• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C-10 Header project

jim snyder

Well Ted (Connie-Rider) decided not to sell the Contario header parts, so we have begun the assembly process. For those who don't remember the Contario header was my invention about 10 years ago blending stock Connie headpipes to an Ontario ZX-10 header, hence the Con-tario header was born. Cool huh !!

Attachments

• 5850.jpeg
    5850.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 69
Back when Jim originally did this, several of us had attempted to build *better headers for the C-10.
*Better; Produced more torque and power.

Some were successful and were able to build headers that fit the bike. (Danged hard to do)
But the better part was questionable. (because all that were built seemed to lose low end power and it was questionable if they gained any top end)

Jim came up with the idea of using an aftermarket header (by Ontario) for an early ZX-1000 and replacing the oversized head pipes with (almost) stock C-10 head pipes.
ie; Concours head pipes + Ontario Lower section = Jim's Con-tario Header system.

Jim's system worked better than any headers that we had tried to build, "and" a dyno showed it.

Anyway, I've had the components for about 10 years.
I tried to sale them, but no-one was interested, so yesterday I decided to start cutting and grinding.
(Jim posted the picture of the result above)

We decided to post what we were doing in case any of the new guys is interested. (??)

Ride safe, Ted

Was hoping that there would be some interest in a discussion about the headers?

If anyone is interested, this is the work that was done to head pipe inlets.
1697735390844.png

1697735337009.png

& this is the planned modifications to the exhaust ports.

1697735296731.png

Attachments

• 1697735319431.png
    1697735319431.png
    106.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 1697735336891.png
    1697735336891.png
    105.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
The C10 hot rodders must not be paying attention. I do have a question since I have a contario system. Can the delkevic 14 inch carbon fiber muffler be adapted to the contario? That would look awful good on my son's 87.

Can the Delkevic 14 inch carbon fiber muffler be adapted to the Con-tario?

šŸ¤£ Surely you jest?
Does a bear ____ in the woods? ,,,,,,,,Does the water ripple when a fish _____'s?
If you want it bad e'nuff "ANY" muffler can be {err} "ADAPTED" to fit.
It just takes the "want", some hand tools, and a bit of time to make it fit.

NOTE:
Jim used a Carbon Fiber Delkevic on his bike. (& I think Jim's header "is" the exact header you have).
{He may have a photo}.

NOTE #2; I have a 14" 18" (SS) Delkevic ready to install on the header we're building but I'm considering a Harley Muffler.
The bike would go Potato/potato/potato/etc at idle,
,,,,and then scream Potat-ooooooooooooooo when I twist the loud handle.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Reactions: Bud
The C10 hot rodders must not be paying attention. I do have a question since I have a contario system. Can the delkevic 14 inch carbon fiber muffler be adapted to the contario? That would look awful good on my son's 87.
As long as the inlet is the same diameter any one will fit. The reason I used the 18" Carbon fiber muffler was I didn't want it to be obnoxiously loud.

Would some riders be interested in buying a fully ironed out, well performing full exhaust system for the C10? I bet there are.

Interested in just a blueprint? Not so much. The reason? It's semi-easy to cut and weld up an exhaust.

To do it at an optimum level, so that fit and finish is top notch, and exceeding the performance of the factory system? Well, that narrows the field quite a bit.

I am humble enough to know my limitations. And crafting an excellent exhaust, is one of them.

BUT, if these 'go on sale' at some point, yeah, I'm interested...

You have a point.
Our intention is not to make something that is available for sale. We're not in the header building business.
The last Ontario Header {that I'm aware of} is being used for this header, and it was purchased 10 years ago.
So, (unless someone has another 1 stashed) one exactly like this can't be built.

We're posting it because (1) we decided to re-do the project and (2) because we know of others that are trying to talking about making a header for a C-10.

We know that the combination of stock head pipes and an aftermarket ZX-10 header worked.
We're posting our information so that others can use it as a basic plan.

ie; Were hoping that (with the info/images) it would be possible for others to find another brand ZX-1000 header (See my next post) and build something similar.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Aren't there any tinkers out there?
We used to talk projects and weird ideas on the Forum a lot.
Other tinkerers would join in the discussion to understand the idea, and/or discuss the ideas, and try to develop a plan to make it work.

It seems now-days that (if you can't just buy something and bolt it on) "no one" is interested :cry:

That's just BORING!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Aren't there any tinkers out there?
We used to talk projects and weird ideas on the Forum a lot.
Other tinkerers would join in the discussion to understand the idea, and/or discuss the ideas, and try to develop a plan to make it work.

It seems now-days that (if you can't just buy something and bolt it on) "no one" is interested :cry:

That's just BORING!!!

Ride safe, Ted
I was at one time (tinkerer) back in 2009. I've since moved on to a 2014 FJR.

Attachments

• IMG_1042.jpg
    IMG_1042.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 44
I was at one time (tinkerer) back in 2009. I've since moved on to a 2014 FJR.
Yes sir me to. Love my FJR. Don't need an oil filter adapter for those huh. Sure wish I had kept that item off of the silverbullet since it was one of the test models with no writing or numbers.

Last edited:
Welcome Dan. Glad to see ya back.
Some of us "Old Guys" are still here.

I posted that (sorta in fustration) as (it seems) that no one like's to tinker anymore.
You're ZGRX is a prime example. Lots of folks were following you're build and discussing the idea.
Now if something is listed about a crazy idea or project, we (mostly) get Crickets.

Ride safe, Ted
PS: I think you're ZGRX might still be in the club somewhere.

Mr. Dan. Thank you for coming up with the SPOOFAX System it was one of the best mods I could of ever done to my ZG 1000. I was a little nervous about installing it and I called you and you took the time to walk me thru it. I can't thank you enough for doing that for me. I have enjoyed my ZG 1000 and got a lot of help from everyone on this forum. Great bunch of guys on here. I have bought & sold a lot of bikes but this one is my forever bike. I love everything about it. Plenty of power, easy to work on, looks great, and rides like the wind.

Dean

Yes sir me to. Love my FJR. Don't need an oil filter adapter for those huh. Sure wish I had kept that item off of the silverbullet since it was one of the test models with no writing or numbers.
That was definitely a fun project and I sure valued your participation in the "test pilot" program. The oil filter adapter turned out to be very successful and I am still very proud of it.

Dan

Welcome Dan. Glad to see ya back.
Some of us "Old Guys" are still here.

I posted that (sorta in fustration) as (it seems) that no one like's to tinker anymore.
You're ZGRX is a prime example. Lots of folks were following you're build and discussing the idea.
Now if something is listed about a crazy idea or project, we (mostly) get Crickets.

Ride safe, Ted
PS: I think you're ZGRX might still be in the club somewhere.
The ZGRX 1200 is still on the road racking up the miles with great performance by the owner who bought it from me (danodemotoman).

Dan

Mr. Dan. Thank you for coming up with the SPOOFAX System it was one of the best mods I could of ever done to my ZG 1000. I was a little nervous about installing it and I called you and you took the time to walk me thru it. I can't thank you enough for doing that for me. I have enjoyed my ZG 1000 and got a lot of help from everyone on this forum. Great bunch of guys on here. I have bought & sold a lot of bikes but this one is my forever bike. I love everything about it. Plenty of power, easy to work on, looks great, and rides like the wind.

Dean
Thanks for the kind words, it was a fun project.

Dan

Hey, now! Some of us DO like to tinker! We just don't have a place to tinker....Yet.

šŸ˜Ž

-x01660