• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bluetooth Modular helmet - Boom or Wired Mic question - Placement

carlc376

I searched and found a few references to this issue, but the questions were a bit different than mine.  I have an HJC IS-Max2 (5x size) modular helmet.  I am looking to get a Bluetooth headset of some sort.  It seems that a boom mic is the preferred choice for a modular helmet.  However, when I have the front of the helmet closed,  I have less than a fingers width between the helmet and my lips/chin. 

My question...
Is the boom mic supposed to fit in front of the lips with the modular faceplate closed?  Or will it work being positioned just under my chin? 

Chris_MI said:
My question...
Is the boom mic supposed to fit in front of the lips with the modular faceplate closed?  Or will it work being positioned just under my chin?

Hi Chris,

I had a HJC IS-BT modular helmet with a SENA headset with boom mic.  I chose to place the boom right in front of my lips even with the faceplate closed.  This position gave me the best wind-free usage.

Now I gave that helmet to my brother when I replaced it with a Shoei this season.

I moved the Sena headset to the Shoei.  The boom mic now sits in front of my lips and the Shoei faceplate closes just fine.

Matt, a.k.a MWH

Shoei with Sena headset
Shoei with Sena

My boom mic is placed *inside* when the face is closed down (using a Shoei Neotec). When I bought my Sena 20S with the Shoei, I found the following video for installation. Don't worry about the language as it's subtitled, but he clearly outlines what he did which is what I did too. But during the summer I removed the bottom chin cover to allow more air in and the boom mic can move more freely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwJVkRqALkw

I have the SENA SMH10 and a modular. The mic fits under and inside the Chin Bar and the mic sits right below my lower lip. It rubs against my chin, right below my lower lip, but doesn't ever bother me! I have a short beard which is probably why I feel the mic.

The wife and I use the UClear HBC 100, which provides voice-activated intercom, Bluetooth to my phone (both calls and stereo for music).

The 100 series is a bit long in the tooth (5+ years old) - the 200 is newer and has more functionality (plus bigger buttons). One big plus is the 200 can be upgraded via USB.

No boom microphone - has mic's built in to each speaker, so it can sense noise and suppress it. Works so well I've taken calls while riding with my helmet open and people tell me I sound like I'm in the car. (Just testing - haven't used it that way in years).

For music the sound is good, and the battery lasts 12+ hours with Pandora running. Volume is just loud enough with my cheap HJC helmet (later added Quiet Ride muffs and now the volume is fantastic).

http://www.uclear-digital.com/product-cat/power-sports/

Think a single HBC200 is about $120 on Amazon.

Boom.

I use a SENA SMH-10 with earbuds and boom mike in Shoei Neotec. Mike is directly in front of my lips and is not an issue despite mild contact. Usually on the slab I will push it forward to the front brace.

I chose the boom over the wired mike so that I can change out complete assembly in just a few minutes if need be.

I use the boom on the modular and the mic on the full face.

Boom I adjusted so that it touched my lower lip on the left side.  Any further away and she had a harder time hearing me.

I did finally get a Sena and installed the boom mic that was included.  It sits against the chinbar and applies slight pressure to my lips when chinbar is secured. It is a close fit but seems to work well.

I have an HJC modular and I have the boom mike positioned so it's just above my chin, just below my lips, and pushed as far into the chinbar as it will stay and it's just right. The bar will go up and down without moving the mike and the wind noise to my passenger over the intercom is minimal she says.  The instructions that I found online somewhere said the boom mike holds up better because it doesn't get moved up and down.

I'd like to see a pic of how you mounted it. How does that work? That's a lot of space for your voice to travel while riding...isn't it? I'm assuming she can't hear you with your face shield raised while riding...right? Post some pics of how you mounted it.