• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C-14 - front fork oil replacement

Not many manufactures include fork oil changes in their maintenance charts anymore, and I honestly don't know why. The old C10 Concours listed it at 30K kilometers (or about 18.6K miles), though it had damper rod forks.

I've spoken to some suspension experts at Traxxion, and their general feeling is that sometime between 18k-20K miles is a good interval to use to change the fork fluid in a damper cartridge type fork. I don't think you'll do any harm if you don't change it, but I do think you'll notice a difference in the ride after a fork oil change. The fork fluid breaks down and it's viscosity changes over time which will impact how it flows through the valves, and change damping rates as a result.

Most people consider me "anal retentive" but I change all fluids (fork/shock oil, brake fluid, clutch fluid, anti freeze) once a year regardless of the mileage. With all of the heat cycles all the fluids go through and just plain temperature changes here in Michigan, I feel it's necessary.