• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bt021

I really don't have any beef with the OEM 021's. I have @ 4k miles on them and other than some flattering out they perform well in dry and wet. This is the first sport-tourer I've had so I'm not sure what to expect. My zx12 was lucky to get 1200 miles out of a rear tire but the Connie doesn't boogie quite as hard.

I read about folks on here talking about the improvemts from other tires and I can't wait to see what's up with that myself.

I have 8000 miles on my 021's and at least another 2000 of wear left but they have gotten so flat in the center that I have to pull it into a lean in the curves.  I run both tires at constant 42 PSI.  I just purchased a new pair of Pierelli Angels and hope they are as good as I have read about.  Still have to have them mounted.

GVmerle said:
I have 8000 miles on my 021's and at least another 2000 of wear left but they have gotten so flat in the center that I have to pull it into a lean in the curves.  I run both tires at constant 42 PSI.  I just purchased a new pair of Pierelli Angels and hope they are as good as I have read about.  Still have to have them mounted.

Going from 021's to Angels. Your not going to believe how much better they are.  ;)

I dont have a problem with the BT021 but then I'm not an aggressive rider. It shocks me that the mileage and performance reports are so poor. My previous bike was a VFR 800 with the BT020 ( previous version of 021 ) on which I got 21000 KM on before a bolt went through the back tire. I was told that there was no need to replace both tires as the front was still fine.
There were two local racers who loved the performance of the BT020 and found them less expensive. The VFR is about 120 pounds lighter and I did alot of two up riding with full touring bags! I've only put about 4000 KM on my 2011 C14 and I'm keeping a close eye on the wear.
Can anyone explain the science of tire pressures. I also owned a 1600 Roadstar which weighed in at over 900 pounds and ran 36 psi in the front and 42 psi in the back as did the VFR. How would the C14 perform with 36 psi in the front? It currently is the way it came from the shop at 42 psi each.
With so much riding on a tire I'm surprised that Kawasaki would choose such a poor performer as the BT021 ( according to general reviews ) especially when competing with BMW.

I ran 36 psi as I left the dealer on a test ride and they didn't feel right.  I stopped at a gas station filled them to 42 front and rear and it felt better.  And this was my first ever ride on a C14.  40 would be the least amount I would run and that would be for track conditions.

Thanks, I will stay with 42 psi front and back. After reading some very informative posts I think riding styles have alot to do with tire life and suttle differances noticed between tires. I love riding Connie with her stock slippers on and will, at 4000 KM, continue until she says her feet hurt...

I just got 4800 on my 021 (front). I hit the NC mountains about every Sunday with the wife. I had worn most of the tread off the sides of the front tire and still had some tread in the middle. I had planned on putting a PR2 on the front, but when I picked up my bike they had put a PP2 on. I was a little pissed at first untill I took it to the mountains today.  :) I don't know what to expect milage wise, but this tire made such a difference in the handling I didn't stay pissed long. Hope the milage isn't to bad. With this tire you could easily hold your line through a curve. The stock tire, 021, it was a battle with the bike to get it to stay on track.
Can anyone tell me if the PR 's handle as well as the PP's?