• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Blinking light on dash

axxman

Moped
Can someone please tell me what the blinking red light on the left side of the guage cluster is for? When I turn the bike off it blinks for a while then stops. Is this normal??

Thanks,
Jay

ZG said:
Yes, normal. It will stop after about a day if you don't turn the key on.

Thanks ZG :beerchug:
But what is the light for? All I can find in the manual is that is a warning light.

IIRC, mine also blinked when I holed a front tire. I believe that this red light will flash if any of the bikes sensors are reading a fault..(Engine temp,oil pressure, tire pressure, etc.)

You can turn it off so it doesn't blink when the bike is off, the owners manual tells you how. I forget exactly, but it's something like press and hold the 2 buttons on the console within a few seconds of powering the bike off.

Ignition disable activation indication.  Stops after predetermined idle time.

Scott Bechler said:
Does anyone read an owner's manual anymore?  :-[

When the key is turned to “OFF”, the warning indicator light will start flashing indicating that the immobilizer system is enabled. After 24 hours have passed, the warning indicator light will stop flashing; however the immobilizer system is still
enabled.
• The warning indicator light flashes if an improperly coded key is used, or any incorrect communication between
antenna and key has occurred. However, when a properly coded key is used, and the communication is clear, the warning indicator light does not flash.

NOTE
* Warning indicator light flashing mode can be set to either ON or OFF. Push and hold the upper and lower buttons
simultaneously for more than two seconds, within twenty seconds of turning the ignition key to the “OFF”
position, then the warning indicator light will not flash.

* The warning indicator light flashing mode cannot be changed if it is indicating a problem with the fuel injection
system or KIPASS system. If the warning indicator light flashing mode cannot be disabled, there may be a problem with the fuel injection or immobilizer system. In this case, have fuel injection system or KIPASS system checked by an authorized
Kawasaki dealer.

* When the battery is connected, warning indicator light defaults to flashing mode.

* When the battery voltage is low (below 12 V), warning indicator light flashing automatically stops to prevent
excessive battery discharge.

ZG said:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: ROTFLMMFAO  LMAO  .OH MAN !  STOP STOP I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING !  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Trouble said:
ZG said:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: ROTFLMMFAO  LMAO  .OH MAN !  STOP STOP I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING !  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I don't understand what was so funny about that statement. Enlighten me Harley guy :-[

Axxman said:
Trouble said:
ZG said:

I don't understand what was so funny about that statement. Enlighten me Harley guy :-[

I'm confused too...  :017:

Axxman said:
Trouble said:
ZG said:

Is there some significance of the term "Harley guy"? Maybe I don't understand the meaning of this statement as much as what Trouble thought was funny. In Trouble's case, it may be that he just took ZG's post different than it was meant and thought something about it was different, thus funny to him.
But I also do not understand the "Harley Guy" reference? Hopefully it wasn't an unnecessary shot towards a fellow rider's past or current choice in what he chooses to ride. Knowing that we do not appreciate or tolerate brand bashing here. We wouldn't be doing that right! If so and it was just an innocent comment, just a reminder to other forum members to try to treat other forum members with respect of their choice in motorcycles. Even if it's not what you particularly would choose or like for yourself. But I know in this case, it wasn't meant to be derogatory in any way, right!  ;)

FYI: Trouble has mentioned on numerous occasions that he's new to sport bikes and the C14 in particular just having come from riding Harley's throughout his riding history. 

EnsoniqDude said:
FYI: Trouble has mentioned on numerous occasions that he's new to sport bikes and the C14 in particular just having come from riding Harley's throughout his riding history.

OK, that explains it. Appreciate the clarification.  ;)

EnsoniqDude said:

Thank you, I couldn't of said it better myself :beerchug:

Bob, Me thinks you take this stuff way to seriously...Lighten up brother :)

Axxman said:
EnsoniqDude said:

Thank you, I couldn't of said it better myself :beerchug:

Bob, Me thinks you take this stuff way to seriously...Lighten up brother :)

Your right, I do sometimes. But unfortunately, sometimes I have to be offensive to avoid conflict before it starts. It sucks when you start getting the PM's and reports when folks don't understand or someone does get out of line. So my apologies if sometimes I do sound uptight. Most the time I could personally care less until it is a problem. But with the big bucks I get with this gig, I gots me a job to do to keep the other folks happy as well.  :)

Cap'n Bob said:
But with the big bucks I get with this gig, I gots me a job to do to keep the other folks happy as well.

We need to double your salary.  ::)

EnsoniqDude said:

OK !!!!!!! You can't be a Harley guy without a Freakin Harley now can ya. lol

And as for what's so funny ? Like it would KILL one of us to read the owners manual. In the first few pages it explains everything encluding the blinking light . It get's me how men wont read anything !  Just hit me as funny !

Trouble said:
EnsoniqDude said:

OK !!!!!!! You can't be a Harley guy without a Freakin Harley now can ya. lol

And as for what's so funny ? Like it would KILL one of us to read the owners manual. In the first few pages it explains everything encluding the blinking light . It get's me how men wont read anything !  Just hit me as funny !

No sweat my friend :) I did in fact look in my manual but didn't see anything other than that is is a warning light :-\ but anyway I got my answer so thanks to all that responded :beerchug:

I installed new horns yesterday (FIAMM 74100 El Grande - Twin Horns) on my 2011 C14 and used Fred Harmon's rely wiring diagram (http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/image/128800500) rather than the diagram that came with the horns.

I disconnected the battery to install the inline 10 AMP fuse, and used the original horn mounting bolt on the forks for the horns' ground. All went well. Started the engine, honked the horns (nice sound, but not blow-the-skin-off-your- face loud), and shut it off.

Then the Warning Indicator Light starting blinking but there was no message in the multifunction meter display.

I turned it off, disconnect and reconnected the battery terminals (+ & -), started it again, honked to test, and shut it off.
The Warning Indicator Light is still blinking today after being turned off for 16 hours.

Steve Smith's post  on this thread from the manual states:
"* When the battery is connected, warning indicator light defaults to flashing mode.

And:
"When the key is turned to “OFF”, the warning indicator light will start flashing indicating that the immobilizer system is enabled. After 24 hours have passed, the warning indicator light will stop flashing; however the immobilizer system is still enabled."

Did a search, read the posts, didn't find anything exactly like this. I will wait another 8 hours to see if it goes off.
Since there is no message in the multifunction meter display, and the bike starts and runs OK, could it be a ground fault?
Is the original horn mounting bolt on the forks a viable ground?

Wait another 8 hours, you've answered your own question, no offence... It will go off after 24 hours, this is normal.

"* Warning indicator light flashing mode can be set to either ON or OFF. Push and hold the upper and lower buttons
simultaneously for more than two seconds, within twenty seconds of turning the ignition key to the “OFF”
position, then the warning indicator light will not flash."

-----------------------
OK, I waited 24 hrs and the Warning Indicator Light stopped flashing. Then I restarted & turned off and it resumed flashing.
Within 20 sec. I  held the upper and lower buttons simultaneously for more than two seconds and it kept on flashing.
Did all the steps a couple more times with the same result.
-----------------------

"* The warning indicator light flashing mode cannot be changed if it is indicating a problem with the fuel injection
system or KIPASS system. If the warning indicator light flashing mode cannot be disabled, there may be a problem with the fuel injection or immobilizer system. In this case, have fuel injection system or KIPASS system checked by an authorized
Kawasaki dealer."

----------------------
So I must have something wrong with  the fuel injection system or KIPASS system? But it starts and runs fine.
All I did was disconnect the battery and install horns. As far as I can tell, there are no blown fuses, wires aren't crackling, no smoke,
and no other signs of anything wrong.

Does the system have to be reset after disconnecting the power? 
Perhaps I did not ground the horns correctly. Would that trigger the Warning Indicator Light?
This doesn't seem "normal" to me.
----------------------

UPDATE:

Got the Warning Indicator Light  to stop flashing, finally.
Apparently, there was no problem other than the WIL itself.
Talked with a mechanic at my local dealership about the problem to no avail.

It started flashing after I installed the horn. All my efforts to correct the problem--including checking the horns' ground, all the fuses, and repeated efforts to reset within 20 sec. of turning the ignition key off--where after initially reconnecting the battery.

My wife suggested disconnecting the battery until the WIN goes off. I did, and it did. After turning the ignition back on, then off, it started blinking again. I held both the upper and lower buttons within 20 sec. and the blinking stopped. Then I did it again to enable the WIL and it reset OK.

What I still don't get is what makes a flashing Warning Indicator Light "normal"? Anytime the battery is disconnected, a new farkle, a blue moon?

--------------------------------------------------------------
"* Warning indicator light flashing mode can be set to either ON or OFF. Push and hold the upper and lower buttons

Jay said:
UPDATE:

Got the Warning Indicator Light  to stop flashing, finally.
Apparently, there was no problem other than the WIL itself.
Talked with a mechanic at my local dealership about the problem to no avail.

It started flashing after I installed the horn. All my efforts to correct the problem--including checking the horns' ground, all the fuses, and repeated efforts to reset within 20 sec. of turning the ignition key off--where after initially reconnecting the battery.

My wife suggested disconnecting the battery until the WIN goes off. I did, and it did. After turning the ignition back on, then off, it started blinking again. I held both the upper and lower buttons within 20 sec. and the blinking stopped. Then I did it again to enable the WIL and it reset OK.

What I still don't get is what makes a flashing Warning Indicator Light "normal"? Anytime the battery is disconnected, a new farkle, a blue moon?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Every time you turn the key off the light will blink for 24 hrs then turn off. This is the way the bike is set up. It does not mean there is a problem with the bike. Every time you turn the key back on it will start the 24 hour timer as soon as you turn it back off. :)

The previous owner of my C14 must have turned off the Warning Indicator Light Immobilizer System flashing mode and I enabled it when I disconnected the battery, mistaking what was a new thing to me as a fault of some kind. I had never seen or heard of that feature before.

Here's what really got me:
"If the warning indicator light flashing mode cannot be disabled, there may be a problem with the fuel injection or immobilizer system."

As Steve's post stated, and on page 57 of the owner's manual under general information:
"When the key is turned to “OFF”, the warning indicator light will start flashing indicating that the immobilizer system is enabled. After 24 hours have passed, the warning indicator light will stop flashing; however the immobilizer system is still enabled. "

OK, I get it. The Warning Indicator Light has multiple functions:

1) As an indicator that the immobilizer system is enabled.
2) If an improperly coded key is used, or any incorrect communication between antenna and key has occurred.
3) A problem with the fuel injection system or KIPASS system.
4) A problem with the KIPASS system.
5) Any "problem" with the bike that has a code.

The fact that I could not reset it threw me into thinking something was wrong. Not until I disconnected and reconnected the battery a second time could I get the WIL to stop blinking by holding down both buttons withing 20 sec. of turning the ignition off. Must've been some sort of glitch.

The whole while I thought there was some sort of fault that I was missing when all it needed was a reset of the reset function.
So I figure that I'm not a complete moron, just a confused owner of a much more complex bike than I've ever owned...that I am now much more familiar with.

Happy New Year!  ;)