• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

BMC vs K&N vs Stock air filter

DocPigskin

Training Wheels
Just looking at feedback on available air filters.  I have usually used the K&N system in the past in both cars and bikes with mixed results.  I am not familiar with the BMC brand but it looks like it is a rather common filter that people on this forum are using.  Any feedback from those that are using it?
Thanks.

DocPigskin said:
Just looking at feedback on available air filters.  I have usually used the K&N system in the past in both cars and bikes with mixed results.  I am not familiar with the BMC brand but it looks like it is a rather common filter that people on this forum are using.  Any feedback from those that are using it?
Thanks.

Same question here too.  The OEM filter is $33, which would be a good down payment on a reusable filter.

I'm a big fan of filters you can clean and re-install.  I have a K&N on my C10, and always thought I would put one on the C14, but there were several posts on the "other" pre-crash site with negative opinions regarding using K&N on the C14.  Don't remember why though.

The BMC filter is pretty much just like a K&N. They're both great filters. Clean, oil and re-use. I think that a lot of people use them have also bought other things at the same time (like a power commander). If you buy a power commander from fuel moto. They will include the mapping for the bike for different applications. And they carry the BMC brand. So your mapping is already set up to your style air filter, exhaust and whether or not you have the flies out. So I think that's why you see a lot of BMC filters on the C14's.

I have had both types in cars and motorcycles.  My C10 had a K&N.  I think I am going to stay with the standard dry filter on my C14.  Oiled filters, no matter how hard I tried to put just the right amount of oil on, would end up coating the airbox with oil.  I think this is because the airbox gets very warm right after you shut down and park. 

Especially on motorcycles, it is almost impossible to clean out the residue and the dirt and grit that accumulates.  It was a real pain on my C10.

With a dry filter, at least you can reach in with a vacuum nozzle/brush and thoroughly clean the airbox before putting in a new filter. 

No matter what filter you use check it a couple time a season. I've found the C-14 gets the air filter dirty quite fast. Might be the ram air (first I've owned), or the immense amount of air the 1400cc torque monster inhales.