• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

BrakeFree

Interesting product. I, too, would be concerned about the additional weight on the helmet. I wonder why it wouldn't /couldn't be attached to your jacket (below the neck and above the shoulder blades)?

I'd also be concerned about a driver "fixating" on the light. "WOW! Look at that. Wonder what that is?" CRASH!

Given that, according to the Hurt Report, less than 3% of motorcycle crashes are rear-end collisions AND that cars/trucks have had high-mounted brake lights for several years with no real reduction in rear-end collisions, I'd probably spend my money on some retro-reflective gear (no batteries to worry about) and additional training. Position yourself with an escape route at intersections and be vigilant when riding.

Just my thoughts, YMMV. 

TCARS!

Jim, what you say is somewhat differant from what I have read about third brake lights.
I believe the  "Hurt Report" study might have been to early in time to include the general
use of third brake lights. What you say is still and allways will be something to keep in
mind.
I have read about these lights, and yes I agree with you about the fascination factor. I
chose to go with a flashing brake light. I know someone will tell us or question the
legality of flashing things, headlights/brake lights, but I feel my safety overrides any
officers interpretation of the law. I carry a copy of the federal law. My only concern is
when I am in Canada.

Richard, you're correct that the Hurt Report preceded the installation of third brake lights on cars/trucks but the accident reports prior and since haven't shown a statistically valid difference. This is likely due to the increase in other distracting factors for drivers.  It's probable that motorcycle rear-end collisions have gone up but there's no data to prove it.

Flashing lights will only get the attention of a driver looking out the windshield. Too many these days are looking at their phone or their "infotainment" screen in the middle of the dash.  :mad:

Hi,
      Well...we all have an opinion and were welcome to it, I guess!

Being a Floridian, when I got my C14, one of the first things I did was to install, the LED red flasher brake lights on the rear!

Having grown up hunting, when a kid....

Taught me how important "motion" is!

Want to hide?

Be still and don't attract attention!

Want to be seen?

Start some commotion! (flashing lights!!!)  ;D

Attachments

• tumblr_os4963GQrl1tk46tjo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_os4963GQrl1tk46tjo1_500.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 116
Just saw this post.
Pretty interesting product.

While looking at it, I thought "Duckman" ??    and thought,, Naw it couldn't be.

But sure e'nuff it was Marc "The Duckman" Kleefstra..
Good to hear from your Buddy!

Ride safe, Ted

I like the idea. It might bee seen in the peripheral vision of some one behind looking at their phone. LED lights have given us the opportunity to do things we could not have a few years ago. 

seagiant1 said:
Hi,
      Well...we all have an opinion and were welcome to it, I guess!

Being a Floridian, when I got my C14, one of the first things I did was to install, the LED red flasher brake lights on the rear!

Having grown up hunting, when a kid....

Taught me how important "motion" is!

Want to hide?

Be still and don't attract attention!

Want to be seen?

Start some commotion! (flashing lights!!!)  ;D

Yes indeed!

That's why I also have one of those "annoying" headlight modulators.  It's proven to me--many times--that it actually catches the attention of distracted drivers.  Distracted drivers who almost pulled out right in front of me.  But then didn't.

(I also have a white helmet, and it stands out in traffic.)

I read that the unit weighs 6 ounces.  I wonder what'd be a close item in weight that could be put on the back of the helmet to see how that extra weight feels?  I like the brightness!

According to Google 1.5 cops all purpose flour weighs 6oz.  Hmm, how to explain to a cop that this bag taped to my helmet contains flour used to approximate a new safety device I'm considering purchasing...