutdown to protect overdraw and death of the battery but still use care here. This is only meant for use with a moderately over-discharged battery such as this where the battery is still reading a voltage, albeit not near what it should be.

To get a proper Li-ion cell balancing charger and battery’s BMS to work you need ~ 3V per cell. To achieve minimum voltage for a cell balance check I hooked up a lead-acid trickle charger to obtain 12.2 volts (3 minutes) then switched over to a proper Li-ion charger to obtain a reading of all cells’ health. All passed and battery is now charging at full charge with the balancing technology of the BMS and Li-ion charger working.

Will know very quickly, then long term ill monitor. I am slightly pessimistic over the battery’s capacity due to the excessive drain down to 2.15V / cell and the requirement we have of a high draining starter... Will provide an update.

Wayne

Glad you woke the battery up!
Li-Ion cells have an extremely low self-discharge, going months without needing a charge, but that's if they're disconnected.
The bike is going to have a very small load on the battery just sitting. There are several items: instrument cluster (if nothing else, to keep the clock and other settings) the generator, ECM, etc.
I didna quick calculation because I was curious, and 90 days = 2,160 hours. A 7 mA load will add up to 15.1 Ah. Do you know the Ah rating if the battery?

I have used Li-Ion on a couple of bikes. Other than the Conni they have worked great! On my Conni (2012), I killed one battery and was able to revive another one. The conclusion I came to was that a Li-Ion battery on a Conni doesn't have to sit on a charger every day but it does need to be charged every few weeks. I just leave mine on a charger now.

Glad you woke the battery up!
Li-Ion cells have an extremely low self-discharge, going months without needing a charge, but that's if they're disconnected.
The bike is going to have a very small load on the battery just sitting. There are several items: instrument cluster (if nothing else, to keep the clock and other settings) the generator, ECM, etc.
I didna quick calculation because I was curious, and 90 days = 2,160 hours. A 7 mA load will add up to 15.1 Ah. Do you know the Ah rating if the battery?
Ah rating for this battery is 4 Ah…

What saved the battery from getting killed is the BMS, shutting off all discharge after a certain voltage per cell is reached, probably 3.0V …

Battery seems fine, cranked instant, few stops and starts today no issue.

We have up to a foot of snow coming this week, Grrrr, salt just got rinsed off the roads. Regardless performing preventive maintenance on rebuilding forks - will see where the battery lands in a couple weeks when the roads clear again, purposely not plugging it in…. Agreed long term storage will have the Li-ion maintainer plugged in.

Wayne

Ah rating for this battery is 4 Ah…

What saved the battery from getting killed is the BMS, shutting off all discharge after a certain voltage per cell is reached, probably 3.0V …

Battery seems fine, cranked instant, few stops and starts today no issue.

We have up to a foot of snow coming this week, Grrrr, salt just got rinsed off the roads. Regardless performing preventive maintenance on rebuilding forks - will see where the battery lands in a couple weeks when the roads clear again, purposely not plugging it in…. Agreed long term storage will have the Li-ion maintainer plugged in.

Wayne

When you move to Florida with everyone else, don’t forget to change your member location.