• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

BMW Owner (prospective Concours owner) with a few questions.

cb4017

Tricycle
Hi Folks,
I have a BMW R1150RS.  Nice bike but the riding position is a little aggressive for my arthritic knees.  I have a Versys that is a fun and comfortable but not enough bike for the wife and me.  Yesterday she and I stopped at a few dealers to see what might replace the BMW and I was impressed by the Concours.  So, I have a few questions.

I think the riding position on the Concours would be fine but if I need to open it up a bit are there peg lowering kits available?

BMW has become famous for final drive failures, transmission input shaft and drive shaft failures.  Does the Concours have any known issues such as these?

The local dealer has a new 2010 Concours ABS on sale for $13,999.  In the scheme of things is this a good price?  It seems ok but not great.

I was impressed enough by the Concours to join the COG.  Hope to be an owner soon.

Thank You

cb4017 said:
I think the riding position on the Concours would be fine but if I need to open it up a bit are there peg lowering kits available?

You can get lowering kits for both driver and passenger.  I got some Buell pegs that lowers the driver about 1 1/2" and moves forward a tad, got them from a Harley dealer for $40.  There are other options though.

BMW has become famous for final drive failures, transmission input shaft and drive shaft failures.  Does the Concours have any known issues such as these? I have seen a couple of post lately with guys who have 100K miles on their C14 and no problems.  I think there have been a couple of bikes that did have issues with their final drive but to call it "known issues" would be false

The local dealer has a new 2010 Concours ABS on sale for $13,999.  In the scheme of things is this a good price?  It seems ok but not great.
No comment on the 2010 as I bought a 2009 in Feb 2010 non abs for $10,700 out the door.

I was impressed enough by the Concours to join the COG.  Hope to be an owner soon.
Congratulations, and welcome to COG

Thank You

Price sounds fair to me.  Pricing depends a lot on where you are located, taxes, etc. and how much dealer competition there is in your area.  Not much around here, so that would be a good price.

I had a 02 LT for a few years; it was okay but I love the C-14 and also really like my Goldwing for long trips.

The C14 is way less aggressive than the RS.  I added 2 inch risers to mine.  That said, even with the risers, the C14 has a more aggressive riding position than an R1150RT without risers.  If you've got an RS, you've probably ridden an RT.  The C14 is inbetween.  The C14 has, IMHO, more power, is smoother and tracks through corners better.  The ride is probably a little stiffer on the C14 but you don't need to spend $1800 to get a decent suspension that doesn't wallow or dive. :motonoises:

GVmerle said:
Price sounds fair to me.  Pricing depends a lot on where you are located, taxes, etc. and how much dealer competition there is in your area.  Not much around here, so that would be a good price.

I had a 02 LT for a few years; it was okay but I love the C-14 and also really like my Goldwing for long trips.

The $13,999 is plus tax & fees.  I'm probably looking at around $15,500 out the door.  After looking at prices on ebay and feedback here I should be able to do a little better.

The more research I do the more I like the Concours.  ;D

Cliff,
Just for comparison,  I paid 15k for my 2010 brand new out the door all in INCLUDING the GTPP extended warranty.  see if they can do that....... (They will TRY to claim that the extended warranty is around a grand or so, but there is a place online selling them for around 300 IIRC....  I showed the dealer that and they threw it in :)

Phil said:
Costco member here,just bought a 2011 C14.
I paid $13,801 plus tax and got a $250 COSTCO card.
Thanks for the heads up on that Phil.  I knew they did cars but didn't know about the bikes. 8)

Go on line to costco.com and you give them your info and they tell which kawasaki dealer is their OSTCO dealer.  E-mail goes to the dealer and you have number,dealer calls you or vice versa and you go in and get the NO BS price.
Don't know where you live but MISSION MOTORSPORTS is the dealer in Irvine,CA. It was a TEST program but I saw they were going to go nationwide.

Thanks Phil.  Costco website says that program is not available in my area (Reno).  I'll check with Mission Motorsports.  Irvine would be an easy fly and ride.

I'm outta Baltimore and belong to Costco. I signed up for the motorcycle discount program and it kicked me up to a dealership in Harrisburg PA. They called me the next day with a price of $14,150 for the bike with no tax. While a good discount on the MSRP of the bike it wasn't good enough to get me to bite. A little bit of research online can yield a better price with no haggling what so ever.

Phil said:
Did it work?

Their website shows none in stock. 

I've been keeping an eye out for a nice used 2010-11.  In my state if I can find one from a private seller I will not have to pay sales tax. 

Wow, learned something new today, I had never heard that you could buy bikes through Costco!  :c017:

Cliff, if you're old enough for arthritis you're old enough to walk into a real motorcycle shop and buy what you want, ride off and not look back... unless it's time for SERVICE!  I buy beef tongue at Price Club... nothing with a crankshaft.

So, there's tons of aftermarket stuff for the RS if it doesn't fit.  The older I get (62) the closer my wrists get to my knees.  The 2007 R1200RT that I just traded in on my new C14 was very comfortable in stock configuration.  My 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon was the best seat bolted to two wheels my skinny arse ever found and I can't complain about the 67,000 miles I put in the Russell Day Long mounted to my 1998 KLR650.

Cycle manufacturers (especially Italian and Japanese) haven't met you and they haven't met me so neither of us should expect good fit out of the box.  I'll never get my wrists back over my knees on the 14.  I added the dollar-nine HeliBar chunks to lift the bars, CeeBailey Euro shield so I could see out while wearing poloroids and so my hat would stay on my head at 70.  After the first 7 miles I peeled of the seat cover, ground out an inch of foam from the seat and lowered the bunting bar 3/4", put the lid back on and it's a MUCH better fit for this ole Irish arse... and free but for the 20 minutes.  I've only gone 1200 miles but it's enough to know  all I'll need for the long haul is no seams, no cotton and my trusty Air Hawk with just a whisper left inside.  Oh, and of course the $140 or so for the Throttle Meister because Kawasaki is so...

Wondering why I'd trade in a loaded RT with 9200 miles on a new black Japa...  you know?  $2,500 for the junk ESA rear shock that BMW won't stand up to,  $2,000 for the junk ABS pump... bad dealer support and poor customer relations by BMW.  The only thing that could have made it worse would be if I had purchased it at Victoria's Secret... COSTCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOMO 

domo said:
Cliff, if you're old enough for arthritis you're old enough to walk into a real motorcycle shop and buy what you want, ride off and not look back... unless it's time for SERVICE!  I buy beef tongue at Price Club... nothing with a crankshaft.

True enough.  I'm still looking but will probably end up with a 2010 C14 from a local dealer.  I really like the blue over the 2011 colors.

So, there's tons of aftermarket stuff for the RS if it doesn't fit.  The older I get (62) the closer my wrists get to my knees.  The 2007 R1200RT that I just traded in on my new C14 was very comfortable in stock configuration.  My 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon was the best seat bolted to two wheels my skinny arse ever found and I can't complain about the 67,000 miles I put in the Russell Day Long mounted to my 1998 KLR650.

I thought about risers and peg lowering kit for the RS.  I decided not to put any more money into it.  I'd always be wondering how long my final drive, input shaft splines or gee whizzy brakes would last.

Cycle manufacturers (especially Italian and Japanese) haven't met you and they haven't met me so neither of us should expect good fit out of the box.  I'll never get my wrists back over my knees on the 14.  I added the dollar-nine HeliBar chunks to lift the bars, CeeBailey Euro shield so I could see out while wearing poloroids and so my hat would stay on my head at 70.  After the first 7 miles I peeled of the seat cover, ground out an inch of foam from the seat and lowered the bunting bar 3/4", put the lid back on and it's a MUCH better fit for this ole Irish arse... and free but for the 20 minutes.  I've only gone 1200 miles but it's enough to know  all I'll need for the long haul is no seams, no cotton and my trusty Air Hawk with just a whisper left inside.  Oh, and of course the $140 or so for the Throttle Meister because Kawasaki is so...

Every bike needs a little personalization.  My Versys fits me great but lowering the pegs made it about perfect.

Wondering why I'd trade in a loaded RT with 9200 miles on a new black Japa...  you know?  $2,500 for the junk ESA rear shock that BMW won't stand up to,  $2,000 for the junk ABS pump... bad dealer support and poor customer relations by BMW.  The only thing that could have made it worse would be if I had purchased it at Victoria's Secret... COSTCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had been thinking about trading the RS for a Hexhead RT.  Reading this I'm glad I didn't.  Besides, It seems BMW still has not sorted out the final drive problems.  I'll be getting my C14 soon, and it won't be from Costco!!  ;D

DOMO