• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C-10 head porting

snopro00934

Can anyone tell me if some mild port work is worth the time spent? I've got the head off and may install valve seals, by then it's just grinding time. SISF any thoughts? If she is too choked up, then any port work would be for nothing. Thanks-Eric in VT

Thanks Steve I will probably just clean everything, and get the ex ports closer to the header diameter. Saves me a ton of time.

I never liked the engine as much with the new head. Tough to tune, not as sharp to throttle. Fuel economy lacking.

Steve
In the early 70's, Sonny Leonard's original shop was just up the street from our bike shop. Did a bunch of welding on his engine parts, and your JB Weld heads reminded me of a set of his aluminum heads that I welded up the intake ports on for the same reason you did - to increase the air velocity into the engine. Back then we called it de-porting.

Last edited:
I worked at an indoor Kart track. They had a few sets of karts and one set we called the 9 hp karts. They had the biggest engine and no governors. You had to pass a test to get the license to drive them. These karts were no joke. They were called sodi karts. They cost $6000. They had Honda gz270 engine. I started modifying them. I advanced timing, played with sprocket sizes, jet sizes, stiffer valve springs. Eventually I got a bunch of the heads milled. I tried my hand at porting them. I opened the intake port up. The fastest kart was the one that I killed but didn’t port. The ported ones had a slight high rpm advantage but it was more beneficial to have the torque coming out of the corners. If I were going to do anything to the Connie head it would be just to smooth the casting and remove any imperfections and not try to open anything up. Raise the compression if you could manage to compensate the timing difference.