• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bluetooth Headset Recommendations?

bigpoppa

Bicycle
Hey All,

Looking for some feedback on "regular" Bluetooth stereo headsets. I'm currently using a Plantronics Backbeat 903+ and for the most part it's fine. My only major gripe is that using it with my HTC Incredible, the helmet sometimes pushes against the call button initiating a voice dial session. Usually it times out if I don't say anything, but I have had it make a few interesting calls...some of which have actually gone through to real numbers.

I don't want to get a helmet specific Bluetooth setup, just a small, stereo Bluetooth headset that will fit inside my helmet. Preferably one that will play music and let me hear the GPS on my phone without any voice funtionality (I don't want/need to make calls while I'm riding).

I've looked for ways to disable voice dialing on my phone, but it appears the only way is to root the phone and permanently delete the default app, which I'm not willing to do.

I've been scouring the web for Bluetooth stereo headsets, but so far, they're all either bulkier than mine (meaning they won't fit inside the helmet) and/or do not come in an audio only model.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...

I have and like the Sena-10 unit.  I DO NOT interface with my cell phone 'cause I just don't need to be 'touched' that badly.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-smh10-intercom/
http://www.senabluetooth.com/

How about just getting a blutooth dongle that a regular set of ear phones will plug into? Then you won't have the issues with buttons getting pushed in the helmet, and you can use small earbuds.

I got a set a while back that was cheap.  I would have to go home and see what it was.  I think it was made by HP believe it or not.  It was a base unit that plugged into any mini jack audio and a remote unit any headphone would plug into.  It had really poor sound.  To much noise to use in quiet conditions.  It would have worked fine on the bike since the noise levels are so high.  Next was battery life.  It would not last all day on a charge.  Then last but not least was all the powering up and linking up I had to do every time.  I went back to a wired system.

Thanks for the reponses guys...I'll continue searching to see if I can find a Bluetooth module I can plug regular headphones into. That would be ideal since I have a pair of regular over-the-ear buds that work great inside my helmet. If I could plug those into some kind of dongle that would connect to my phone over Bluetooth, that would be ideal.

So far, the ones I've found have usb-connector headphones. I'll keep looking though.

You can get the Sena unit with an option to use your own headphones instead of the helmet speakers.  I am a big fan of the Sena, and the sound from the helmet speakers is great.

I didn't care for the volume of the Sena speakers so I got the base that has the plug for standard ear buds.
But, he is looking for a blue tooth that will fit inside of his helmet.  The Sena will not.

I also would like a bluetooth headset to use to hear music and not have wires everywhere.  I have an old phone I use just for an mp3 player that has bluetooth on it.  Wireless headphones would be all I need but I'm not shelling out $150 to $200 for a set no way.

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone.

After much Google'ing I ended up ordering a Jabra Clipper: http://www.jabra.com/sites/mobile/na-us/products/pages/jabraclipper.aspx

I should have it in a few days and I'll post my impressions after using it a few days. I looked at a couple of Sony Bluetooth stereo receivers but I was unable to find two of the models (BT15 & BT30) and the one model I was able to find (MW600) had an FM tuner which seemed redundant with my phone's features. Besides, I found a really good price on the Jabra Clipper on Amazon.  :)

It looks like you still have to use headphones though, right?  Its just a bluetooth connection to your phone and earphones.

"Up to 6 hours talk time and up to 8 days standby time"

This is what bothered me about the one I got.  At near full volume, like on the bike, I bet you get about 3-4 hours at most.  I ride longer then that most days and the only way to recharge it was from wall power or a computer.  I did not have either one on some trips.  It will be nice for you to try it and see if the sound is better.  Good luck.

Eddie_Bohanan_TN: Correct, it's just a receiver between your bluetooth device and regular headphones. The mic is in the Jabra Clipper itself.

smithr-scad: Yeah, the short battery life wouldn't work for long rides. I'll be using this during my commute and on weekend joy rides (a few hours at most). I won't be making any really long pleasure rides until next summer so I have time to get a better solution by then. As for charging it, I'm hoping that since it's a micro-USB connector, that I can use my the same charger I use to keep my phone charged while on the bike.

smithr-scad said:
"Up to 6 hours talk time and up to 8 days standby time"

This is what bothered me about the one I got.  At near full volume, like on the bike, I bet you get about 3-4 hours at most.  I ride longer then that most days and the only way to recharge it was from wall power or a computer.  I did not have either one on some trips.  It will be nice for you to try it and see if the sound is better.  Good luck.
There are actually adapters out there that let you plug into a cigarette lighter socket and charge usb devices.  I've seen them when searching or other devices...

As promised, here's an update on my impressions of the Jabra Clipper.

I really like the small size of it. The only downside to it's physical design is that you can't open it too far without bending it out of shape. That being said, it's fairly easy to clip it to a shirt pocket. No way am I clipping it to my inside leather jacket pocket without bending it.

I love being able to use a comfortable earbud with over-the-ear loops under my helmet. The earbuds stay on when taking my helmet on and off. The added benefit of not mistakenly initiating voice-dialing on my phone is the biggest plus.

I used it this weekend for a ride where I needed to use my phone's GPS and I was able to hear the turn-by-turn directions clearly...granted it was at around town speeds, but even the highway directions came through loud enough for me to hear.

Music playback is a mixed bag...mainly dependent on how my music was ripped and at what volume level. Even so, at freeway speeds, most music is relegated to background noise, but that's okay for me.

I did make one phone call with the Jabra clipped to my shirt pocket while my jacket was open. My wife indicated she could hear me fine. Granted I wasn't riding and was just walking. I don't think there's any real way to try and take a phone call with this receiver while riding (not that I want to make/answer calls while riding anyway).

At any rate, there's my personal review.  ;)

I bought a pair of Interphone BlueAnts two years ago and they are great.  Can be used to bluetooth thru your phone, MP3 player and also serve as an intercom.  I have mine toothed thru my Zumo 550 GPS to get all these features.  The only downside is it will not bluetooth the XM radio function but all the others work fine.  Ebay has the newer generation which are much better than my original version and they are in stereo.  Look up Interphone and see the many options.

I recently purchased the J&M Bluetooth setup for my helmet.  I connect it to my Motorola Droid X for both music and phone uses.  So far I have had no issues and the sound is far superior to all others.  Well worth the price.  Rider magazine this week covers 6 different Bluetooth headsets for helmets.  Gives a good look at the big ones on the market.