• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

buyers are afraid of the milege

dpounz

Big Wheel
I have a 98 listed for sale and prospective buyers are concerned about 54k mi. on the odometer. I usually tell them this is not a lot for a Connie. It runs really good, but still the 54k scares them away. What kind of life are we realisticly looking at with a bike like C10?

I sold my 97 with 63k and the buyer had researched Connies to know that was just broken in. Things that sometimes go bad by that mile mark are water pump, clutch pushrod seal or clutch star spring. None are major events and can be done by the owner for under $200. One of our members sold his with 140k miles on it for in the $4k range, though he had 3 months of his extended warranty left. That was in the Orlando area. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - it Euro Review http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US Review http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr120

My son totaled my '98 3 weeks ago (more on that elsewhere), when it had almost 90k on it. The engine still ran smoothly and had lots of pep. In fact, last week I bought a 2000 with only 33k, and it has noticeably less passing power than my '98. When shopping for a bike, I have always been more concerned if there was LOW mileage on it. When someone advertises, say, a '95 with "only 14k miles!" I shy away. That's only 1k/yr, so I fear a rusty tank, gummy carbs, leaky seals, etc. I want a bike that has been run regularly! Regards, John Wilcox, COG 7157

When I sold my '88, it had 101K on it....I still never had to add oil between changes. I took a few months, but I got $2,700 for it in 2001.

All of these numbers would be high mileage on bikes with smaller engines or built with expensive performance mods I think. People look at it too generally, unfortunately you can't force the buyer to do research. You can however advise them that they're going to be disappointed in their purchase if they don't look a little deeper into the bikes they're looking at, especially getting the opinions of enthusiasts of that model.

Where is Guy when you need him. He is the keeper of the mileage awards. Doesn't Russell Fleming have 200K+ on his C10? -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Russ' is over 200k now, Guy is about 150+k, I sold my 86 with 138k on it, all of ours run well..... the key to that longevity is regular excercise.....

Mileage, how about John Youhouse with over 250k when it was taken out of operation by a cage. Then there is also Don Ricks with over 220k on his C10. If they are scared off by 54k, then tell then to keep on walking as that is just 'broken in' for the Connie. The Connie is the Timex of motorcycles, it takes a licking and keeps on running. My Connie is about to turn 90k and ask me which one would take me on a trip and bring me home, most likely without one hick-up, that will be the 88 C10, Red Dawn. People can't believe it is over 20 years old. You can't go wrong for a dependable, long lasting MC, the C10 rules. tcars John

You guys make me feel young. My 90 just turned 40000 yesterday. Bought her with 21000 on the clock Feb. 08 COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

I buy wrecked ones and ressurect 'em. I ran the last two up near 100,000 and then give them to my son to destroy. He beat 'em up but couldn't kill 'em. Tore out final drive on a '92 at 106,000 but the engine is still strong. Let the '87 sit all last winter with fuel in the carbs and I refuse to do the labor for him. Not sure of the mileage as the speedo cable broke at some point, but it was over 90,000 in October of 2007 when he took possession. I currently have an '88 with 60,000 or so and an '04 with 23,000 that I just rode to Prudhoe Bay, AK

I want to thank you to all of you for your input about mileage. The current state of the economy has definately slowed down interest in any of the motorcycles I have for sale. I'm in no hurry to sell, I just wish I had more time to ride.