• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C10 range

ZG/ZN Kim

I am not much of a poster these days. But yesterday on my C10, I hit reserve at 245 miles, ran the tank out to 311.3 miles. I had to put in 7.394 gallons. Most miles and most gas I ever put in the tank, I normally get nervous at 6.5 gallons. But yesterday I had to make it to a gas station with very special Apple fritters.
Additional info is my average speed with this tank was around 67-68 mph (5:00 AM-9:35AM). Plus I have installed a 1/2" thick puck under my kickstand foot, so I can actually fill the tank without putting the pig on the center stand. With out it I am certain it is 1/2 gallon less.

What is the most anyone has put in their tank?

Those must be very special fritters.šŸ˜ I've gotten about the same one time too. I normally used to run it out to 200 and then look for fuel, then I'd almost always put about 5-5.5 gals in while on the side stand.

i made it to 280ish once and hadn't yet hit reserve. I figure about 300 if I run it almost dry. this for long highway trip. if stop and go city it's much less.
-tdbru

Looks like my best, when I had my C10 was in September of 2015.

301.2 miles and took 6.6 Gal to fill. Hit reserve at 254 miles.

I recently installed a brand new fuel sending unit and I am on my first fill up. Only 60ish miles so far but will update in a few day! I did a non-scientific test prior to the new sending unit. I hit reserve, added 2 gallons, rode until I hit reserve again. Average was 43mpg. Like I said, non scientific. I figure I should get 220 or so on a tank. BTW, that fill up I am on now was 5.5 gallons. So, 2 gallons reserve I am guessing.

Keep it up! šŸ‘

This is why I got a Connie, lol. Imagine if I was on a Ducati BMW; the maintanence intervals.... šŸ˜¶

That said, I still haven't seen 45 MPG, which is what I'm hoping for at some point.... Really wanna see if I can touch 320 on a complete tank....

-x01660

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but how is everyone getting such good gas mileage? I filled it up to mostly full, maybe 6.7gal, and only got 140 miles before it was completely dry. Had to walk to Tractor Supply Co to get a can of gas...

How are yall getting 35-40mpg when I'm getting 20?

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but how is everyone getting such good gas mileage? I filled it up to mostly full, maybe 6.7gal, and only got 140 miles before it was completely dry. Had to walk to Tractor Supply Co to get a can of gas...

How are yall getting 35-40mpg when I'm getting 20?
When I'm doing Doordash, I'm getting as low as 19 MPG. Highest I've seen is 40mpg while doing a sustained highway ride.

Check your plugs. And make sure your brakes aren't dragging.

-Z

When I'm doing Doordash, I'm getting as low as 19 MPG. Highest I've seen is 40mpg while doing a sustained highway ride.

Check your plugs. And make sure your brakes aren't dragging.

-Z
Thank you. Plugs are fine. I don't think the brakes are dragging as I don't smell anything. I was sending it pretty hard through the twisties for 3 hours straight...

Thank you. Plugs are fine. I don't think the brakes are dragging as I don't smell anything. I was sending it pretty hard through the twisties for 3 hours straight...

That'll do it. I DoorDash daily in Washington DC, so tons of stop and go, and lots of hard acceleration to get out of the way.

Best I've seen is 28 (when I'm doing lots of trips out to MD/VA) while doing that. I average 25 in the city. So yeah. Around 150 miles and I'm at reserve (I have my fuel arm bent, so my reserve comes at exactly 5.5 gallons.

If you have some time this weekend, try going on a highway cruise, and keep your speeds around 70mph for a LONG time, and see if you can't at least break 200 miles. You should.

Hope that helps. :)

-Z

Adjust your valves, synch the carbs, clean your air filter, spark plugs are just a few things to get your mileage up.
The only thing I haven't done is sync the carbs. I'll be doing that next week since I work weekends. Hopefully that will help the power stuttering too lol

I've done about 180 to reserve quite a few times but fully packed on a trip my best was about 140 . Bike has always ran good enough for me so I really don't sweat the mileage . My Saab cars can get up to 35mpg but they sure are alot more fun when they get 19...lol .

This is why I got a Connie, lol. Imagine if I was on a Ducati BMW; the maintanence intervals.... šŸ˜¶

That said, I still haven't seen 45 MPG, which is what I'm hoping for at some point.... Really wanna see if I can touch 320 on a complete tank....

-x01660
Take it easy on the BMW's. Some of us like to go both wayso_O

The worst my 99 has got was 190 miles to reserve. That was 2 up very little in the bags. It was on a ride from St Augustine to Daytona during Bike week. Everyone must have thought the I 95 signs were the speed limit signs. My norm is to get 230 miles to reserve. I start looking at around 175 when I am in areas I don't know. On one of our rides we went 45 to 50 miles of back road without seeing a service station.

Take it easy on the BMW's. Some of us like to go both wayso_O

When I get to the point where I have a decent amount of disposable income, I WILL be getting a K1600GTL. Then take my wife touring the US.

But right now? Yeah, I don't have BMW bucks, lol.

But I've got some years to get there!!!

šŸ˜

-Z

Yes going over 70mph will affect your gas mileage, loaded up or with two will also affect it. If you are a bit large, that will affect it. Stop/go will affect it. Riding in rain, dirt/gravel, extreme temps. The take away? Your riding habits and the bikes state of tune will almost always affect the mileage you get.

BTW, the initial buy in cost to a new BMW was essentially doable for me 2 years ago. It was the large cost of yearly service to properly keep it on the road that prevented my buying an RT.

I don't mess with gas I just fill it up when it seems reasonable to do so. By 200 miles, I'm ready to dismount anyhow....plus usually going 80+ I dont generally have the efficiency to get that many miles out of a tank.

Early on, my fill ups were never more than 6 gallons which left 1.5 gallons as my "reserve".
I always ride until needing to switch to reserve. At 40ish MPG, I had 50-60 miles to get fuel, so there was no rush.
The C-10 has long legs.

Larry

At 70 or less on easy roads, I get about 40 mpg. At 100 mph, I get about 25 mpg. The hard part is keeping it down to 70 or less.
Agreed. I too have this problem. I just look down and happen to be doing 90+...like...woops. But then again traffic in my city is pretty nuts, so I'm generally not passing anyone all that fast while doing 90+.