• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

BRRR ride 2012 ?

Gypsy JR

Haven't found a thread for this, yet. Just registered on calendar and made Kabin reservation at the KOA for 9th through 12th.

Will be my first BRRR ride, I actually have a heated jacket liner and gloves I can wear, and will wear snow pants to block the wind so I'll be ok. Going to appreciate the CalSci Large in the UP position!

I am NOT coming this year if it snowing when I pull out of the driveway!

I don't like sliding down the highway on my belly doing a super man imitation with a R1200GS chasing me.  :)

Jason
The guy who stopped to help me pick up the bike says, "wow it really got slippery didn't it " No shit Sherlock!

Trust me, if there is even a 1% threat of snow, I'm canceling. But if we get a late indian summer (omg, glad I'm not a republican candidate for office, they'd crucify me for using that old phrase) it could be ok.

I've never been, and since I have heated gear now, I figure I need to use it.

Charlie, since you aren't a member, I'm not sure you can see the calendar, but here is a paste from the calendar. This event allows members to register (press register button) but I don't know if its mandatory to register in order to attend.

(VA) Brrrr Ride, Natural Bridge KOA
This ride and camp was started by Guy Young several years ago and has become a perennial favorite. 

We will once again gather at the Natural Bridge KOA just off I-81 and RT 11 to camp on Friday and Saturday nights. For those not wanting to camp, the KOA has cabins available with heaters (sort of) that will keep the chill off. To make reservations, call the KOA at 540-291-2770.  There are a few hotels and motels in the area for those that require hard top shelter. Budget Inn: 540-291-2896, Relax Inn: 540-291-2143.

Saturday Morning Breakfast: meet 8:00 AM at the Pink Cadillac Restaurant, located on RT 11 a mile north of the KOA entrance.

The ride route will take us on some awesome roads with a lunch stop, and then back to the camp for dinner and COG camaraderie.  Hopefully there will not be a fire ban in VA and we will be able to have a nice campfire this year. Any questions or comments please contact Kurt Nordstrom at the contact info below.

Date and Time
Start Date: 11/09/2012  Start Time: 5:00 PM 
End Date: 11/12/2012  Approx. End Time: 6:00 PM 
Registration Deadline: 11/09/2012  Meet Time: 5:00 PM 

Event Leader 
Kurt Nordstrom

If you need to contact Kurt, his email is kwnsdn at gmail dot com

Event Cost 
Pricing Option Name Price Deadline
Members  Free  11/10/2012 
Guests  Free  11/10/2012 

Location  (More Detail) 
Event Location: KOA, Natural Bridge VA 
Address: n/a 
Directions: Just off I-81 and RT 11 

Looks like a good one, thanks for the reminder. Ill go for sure although i wont make it there till late evening friday. No vacation days left after the Canaan trip, maybe i could call in sick that day....

This one is on my to-do list, as well.  I'm looking forward to it.  Don't have any snow tires for the Connie, so if it's bad weather  :truce:.  Hope you take the plunge to become a full member, Charlie.  It's well worth the money.  I'm still new, but I've been to a couple events, and they're a lot of fun. 

+1

I joined because Tony was in the little mc we have in locally, and he mentioned the activities.

What do they say, Join for the Bike, Stay for the People?

I joined for the activities, stayed because it will take me years to get to know the people, and eventually got the bike.

:-[ :motonoises: :beerchug: :rotflmao:

Glenn said:
  Hope you take the plunge to become a full member, Charlie.  It's well worth the money.  I'm still new, but I've been to a couple events, and they're a lot of fun.

What Glenn said, Charlie!  :great:  Costs less than an oil change................. ;D

Registered today, but miss the ability to see who else is coming after that was done. Anyway, I'd like to share a cabin with someone, but if that doesn't work out, I'll just bring my camp gear and do what I usually do. A good chance to see my northeast friends and give the thumper a little ride.
On the road right now, hanging around Nashville in between a couple of back to back rally rides ( SE Fall Rally & Spider Ride ).        Al

IronButtAl said:
Registered today, but miss the ability to see who else is coming after that was done. Anyway, I'd like to share a cabin with someone, but if that doesn't work out, I'll just bring my camp gear and do what I usually do. A good chance to see my northeast friends and give the thumper a little ride.
On the road right now, hanging around Nashville in between a couple of back to back rally rides ( SE Fall Rally & Spider Ride ).        Al

Al,

You have a aftermarket alternator on that KLR to run some Gerbings, fall has showed up early this year in VA.  They are talking freezing out by Mr. Goat Trails digs this weekend.  But the Brrr is a month and a half away, we have seen it in the low 80's in the shade, but a few years back it was 19 degrees in the morning, that's when you find out how good your battery is  ;D  Have a safe trip from the deep south  :motonoises:

kwn306 said:
Ranger said:
Thank you.  I am still debating becoming a member.  I may try to make this event......

Thanks again.

Charlie

What's to debate  ::)

+1 to getting to ride to many good informal and formal rally events every season, to being able to see a calendar of events, to using the COG Online Store to buy cool clothing, ....

Like K said, whats to debate? Try it for a year, if you don't like us, no problem.  :motonoises: :great: :beerchug:

...A Lot more information to be had...oh Coggers could go on and on...
Do you  like to ride...duh
Do yo like to make friends...duh
Do you want more  free and good information about your bike...duh

Well then...  :-[

:motonoises:    :motonoises:  :motonoises:

kwn306 said:
...we have seen it in the low 80's in the shade, but a few years back it was 19 degrees in the morning, that's when you find out how good your battery is ....  :motonoises:

YESSSSSS IT WAS A BIT CHILLY...especially for those of us that camped....in tents....sleeping on the ground......
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I'll watch the weather....seeing as i am slightly above Jason's lattitude line.....and about 5 miles from Lake Erie..... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

but it's an easy roll from here to there..... :great:

This will be my first weekend away from Martha in a year. She is still improving and said that I could go to the BRR ride. Her sister is going to stay with her for the weekend and said go have a good time. Russell is coming back and ready to ride.

Russell W Fleming said:
This will be my first weekend away from Martha in a year. She is still improving and said that I could go to the BRR ride. Her sister is going to stay with her for the weekend and said go have a good time. Russell is coming back and ready to ride.

Glad Martha is doing better Russell  :great: :great: :great: 

Look forward to seeing you again.  How is Bobby doing, we haven't seen him in ages.

Also remind that fellow (Mr. Lippy) with no internet, we expect him there as well.

Someone doesn't have internet?

I'm being facetious, many of the Vietnam Era vets I work with can't even spell internet much less use it. So we do that part for them. While strongly advising they take free computer literacy (and internet use) classes. A couple of them have failed to take that strong advise and have been shown the door until they at least make an effort.

I was trying to talk to a friend's 7 year old girl the other day. O...M....G... I thought I was talking to a pre-teen and these children are 100% wired into the internet. The newest generation, though, is different, in that they are becoming very social creatures. Their comfort zone is in a room with a large number of their peers. Take them out of that and they show serious signs of distress. It is very interesting to me, I've always been an observer of each new generation's social and technical orientation.  Have a lot of hope for the youngest generation right now, that social orientation may be something we very badly need as a Nation. Or it might just blow up and be negative when they have to stand on their own in the workplace.

As events so conspire, I cannot attend this year's BRRR ride.

I am pending a decision by VA to replace my knees in November and I need to keep the entire month clear for whenever they decide they can do it.

This event is on my calendar, as it always seems to be now. If the weather looks favourable Wednesday evening, I'll leave Thursday morning for the two day ride down from Canada. This time I'll try to rent one of those heated kabins if there is one left, instead of staying at the Budget Inn.

conando said:
This event is on my calendar, as it always seems to be now. If the weather looks favourable Wednesday evening, I'll leave Thursday morning for the two day ride down from Canada. This time I'll try to rent one of those heated kabins if there is one left, instead of staying at the Budget Inn.

I canceled my Kabin, but not sure if it is still available.

JR said:
conando said:

I canceled my Kabin, but not sure if it is still available.
Kabins are still available but the 7 day cancellation policy doesn't work for me.

conando said:
This event is on my calendar, as it always seems to be now.

Glad that you're coming, John. And bring some more Cannucks with you! Brian, Jordie, Jerry, and all the other 'usual suspects'.  ;)

We know that you guys aren't bothered by a little cold.  ;D

Thank you all for the warm welcome!  I am going to try to make the BRRR event as it is right up my alley.  I ride year round and don't mind the cold.  The snow is a different story.  :-\

I am not positive I will be there but I am going to give it my best shot!

conando said:

Glad to hear you are coming John, I'd rent you out the space under my toy hauler, even pump you down some heat but we sold it about month and half ago.  We have ordered a new one but we are not sure it will be here in time for the Brr Ride.  I should know the first of next week whether it will arrive on time, if it doesn't Sue and I will be in a KOA Kabin.

BTW, I need to talk to you about a pending trip I have to Lavigne, ON next year towards the end of August.

kwn306 said:
conando said:

Glad to hear you are coming John, I'd rent you out the space under my toy hauler, even pump you down some heat but we sold it about month and half ago.  We have ordered a new one but we are not sure it will be here in time for the Brr Ride.  I should know the first of next week whether it will arrive on time, if it doesn't Sue and I will be in a KOA Kabin.

BTW, I need to talk to you about a pending trip I have to Lavigne, ON next year towards the end of August.

Thanks for the offer Kurt.... as long as it's not near the end of the drain pipe. I don't know much about Lavigne, but I do know the owner of the Lavigne Tavern, Guy Fortier. I haven't seen him in a while, but if you get up there, say Hi for me to our Moto Guzzi friend.

klrider said:
conando said:
This event is on my calendar, as it always seems to be now.

Glad that you're coming, John. And bring some more Cannucks with you! Brian, Jordie, Jerry, and all the other 'usual suspects'.  ;)

We know that you guys aren't bothered by a little cold.  ;D
If the weather cooperates, Brian and I will be coming down. Jordie and Jerry won't be coming. At the last meeting in Campbellville, I think everybody thought that I'm plain crazy for even bringing it up.

Well Sandy has blown through and Virginia made it through pretty well.  The eastern shore was hammered with high tides and high surf, little bit of the white stuff fell in the mountains of VA & W VA.  But the weather man claims (if we can believe him) that we will get back to the seasonably cool temps.  So pack your Gerbings and load the ride routes and I'll see you at the KOA.

Attachments

• 2012 Brrrrrr Ride Routes.gdb
    229.2 KB · Views: 98
:) Great.....Roger and Rogers Friend are coming as well................ :beerchug:

Russell W Fleming said:

Dusty_Strom said:
Tommyhof said:
:) Great.....Roger and Rogers Friend are coming as well................ :beerchug:

And so are Roger's Friend's Close Personal Buddies!  :great:

Looking forward to it. Wait till you see my refurbished Wee, bring brakes

heheheheh
Dolly Sods looks like this currently....
CreateThumbnail.aspx

I believe that is Cannaan in the backround.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Won't be making the Brrrrrrrrrrrrr Ride this year, first one I've missed.......Sharry had back surgery a week ago, another week of rehab for her. Have safe rides and have an Elvis Burger for me.

klrider said:
Won't be making the Brrrrrrrrrrrrr Ride this year, first one I've missed.......Sharry had back surgery a week ago, another week of rehab for her. Have safe rides and have an Elvis Burger for me.
Sorry to hear that Pat. I'm sure we will all miss you .............and your hot sauce. I don't know Sharry, but hope she recovers well.

klrider said:

What the Grand PooBa not showing up for the Brrr Ride  :-\ :-\ :-\

Give Sharry our best for a speedy recovery.  The weather is looking great, high 50's to low 60's during the day and brisk 30's at night..........good for fire talk and beer drinking.

Good News.

Just received this from the Highland County Chamber of Commerce:

"Thanks you for inquiry! The Hunter's Pancake & Buckwheat Feast will be held
this Sunday, November 11 at the Blue Grass Ruritan Building. The hours are 8
AM - 3 PM and cost is $8 (adult) and $5 (child)."

Our dates have not coincided for the last couple of years, but looks like we're in for a Sunday departure ride to Blue Grass to pig out will be in the works this year.    :))

Woo Hoo!  I'm in.  The weather looks great.  Anyone leaving from Northern Virginia Friday afternoon that would like to ride together?

klrider said:
Great news, Guy. That's more like it!!

Hmmmmmmmm.

I fix sausage and buckwheats here all the time, but it just ain't the same. Something about having those guys wandering around with those plates of fresh 'cakes waiting to watch you try and cram them down your throat.  And the syrup is to die for. Never have mastered the gravy they bring in.

I am soooo looking forward to this. Been too long and glad they set it at a date that was convenient for us.

Shoot. I may fix buckwheats tonight to prepare myself.    :))

Is anyone interested in sharing a cabin or trailer?  I checked today and there may still be one or two left.  I'm a KOA member and get the discount.

klrider said:

Sorry to hear you can't make it Pat, but Sharry comes first, right decision, now you could sneak away early Sunday morning for some Buckwheats while she's knocked out on some vicodens and make it back before she wakes up ...My wee will be safe

I thought I saw a post that Kurt Nordstrom was buying dinner for everyone Saturday night at the Pink Caddy..........

I can't find that post. Anyone else have it?

jason
COG 62

klrider said:

Sorry to hear that Pat, I have the route programmed in from last year so we should be ok.  How many river crossings was it, I show 7 or 8 on my route :)))))))

Just finished packing this AM (don't tell Tom as he's been packed for a week).

Say hi to Sharry for me and be sure to take good care of her!  She didn't throw her back out yelling at the TV on election night did she?

Tom should be here in an hour or so and we'll hitting the road.  Direct route, all freeway......................

Wow, what a difference a year makes!

New hips, No Snow and temps in the 60's.

What a great weekend. We had a great ride down on Friday, spending time on both route 250 & 33. The Appalachian Alps.

It was good to see everyone around the fire Saturday night! Even if only for an hour or so.............

I do think we need to start working on a youth movement! Maybe bring your kid to the Burr Ride?

Hope everyone had a great ride home, we did. Did 39 all the way west through Goshen Pass (saw a Bald Eagle, 2nd one this year) north to High Town, Seneca Rocks, Canaan Valley and north to Johnstown. Great day to be alive! .

Keep your eyes on this forum for upcoming events.

Jason
COG 62

1st time in a year that was away from Martha for 2 day. Had a GREAT time rode 770 miles and about 400 of them I didn't see a car or truck. Coming up route 340 where it is 1 lane in each direction there was a HD going 45 mph in a 55 mph with a ½ mile of traffic behind him but where open to 2 lane everyone when around. Got home at 2:45.

I had a GREAT time and looking forward to next year.
Martha had a good weekend with her sister and mother.

Russell

We had a great time as well. Speaking of an HD, we encountered one on the parkway on our return trip, 20 mph through the curves and about 40 the rest of the time. Grandma in the car behind them was pissed! We finally got around and enjoyed the ride home. good to see everyone.

Sounds like a great time.  Who will write up a couple of paragraphs or provide a few anecdotes for the newsletter?  Oh, and since I have to live vicariously by those in attendance....

:TPIWWP:

I had a good time as well. Unfortunately, didn't take too many pics; kept forgetting my camera....... highly unusual for me.

Equally as bad, I had to pass on the buckwheats and made it home early (~10:30) Sunday. As much as I would have liked to hit Blue Grass, my sinus' were driving me nuts and there was no way I was going to enjoy that feast with my nose running like a leaky faucet and semi-sinus headache. I'll probably fix a batch tonight; I have the technology.

Good w/e. Even with the excellent weather, turnout was a little lighter this year than in the past. Good to see old, and new friends tho'. At my age, old friends in years past, were "new" friends this time around. I find that I can now hide my own Easter Eggs.  :'(

No pictures to share but do want to report a Bald Eagle sighting in the Goshen Pass!

Neat as shit, he was just flying along up the river about the same height as the roadway.

This was our 2nd sighting of the year. Also saw on down on 220 south of Franklin, WV.

jason

Had a great time at the Brrr Ride, even with Rogers experiments with the fire late at night.

Sue, Andy and I left yesterday, the weather was so nice we just had to get in another day of riding.

Right after everyone left on Sunday morning to go get Buckwheats this funny looking fellow showed up on a KLR asking for directions to Blue Grass.

Attachments

• Bond.jpg
    Bond.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 105
Glad that y'all had a good Brrrrrrrr Ride. Excellent weather, excellent company, excellent roads.......I missed a good one!    :(  Did make some Buckwheats on Saturday night and from the same flour.....very good, but not the same.

Jason, ALL organizations are suffereing from 'no new younger blood' coming in. Sad statement of the times. When did you ever before see posters asking people to join Rotary??

Brian, Mt. Storm is very well named! Nice pix up there. Route 42 sure is a fun road for sweepers. Knobbies optional.

With those Navy guys at Blue Grass a wonder the landlubbers even got any!  ;) With the dry weather I'll be it was easier to see those nasty rocks, Tommy.

Let's hope for a mild winter, all. May the snowblowers all remain dusty!  ;)

kwn306 said:
Had a great time at the Brrr Ride, even with Rogers experiments with the fire late at night.

Sue, Andy and I left yesterday, the weather was so nice we just had to get in another day of riding.

Right after everyone left on Sunday morning to go get Buckwheats this funny looking fellow showed up on a KLR asking for directions to Blue Grass.

Close but no cigar... Me thinks that's a Honda CRF something or other, and not a KLR.