• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Burning Smell

Rubes

Big Wheel
Looking for some help.  My 2010 C14 started developing a burning smell.  Smells like burning leaves is how I would describe it.  No leaks that I can see, but haven't pulled fairing off. 
Saw some posts on older models about this issue-loose header nuts or valve cover leaking a bit.  Mostly noticeable after it warms up.  Stronger smell when I'm at a stoplight.  It does seem to be running just fine.  Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.  Thanks!

It could be Packer revenge for past losses at the hands of the Bears  :eek: or...  I'd check any of the exhaust system you can closely inspect without removing the Tupperware, then I'd remove the Tupperware to see if you can find a mouse nest, a roast mouse or maybe some actual leaves.  I have 10K on my '10 and have never noticed a 'smell'.  Could be something like a boot heel mark on the exhaust but I think it would be hard to melt a heel on this bike.  PS There would be no point in removing the tank for this exercise.  Good luck. :)

A smell of burning leaves, by a guy that is from a place called 'woodstock' ....  Is this another April Fool's Joke...  dude...?

Debris on the pipes, small oil leak or road grime on the pipes from damp roads.  These get my votes.  I have experienced all three.  Removed some vegitation last fall from the pipes.  Always get the burning smell when the roads are wet or even damp.  Had the valve cover leak, fixed at my 15000 mile service via mama kaw's pocket book.

MizzouMike said:
A smell of burning leaves, by a guy that is from a place called 'woodstock' ....  Is this another April Fool's Joke...  dude...?

I really don't think so!  :D 

Sorry to take it off topic. But here's some trivia for y'all. Actually there are twelve states have a city or town called Woodstock including, NY, NH, OH, IL, GA, CT, VA, VT, MN, ME, TN and MD.  Of course the Woodstock festival is associated with the arts town of  Woodstock, NY (where I was growing up, when the festival took place). But the actual festival itself took place about an hour and a half away in White Lake / Bethel NY!  The town of Woodstock, NY would not allow the festival to take place in Woodstock!  :D
The actual site of the Woodstock festival has since been turned into a really nice complex called, Bethel Woods Center for the Arts. I've seen quite a few concerts there and the place is absolutly beautiful. Although the original location of the 1969 Woodstock festival's stage remains untouched as it has since the stage was removed years ago. Bethel Woods also has "THE MUSEUM AT BETHEL WOODS - The Story of the Sixties and Woodstock". I haven't had time to get there a spend a couple of hours doing the museum. But I'm thinking about a ride there this year! All in all a very cool place!

Thanks for the input...and the wisecracks.  Going to drop it off with the Kaw mechanic since it's still under warranty...I will forward your comments to him.
I'll let you know what he finds or not. 

Have you rode in the rain? Mine will get a smell like that days after rain. Ifs its not that I would check the valve cover gasket.