• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bun Cooler Report & Pics, 2013

uhoh

Mini Bike

My first COG function.  NW "Bun Cooler Rally" in Idaho - 1st wknd June 2013.

I just showed up and was warmly welcomed even though I was a brand new C-14 owner and
hadn't contributed a thing to the group, rally or forum yet.  Thank you guys and gals. 

So to contribute something to the rally, I spent a bit of time here documenting this initiation into C-14 / C-10 rallies
in the hopes of persuading another new rider to attend your rally next year ...

L & C Resort - rally site
June22013095cropsmaller.jpg

Shaded camping, hot showers, heated pool, cabins, motel rooms, real restaurant, banquet room, meeting room.

I knew this would be cool once I spied the Kawasaki poster & the nice Triumph.
June22013017-Copy.jpg

I was warmly greeted at Rally Central as I walked up, being a new-comer and the last announced registrant. 
Friday was parking lot chit chat, drinks and dinner in the restaurant.  More parking lot activities.
Then I retired to the overflow motel a mile down the road where I had a room.

So the next day one rally participant, Jeff, was looking for a partner to ride one of the routes
to the area wonders - didn't want to ride solo.  So I switched groups to ride with him.  What a fun day! 

The route directions - maybe we couldn't read as clearly as we needed to,
but we rode to our gut sense - and successfully got our photo in front of the much photographed "Tears of God Waterfall." 
June22013036.jpg

But that was the only waypoint we found!  We became kinda uncertain or lost.  In retrospect, how could we go wrong,  so repeatedly?
My partner in crime wanted to turn back because, being used to gadgets, he was uncomfortable being on a paved road
where his GPS said there was no pavement in all directions.

There was no traffic, however we then came upon a red pickup parked at the side of the road.  I stopped next to it and the kinda aged couple seemed friendly; he had a rosey complexion on and she had a bottle.  I asked about directions and was told that if I fueled up enough times I would be able to get to New Orleans.  I nodded my head, thumbs up in appreciation, and rode off.  I bet they've had a good life; probably get out of the woods once a month - and this wasn’t that day!  Next!

So we ride on.  And in due course the pavement ended.  Trees and dirt road.  AAwwwHH!  Idaho.

And then we reached the end of the dirt road.  As in the 'end of the fooking road.'  You can see the 'end of the fooking road' right here. 
OK, I didn't take my  C-14 to the end of the fooking road, but the end was only 125 yds away and I walked to it.
That's d*mn good end-of-the-road travel for a heavy road bike in my book.  Sseeesh!
bee4aeb5-639a-42ca-9123-adf63ad45ae5.jpg

And then we had a fun hike, making us a little late getting back to the bikes.  We find a gas station.  There's no pavement to drive on to reach the pump, just dirt.  This is Idaho after all, remote Idaho.  So fueled up at 5:14PM and turns out we've 60 miles to go for the 6PM banquet.  This is thru 2 towns, 10 miles of twisties and a school zone - but due to a miracle of prudent riding we arrive only 5 minutes late! 

After the banquet is the awards ceremony.  Door prizes, due to ROK we're told. 
Others win - yeah!  Everybody wins - yeah!  Even I win - yeah!  Thank you ROK.
He we are at the awards ceremony (or most of us...)
f4d8f274-848c-4be1-9a78-11d43a433c35.jpg

So Sunday AM when I rode up, this nice bike was missy an entire wheel, so sad to see ...
June22013094.jpg

actually getting a replacement front tire.  Note remains of shattered rock that punctured the tire.

Here member ... photo and description deleted

Took a fun road back.  Rumor has it that at least one of our group's C-14 had its traction control activated in a rear slide out (successfully controlled), but it wasn’t my bike so it’s just a rumor.

All told - had a whale of a time at the Bun Cooler Rally. 
Great introduction to your rallies and your people. 
Hope you’ll welcome me back.

It was great meeting so many of you!

Thanks to organizer Jim, especially, but not exclusively.

-UhOh-

Nice to meet ya... And we're glad you came. It sounds like you guys had the near perfect ride an, of course, we expect you back next year!

UhOh,
  It was fun meeting you.  Feel free to show up any time we have something going on.

Nice write-up, too.  Did you leave out any uhoh moments?

Here's another pic:  group in Grangeville
XXX

and the bike repair gather ...
XXX

deleted 2 photos because I received a notice that my forum membership had expired - it sure has been fun.
Best to you, and I mean it!

Good pictures. Good write-up. You had the best kind of day ride. Get totally lost, end up on a dirt road, go for a walk, take some pictures and make it home in time for supper grinnin' like a Cheshire cat. There's some great country around that area but sometimes the most interesting are the roads less travelled that aren't even on the GPS.

I chuckled at your last picture. It's been said (accurately) that it ain't really a COG rally until somebodies bike gets striped down in the parking lot. That usually starts within an hour of the first arrival. COG - you won't find a finer bunch of caring, sharing knowledgeable gearheads anywhere. Guess that makes the B.C. qualify.

To Jim Sherman: from all I've seen and read, you put on a first class rally. Guess I'm gonna have to keep that in mind when scheduling TBC 2014 and drag my sorry ass on down the road to Idaho. You gonna step up again next year?

D.

Gumby - a nice video!  Thanks for including a couple of mine.
Don't have really any other photos (except for the two rider hike).

RayK, Lone-rider, TimR, Nanook, Charlie_Gary_NWAD  - thanks for your positive comments. 
All helps to see if I fit in here.

TimR said:
uhoh, you going to join the Longest Day ride?

TimR - won't be doing the Longest Day Ride, but your mentioning it made me find the calendar part
of the forum, so that was an effort well spent.

uhoh said:
Gumby - a nice video!  Thanks for including a couple of mine.
Don't have really any other photos (except for the two rider hike).

RayK, Lone-rider, TimR, Nanook, Charlie_Gary_NWAD  - thanks for your positive comments. 
All helps to see if I fit in here.

TimR said:
uhoh, you going to join the Longest Day ride?

TimR - won't be doing the Longest Day Ride, but your mentioning it made me find the calendar part
of the forum, so that was an effort well spent

The actual web site is something a lot of Forum-only members don't realize we have, which is where your search for the Calendar took you.  Granted most people don't use anything beyond the Events Calendar, but it's a whole different way to get info about your motorcycle.  There's a pretty good library of technical info in the Members section, and a lot of people become full-fledged dues-paying COG members just to get access to it.  Just thought I'd mention it in case you're wondering what you get for your money if you do decide to join.  ;)

Bruce said:
Gumby, sweet video
Thanks Bruce. This video making is fairly taxing been working on Part 2 the last few days. I hope to have it finalized and posted tomorrow.

Great job, Tom. Great soundtrack. Any video that starts out "hey, y'all. watch this!", you just gotta know is gonna be fun. And then to state the obvious, everything goes better with Van Halen <g>. Looking forward to part 3. Maybe a little Whitesnake, Queen, maybe a dash of Aerosmith. LOL. ... Y'all.

The one lingering question I have is, "What would it take to get you up to B.C. to do a TBC production. Beef? Booze? Bed? Broads? Bike?"
Okay, I'm getting carried away now. LOL. (ignore the last two). I recognize that the end product is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. Thanks. Now tell me how to get the 90% to come north.

Dave

Nanook said:
The one lingering question I have is, "What would it take to get you up to B.C. to do a TBC production. Beef? Booze? Bed? Broads? Bike?"
Any and all above the above will do the trick.  :beerchug:

I'm actually heading North the week before the National. No destination yet, but I was going North for a week then riding back down to Idaho Falls for a week. PM me some directions to the BEER and BROADS  :)

Thanks,

Tom V

LOL, a couple of them are on the table.
I am actually doing a TBC do-over in about 2 weeks (Arrive June 29th, ride June 30th, go home on July 1st). If you flip back through an earlier TBC thread, you'll find some pics. Mostly folks eating, drinking and peeing on the side of the road. Not much action stuff 'cause we were having too much fun. The report and pics will hopefully give you a sense of it all.

Currently there are five of us going riding but that figure could double in the week before. I find <10 is a good figure. After that it can be like herding chickens with a helicopter. The eight we had last time was perfect.

It would be great if you decided to make the trek north. If not I'll likely meet you at some point over the summer - RTR, Regional, National.

Great job on the Cooler vids. Looking forward to more.

Dave. 

Gumby said:
I'm getting a little better with IMovie, but I'm still an amateur. Enjoy  :beerchug:

Very cool Gumby, nicely done bro!  :great: :great:

Nice job on number 2.  After watching that I can't imagine wanting to live in a different part of the country.

Nanook said:
Looking forward to part 3. Maybe a little Whitesnake, Queen, maybe a dash of Aerosmith. LOL. ... Y'all.
This is the best I could do.

If anybody knows how to prevent the lines and the beginning PM me. I tried six different ways to upload it today and I get lines on all of them.  :truce:

http://youtu.be/BqdosRG_jJM

At the rally I happened to be drawn for one of the larger door prizes.  It was to be shipped to me. 
Just want to acknowledge that it arrived about 3 weeks ago.    ;)

I got mine, too.  A really nice Kawasaki hoodie.  ;D  I'll make sure to take it to Stevenson to ensure I stay warm after dark.

Gumby,
Just watched your latest video. 
Don't know how I missed watching it earlier. 
Nice and thanks. 

[I'll plan on posting up add'l photos next yr (and earlier)]