• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bmw R1250RS

laker9142

Is anyone familiar with this bike? I was completely unaware and am now somewhat interested. Nothing I've read or watched says anything bad. 525 lbs with a pipe and exhaust valve delete. 140 hp at the rear with pipe and tune from BT. My cousin stopped to see my mom on an 8000 mile trip from Arizona to Maine and back. Seat is a stock touring seat and he said it's fine. Sits good.

Attachments

• PXL_20230902_185950751_exported_533_1693866366733.jpg
    PXL_20230902_185950751_exported_533_1693866366733.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 82
I'm only familiar with it as to name and existence. It's just the modern take on the sportier version of the RT is the way I always looked at it.

Laker, I rode the 1250 RT around Europe for 10 days... 2 up with loaded bags.

I loved the low end torque, never really explored the high end (see above) but grew to hate the so-called speed shifting tranny. Also it's got the Can-bus electrical system issues and some history of rear end issues. I loved the light steering and shorter wheelbase than my FJR.

I would vote for the BMW twin in tight twisty Europe, and the Connie/FJR in the wide open US of A.

I'm only familiar with it as to name and existence. It's just the modern take on the sportier version of the RT is the way I always looked at it.
Yes, lots of comparisons to the RT and GS. They share identical engines and drivetrains. Even the R model has the same engine.

Laker, I rode the 1250 RT around Europe for 10 days... 2 up with loaded bags.

I loved the low end torque, never really explored the high end (see above) but grew to hate the so-called speed shifting tranny. Also it's got the Can-bus electrical system issues and some history of rear end issues. I loved the light steering and shorter wheelbase than my FJR.

I would vote for the BMW twin in tight twisty Europe, and the Connie/FJR in the wide open US of A.
Thanks Rodger, good feedback and exactly the kind of info I was looking for. It's hard to beat the C14/FJR. but the 150 lb. weight loss had me thinking.

Looks like the BMW would be $3-6k cheaper depending on options. But I've come to my senses now. My 15yo Concours, worth about nothing is just fine. But it was a touch heavy to pick up when I dropped it in the middle of the road while trying to turn around the other day šŸ˜–

I rented one to ride the in Europe (Italy & Austria). Its a great bike. Comfortable, handles well and a comfy seat.

I would consider one but the price is a turn off.