• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bypassing ABS?

cutback

Training Wheels
Hoping some of you seasoned Connie owners may know. Is it possible to bypass the ABS? I've seen this question asked from time to time, and searched but, I' haven't come up with a definitive answer.

Without asking the obvious question of "WHY?", and simply trying to answer your question, if there's a will, there's always a way.

You might be able to just pull the ABS fuse, but there's probably some warning lights at minimum that will be on to annoy you.

Can't answer to the C14 specifically, but on my V-Strom it's a simple pull of the fuse, or wire a switch into it like I have done.  Replacing the fuse or closing the switch, together with cycling the power, and everything is back to normal.  On the V-Strom, the ABS light goes out after exceeding around 5 mph or something like that.  Would imagine there is something similar on the C14?  On gravel and real bumpy roads the ABS is really more of a hindrance than a help.  I can envision lots of scenarios where you would like to disable it.

Rob said:
Can't answer to the C14 specifically,.......  On gravel and real bumpy roads the ABS is really more of a hindrance than a help.  I can envision lots of scenarios where you would like to disable it.

riiiiiiight........
:-[ :-[ :-[ ::) :-\

maybe on a Strom.....never on a C14.....
we have a CDA award program for those that want to defeat the system. :rotflmao:

MAN OF BLUES said:
Rob said:
Can't answer to the C14 specifically,.......  On gravel and real bumpy roads the ABS is really more of a hindrance than a help.  I can envision lots of scenarios where you would like to disable it.

riiiiiiight........

we have a CDA award program for those that want to defeat the system. :rotflmao:

So you don't have a specific answer to his question either then, eh?

Rob said:
MAN OF BLUES said:
Rob said:

riiiiiiight........

So you don't have a specific answer to his question either then, eh?

well, yes I do.
as the prior Tech Editor of COG I stick by the answer is DON'T.I refuse to instruct someone on defeating a safety system like this.
anyone wishing to do so should look at section 12, page 32 in the factory manual, the schematic of the system, and figure out which connector to pull.
The ABS is intgral, and defeating it could cause malfunction by back presuring the solenoids of the main valve body.
Death can occur.
there are 3 fuses controlling various functions, removing one or all, will result in malfunction......and not simple defeat.

Guys,
Thank you for all your input. I still, as before, do not have a real answer. Please, if you have the ability to help me in this question, pm me or simply post a useful response. I have 45 years riding experience and did not feel I needed to write a synopsis on why, I think the ABS, for me is too invasive. I have rode other bikes with ABS, like a BMW 1000RR(and others) on the track and without a doubt, (for me), the system doesn't suit me. In fact, my lap times are slower with the ABS bike. (way too invasive) The Connie, the best ABS system I have rode to date, is still too invasive for me. Twice, I have almost wrecked, braking from high speeds, set the bike for the corner, trail braking late..... and had the ABS kick in. NOT confidence inspiring! Simply put, I think, (for me) I am riding this bike, at times, beyond the design intent of the ABS system. I would like to take it off, or disable, and take her out and see if, given the way I use her, I like the bike better without the ABS. Bear in mind, the bikes were sold with or without ABS. If these bikes weren't safe without ABS, Kawasaki wouldn't have sold them in both options. I just happen to own an ABS model. Please let me know if you can help.

I cannot see the harm in having knowledge to disconnect abs.  It is a personal choice, after all, especially in 08.

If we follow the logic, we should never help an 08 or 09 non-abs owner since they are going to ride their non-abs machine. This could be dangerous.

I bought my 08 hoping abs would not hurt anything.  I suppose it does not, but the rear activates way too early.  No problem with the front. If the brakes were linked, forget it. I woudl have bought something else.