• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 Tire pressure sensors

dolittle

Training Wheels
Hi everyone, this is my 5th concours, not to great on al the computer stuff but love the new 14 looks to be a real ticket getter. I only have 1500 miles but the display came up rear tire pressure sensor low battery. The shop called Kaw and you have to replace the complet sensor ,can not change the battery.If it wasnt under warr it is 160.00,the dealer also says you can not turn it off.Any one have any info? Thanks Rich. PS 08

I have taken apart a tire sensor, and confirmed that it is indeed possible to change the battery, but it will take some effort and care. You have three years on the warranty, so if it goes bad during that time, just get the dealer to replace it. Once the warranty runs out, then you can try to replace the battery if you want. It is a standard coin type lithium battery with tabs welded on it. You can pull apart the sensor, unsolder the old battery, and solder in a new one. I have photos of the sensor torn apart. If you want to see them, click on this link. http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tiresensor
large.jpg
Fred H.

I have replaced the battery succesfully on my front preasure sensor.
I used 18 awg thermostat wire and made 2 stove coils with a dab of soilder.
In your photo the top battery clip I removed from the board and soildered in the lower coil.
Tucked the wire along where the clip would go.
The other I cut out the battery at the clip attaching the other coil.
That clip aids in allingment when putting it together.
Reassembly two wraps of tape  and it's worked all year.

don't heat the batteries or they go boom!

Richard_Beaudoin_ON said:
In your photo the top battery clip I removed from the board and soildered in the lower coil.

How do you solder in the replacement battery without heating it where you solder the connection?? 

HELP ! I have need to buy a new Tire pressure sensor for 2010 ZG1400 rear

I bought a used 2010 and it is missing ! HELP

jimmyfmb said:
HELP ! I have need to buy a new Tire pressure sensor for 2010 ZG1400 rear

I bought a used 2010 and it is missing ! HELP

What is missing? The sensor itself, the display? More info please.

I have encountered the same issue on a 2011 with 4000 miles. One of the things I found when this happens is to
Stop the bike if you are ridding, turn it off then turn it on, seems to work for now.
If it does become bothersome I will have it replaced under warranty.

It is under warranty so let the dealer fix it. You can turn it off by pressing in on the top button (the one that changes the display readout) and holding it in and then press the bottom button. The display will act normally. If the weather is cold when you start out the LOW BATTERY message will flash but go away after a few miles. Also when they install the new unit make sure they know to write down the serial number of the unit, that has to be programmed into the bikes brain so it will register. When mine went bad my dealer ordered one and he called me when it came in, about an hour job. The tire has to be removed to replace the unit so if you need a new tire this is a great time to do it since they won't charge you labor to replace the tire since it has to come off the rim anyway.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
I have taken apart a tire sensor, and confirmed that it is indeed possible to change the battery, but it will take some effort and care. You have three years on the warranty, so if it goes bad during that time, just get the dealer to replace it.    Once the warranty runs out, then you can try to replace the battery if you want. It is a standard coin type lithium battery with tabs welded on it. You can pull apart the sensor, unsolder the old battery, and solder in a new one.    I have photos of the sensor torn apart. If you want to see them, click on this link.    http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tiresensor   
large.jpg
  Fred H.

Fred: I have an '08 out of warranty and both sensor batteries are dead. Have the batteries changed/improved through the model years or do I replace the same batteries as are in there now? Thanks, amigo. Lew

Ken said:
Richard_Beaudoin_ON said:

How do you solder in the replacement battery without heating it where you solder the connection??

You pack the little battery on ice.

You should buy batteries that already have tabs spot welded on them, and then you solder onto the tabs, not the battery. You can also put some hemostats on the tabs to act as heat sinks, and putting the battery in the freezer or on ice before you start is also a good suggestion.