• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Brand New To Concours

spider1955

Big Wheel
Brand spakin new to Sport- Tourers. Was out on Mar. 28th enjoying the warm weather up here in CT. Stopped in to a Kawi dealer and saw the new Concours and just had to have it. Picking it up this Sat. Been riding the Vulcans for the last 11 yrs.(800,Mean Streak, and my soon to be gone Nomad)The closest to a Concours was an early 80's Ninja. Is there a lot to get used to, ie: ABS, KTRAC, and general handling? Thanks for putting up with some newbie questions and hope to see you out on the road!!! Ride Safe

Congrats & welcome to the world of the Concours. This is a great question for the folks out there who own/ride the C14. I have never ridden a 2010 C14, so my experience is limited. I did ride a 2008 C14 and an BMW, both with ABS. I did not feel like I needed to get used to the brakes when used in normal operation. The difference was when taking the braking to the limit. I am just guessing, but the same may be true for the traction control. You might experience a slightly longer period of acclimation than you are used to because you have ridden another genre of bike for so long. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

The riding position is very different from what you're used to and I expect your body may complain for a bit. Also the C14 has a lot more power than the Nomad so be prepared when you twist the loud valve. Center of gravity is different and the Concours tends to be a bit top heavy and can be cumbersome during slow speed manuvers until you get used to her. Just take it easy and get to know her slowly. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Oh and JOIN COG!