• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

BMW F800ST is an awesome companion bike to a C14

M

millsan1

I have a 2010 C14 and love it for all the reasons we all do.

My GF started riding two months ago.  She took MSF course and we also had her do a 2 hour private lesson with an MSF instructor.  (BTW, I recommend the NJ Riding Academy wholeheartedly).

We bought her a Rebel 250, which I promptly sunk some cash into to make it a good bike for her.  It was an 86, so it needed little things, but w/e.  She rode the bike for a week, put 500 miles on it, and decided she wanted another bike.  Her skills were very good for a beginner at that time, so I gave it my blessing, and we started looking.  She was all set on a Ninja 500, until she happened upon the F800ST, and fell in love with it.

I took the 800 for a demo ride (Thank you BMW) and liked the neutral handling, and passive power delivery below 4,000 RPM.  It got bonus points for ABS and trip computer.  We started trolling sites for a decent, recent vintage model, with an eye towards buying one "if the price was right".  Well, right before Memorial Day Weekend, we found a 2010, ABS, 200 miles, Frame sliders, computer, yada yada.  Asking price?  $11,500.  Sold price, with no haggling?  $10K.  Max's Cycles in CT, NY and NH are excellent people.

We fitted the bike with the Ultra Low seat option.  We also fitted her with 1/2" lift on her shoes.  I lowered the forks 1" and had a 1" lower rear shock put on the bike, and had the shock set for her weight.  At Americade, we added a Givi screen.

Bike fits her, 5'3", 28" inseam, perfectly with those mods.  She can flat foot, and the givi screen lets her tuck completely out of the wind, without crawling under the tank.

In the last 6 weeks, she has put over 2500 miles on the bike, including a trip to Americade and several 250 - 300 mile days of just riding around.

The bike is an excellent companion bike for these reasons:

It is a Sport Touring bike, so it handles, is speedy, and comfortable for longer rides.
The luggage is really cool, and holds a lot of stuff (It collapses to smaller dimensions when not packed, but expands to hold a bunch of stuff)
The bike is quick when you want it to be, and gentle when you need it to be (before making the suspension mods, I had it up to an indicated 140)
It fits a short person with very small mods
It is a good looking bike
The fuel mileage is 25% better than the Connie, but the Connie has 25% more fuel capacity.  End result?  We both need fuel at the same time (200 miles or so, she take 4 gallons, I take 5)
The bike will cruise all day at 80 MPH and not even breathe heavy
There are almost no vibrations
Site lines form the saddle are excellent, with nice wide mirror stalks

Overall, I can not think of a better companion bike, if your SO is slightly shorter in stature, and has the desire to ride some miles.

YMMV

I've gotta start lovin' Chinese motorcycles or I'm gonna be left behind.

Triumph 850 Tiger but not on a hot day.

agreed...a friend of mine bought one before i went overseas and i was super impressed with it!  very smooth, great torque across the range, plenty of power and comfort!  i wouldnt mind owning one at all!

Update.

This is really a cool ride.

Two weekends ago, my GF and I took an 800 mile ride from 11 AM Saturday to 6 PM on Sunday.

She is very comfortable now, but not overconfident.  That being said, we hit some speeds that should not be published.  OK, 125.

In addition to the slab, we rode skyline drive for about 200 miles.  Lots of fun.

The mid range on the 800 is great.  If we are both at 65 or so and just roll on, she pulls me for a few seconds.  I know the C14 is in it's torque valley at that speed, but it is fun to do roll ons with her and have her pull ahead for a bit.

I will recommend this bike to anyone looking for a mid size sport tourer.

This was my 1st bike and after a year I wanted something with a bit more power, jumped into the C14.  Sometimes I wish I still had that bike.  Handled terrific in the twisties and overall very comfortable.

Attachments

• DSC02899.JPG
    DSC02899.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 109