• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 versus BMW GT1600 article in Rider

Fred H.

There is a new article in this months rider about a shootout between the C14 and the new BMW. They clearly point out that both editors were faster on the C14 on the same road, and that it is the hands down better value, but say if money were no object, they'd take the BMW. The C14 did better than the BMW in several categories and it was a very close match. They complained about many of the same things on the BMW that I noticed on my test ride, bad drive line lash, and a disconnected feel induced by the ride-by-wire throttle.

They also noticed the BMW had more mid range torque. I bet if they rode a C14 with the flies removed it would have been a different outcome.

Quote -  I bet if they rode a C14 with the flies removed it would have been a different outcome

What does this mean ?

Trouble said:
Quote -  I bet if they rode a C14 with the flies removed it would have been a different outcome

What does this mean ?

They pointed out in the article that the BMW had more midrange torque where you need it, and this is one of the things that made them swing their vote in favor of the BMW.

If you remove the butterflies on the C14, you instantly gain a significant amount of midrange torque. So what it means is, that if they rode a bike without the butterflies, I think they might have changed their vote in favor of the C14.

But to make it a fair comparison, both bikes were stock (as it should be).

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Trouble said:

What does this mean ?

They pointed out in the article that the BMW had more midrange torque where you need it, and this is one of the things that made them swing their vote in favor of the BMW.

If you remove the butterflies on the C14, you instantly gain a significant amount of midrange torque. So what it means is, that if they rode a bike without the butterflies, I think they might have changed their vote in favor of the C14.

What are "butterflies " ?

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
There is a new article in this months rider about a shootout between the C14 and the new BMW. They clearly point out that both editors were faster on the C14 on the same road, and that it is the hands down better value, but say if money were no object, they'd take the BMW. The C14 did better than the BMW in several categories and it was a very close match. They complained about many of the same things on the BMW that I noticed on my test ride, bad drive line lash, and a disconnected feel induced by the ride-by-wire throttle.

I usually am not a big fan of Rider's road tests but I thought this was the most accurate review to date of the K1600GT's strengths and shortcomings.  I've ridden the K1600 three times and back to back with a C14 or an FJR, and I don't think its nearly as good of sport-touring bike.  Its too heavy, the suspension is too soft, the ride-by-wire is jerky in the first two gears, the front end lacks feedback, and the rider is too far from the front wheel to put weight forward during spirited cornering.  However, it owns the open road, as long as that road is pretty straight and smooth. 

I'm pretty surprised they pitted a GTL against a Connie.  LIke testing a GW against a connie?

It looks like they gave the title to the monster horsepower.

It was a good article. Although they did pick the BMW as the winner, they did a good job showing the high points of each bike.  Also, the BMW win was qualified by "if money were no object"

I was lucky to do a test ride when the BMW tour was at South Sound BMW in Fife WA last month.
It was a wet day and found the BMW was gradualy slipping a bit when cornering in the on the group ride and we were not riding fast. That may have been the extra weight of the GTL 1600 compared to my C10.
Hard to compare as only rode the C14 as well on a group test ride this summer.

I for one are tired of people comparing our Concours 14 against a BMW that cost close to $9K more. If I paid that kind of coin for a bike I expect nothing less than the best. However, saying that, the Concours 14 is the best bang for the buck.  We're 95% to the BMW for 45% less money.  It's like comparing a Corvette ZR1 to a Ferrari 456 Italia and complaining that the Vette isn't as refined or as nimble as the Ferrari. The Vette gets you most of the way there for less money. A lot less, and can hang with the Ferrari on most roads.
I totally agree with comparing our bike with other bikes in its class (FJR1300, ST1300, Spirit, Multistrada). Those bikes have a similar cost and similar mission.  The BMW GT and GTL 1600 are in a completely different class. Like our bike redefined the category into Super Sport-Touring, The Bimmer should be categorized a Luxury Sport - Touring bike.

Bourne2Ride said:
I for one are tired of people comparing our Concours 14 against a BMW that cost close to $9K more. If I paid that kind of coin for a bike I expect nothing less than the best. However, saying that, the Concours 14 is the best bang for the buck.  We're 95% to the BMW for 45% less money.  It's like comparing a Corvette ZR1 to a Ferrari 456 Italia and complaining that the Vette isn't as refined or as nimble as the Ferrari. The Vette gets you most of the way there for less money. A lot less, and can hang with the Ferrari on most roads.
I totally agree with comparing our bike with other bikes in its class (FJR1300, ST1300, Spirit, Multistrada). Those bikes have a similar cost and similar mission.  The BMW GT and GTL 1600 are in a completely different class. Like our bike redefined the category into Super Sport-Touring, The Bimmer should be categorized a Luxury Sport - Touring bike.

Well put.  Agreed!  Yes, they did quantify it on $.  Thanks, i'll keep the 9G and buy the better looking bike (personal opinion).  9G is a lot of hotels & gas. :)

I continue to believe that BMW's are niche bikes and vastly overrated.  Don't get me wrong they are great bikes, WHEN they are not burning up final drives, stalling, blowing up engines because of cam tensioner issues, clutch basket failures etc.  Yes I know people claim that is a small percentage of the total, but still, a bike costing as much as they do should have much better quality control.  For 25k they should be as bulletproof as the Japanese bikes.  The factory warranty sucks, parts are very expensive, and the dealer network pales compared to others.  I've had several friends break down in the middle of no where and the closest dealer was hundreds of miles away.  I'll take C-14 every time.

Bourne2Ride said:

While I don't disagree with most of what you said. I do want to point out that comparing the C14 to the FJR and ST300 is a somewhat fair comparison, since they are all sport tour bikes in  close engine displacement. But the C14 should win these shootouts. Keep in mind that both the FJR & ST are older designs (yes good designs, but still older). And the C14 was a brand new bike and already had a redesign since it's initial 2007 release. So I would be a little surprised if the C14 didn't win these shoot outs. But it makes us feel good when some stranger says our bike is better, right!  :))
As far as the multistrada and Sprint. Well the Multistrada is technically a adventure bike and the Sprint in a much smaller displacement bike at 1050cc's. Maybe the Sprint is a sport tour, but not really in the same class. So how can they really compare these? Come on, a 300-400cc difference! There is zero comparison as far as the bikes being the same class goes. And with the Multistrada. It may be a great sporting bike. But it's an adventure bike. Not a sport tour. It makes almost as much sense as comparing it to the BMW GS or V Strom? How can you?
So comparing it the new new BMW, while close in sport touring design. They are not really the same class either. The BMW is really slotted in between the C14 and the Goldwing. The price is also reflected in this.  They are also basically two different class bikes. The C14 being a sport tour. And the BMW being more of a tour sport, that's in a class of it's own right now.
So in reality, I get tired of all of these dumb comparisons. They can't constantly pit the new bike against the old bikes. And there is no other new sport tours other than the K1600. So what do they do, they compare it to what ever so people have something to read about the bikes. And whats worse is people listen to the magazine staffs "opinions" on these motorcycles like their word is god. When they're own finding may be totally different. IMO, All of these comparisons are a total joke!

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Trouble said:

What does this mean ?

I totally agree. If your not comparing stock bikes. What's the point. If not, they could start comparing bikes after adding turbos and such. Then they can say the one bike is better. But it may not be in stock form. You should always test them in stock form to keep some kind of integrity if your going to compare bikes how you would buy them.

Greg said:
I'm pretty surprised they pitted a GTL against a Connie.  LIke testing a GW against a connie?

Are we talking about the same comparison?  Rider's December 2011 issue compares a K1600GT against a C14.

Personally I think it's great press for them to be comparing a BMW that costs $10K more than the Concours, and it still just barely gets a better rating. It exemplifies the value and performance of the C14 when it can stack up against a $25K BMW. The Concours can be had for $13K and change if you shop around. Try finding ANY dealer that is discounting the BMW (hint: you won't). That makes the real price difference more like $12K. You could almost buy two C14's for what you'd pay for one BMW GT1400.

mcrider007 said:
Greg said:

Are we talking about the same comparison?  Rider's December 2011 issue compares a K1600GT against a C14.

Oops. My bad.  Sorry.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Personally I think it's great press for them to be comparing a BMW that costs $10K more than the Concours, and it still just barely gets a better rating. It exemplifies the value and performance of the C14 when it can stack up against a $25K BMW. The Concours can be had for $13K and change if you shop around. Try finding ANY dealer that is discounting the BMW (hint: you won't). That makes the real price difference more like $12K. You could almost buy two C14's for what you'd pay for one BMW GT1400.

Good point. Rather than two C14's, you could buy the C14 and a bike of another style (adventure, cruiser, sport, etc.) to break up the riding experience. People with two different types of bikes get to change it up and enjoy different types of riding experiences when the mood strikes them. It's a very nice thing!  :)

I look at many of these comparisons as a compliment to the bike, even if it finishes second.  In one thread here we're comparing the c14 to the Ninja 1000. Two spaces down its being compared to a BMW costing 9k more.  To find a bike thats suitable to be compared like that is a win in my book.

Haha, funny how the presenter mentions that the GTR vibrates more than the BMW at around 3:15 on the vid....

Doesnt BMW have a bagger version of the K1300S?  This seems like it would be closer to compare.  Being that the BMW is a 6 cylinder, I agree it is a better target for the Goldwing in the comparison.  Though it was nice that the Connie did very well against a bike that costs 9K more.  You could get a C14 and another bike to play on....

I rode a BMW at a Daytona demo about a year ago. Nice bikes, but a little to plane and George Jetson for me . The ride don't match the price tag if you ask me. Kinda like Harley. It's got hype mixed in. Plus finding a dealer that's close enough to service the bike says something to me. WHY ? If the bike was so wonderful, why are they not dealers all over the place ? Is this company scared of higher profit margins and growth ?
I took a long rode on my new connie yesterday. Rode it into the night. It's an amazing package. Im impressed at what kawasaki did. They took the front seat in sport touring. The ZX14 engine is bullet proof. The lines are smooth and the bike looks awesome. The bike handles unbelievably well and power out the ying yang . The breaking is amazing .I think BMW is a little upset cause kawasaki went to the front of the line. Besides, BMW's are ugly to me. But each to his own. Im totally happy with my kawasaki

I have been a subscriber to Rider magazine since the 80s and have always found their shootouts and comparisons to be first rate.  The current comparison of the C14 and the 1600 BMW is no exception.  You might argue reasonably that its comparing apples with oranges, but since the C14 was the top dog in the sport touring category, it was inevitable that it would be compared to the new Beemer.  But the Connie faired extremely well against a bike costing upwards of $8K more. I have personally known and ridden with several Beemer owners and they convinced me long ago that I would never own a Beemer, nice as they are.  The horror stories of maintenance and sky high parts and accesories as well as high insurance are enough to discourage many of us.  I personally think a better comparison with the Beemer would have been a Gold Wing, but I am glad they put the C14 up against it as it just points out what a bargain and fantastic bike the C14 is.  I know some of you are of the opinion that you can never have too much power, but for me the C14 has all the power you could ever want and then some. 

Fred-I am going to have to grab that issue.  I believe the last shoot out was in Cycle World, correct?  I agree that it is high praise for the press to continue to compare the Connie to the new BMW.  However, what else are they going to compare it with other than the Sport Touring bike that has been at the top of the heap for,  or very near it for the past several years.

What BMW has done is truly redefine this class.  Yes the K1600 is a Luxury Sport Touring bike without question, particularly in the GTL guise.  However the GT with it's less upright riding position, (higher seat, higher more rearward pegs, and shorter bars), is really more of a Sport Luxury Touring bike.  But don't be fooled by a short test ride on these bikes.  They are not even close to what they may feel like on test rides or by most reviewers take.  They really are very different motorcycles and it's no surprise that if one had the choice, money no issue, the BMW would be the choice. 

As you know-I own both a 2011 C14 and a 2012 BMW K1600GT.  I love them both.  In fact I just took close to a 600 mile ride on the Connie this weekend-two up.  It is an amazing motorcycle, but, it is not the bike the BMW is, price difference or not.  The BMW is simply an amazing motorcycle in it's own right and one that has to be lived with and ridden to fully appreciate.  The fuel map settings and on the fly suspension settings alone make it worth the price of admission.  If one hasn't spent a considerable amount of time riding the big Bimmer in "Dynamic" fuel management mode and dialed in sport or at minimum normal compression, (not to mention the option of setting on the fly pre-load to one up, one up with luggage or two up), then it hasn't been experienced. 

I'm not really sure which bike is faster, but would probably conclude that 0- 60 the C14 and GT are neck and neck.  Mid range power in the Dynamic mode and the C14 will NOT keep up and it certainly won't do it with the surreal smooth factor the Bimmer delivers.  The torque and pure thrust of the inline six in 3rd gear to near or at redline will give you an experience not to be found on any other motorcycle made today.  In fact both bikes are blistering fast and the issue of which one is faster to me is not relevant given how fast both bikes are.  The issue is the almost unbelievable steering and handling of the BMW.  It's steering and ultimate handling is so light and precise it is shocking.  There is NO motorcycle that steers and handles like that bike. 

It is an expensive motorcycle at $25K but in some ways a bargain compared to the Gold Wing and Harley Davidson Touring bikes.  I won't go on and on about the Bimmer because I realize this is a Concours 14 forum and one I'm proud to be a member of as well as an enthusiastic Connie owner, but I do have to say that anyone who thinks that hundreds of journalists and now more and more owners that have given this bike the level of praise and accolades are all drinking the BMW Kool-Aid or were in line for BMW kickbacks needs to ride one of these bikes.  I mean really ride it.  I don't think anyone would ever leave saying it is a bloated, overweight luxury touring LT replacement for long.  Yes it has a big dose of LT in it, however the K1300GT was disco'd by the GT much to the chagrin of those owners, and it fills those shoes nicely, once you understand this bike and what it is capable of.

I love both bikes but I have to be honest, riding them back to back isn't really fair.  The K1600GT does a real number on the Connnie or just about any other Sport Touring bike out right now from a pure feel perspective.  Seriously-the 1600 can be just about any kind of bike you want it to be with the spin of the mulitcontroller and the push of a settings button. 

Having said all that, and this coming from someone who had a depost down on the K1600GT, walked away from it after a 10 mile test ride only to come back a week later and buy it because it had an appeal that is very hard to define,  I can't wait to read the article since I have both in my garage

K1600ponder.jpg

K1600.jpg

:)

I dont know if all BMW shops are this way, btu my local BMW show is unreal.

You walk in and they greet you.  Friendly, without being nuts.  They also have demo's available. Maybe not the exact color you want to buy, but close.  If you ride in on a c14, they will let you take the 1600 for as long as you want. They'll even offer you a Sunday with it.

I rode the 1600, and liked it,  but neither bike was as surprising as the dealership. http://www.bmwmotorcyclesofutah.com/

Jagman, glad to hear you are liking the new bike. The article I was refering to just came out in this months Rider magazine (not Cycleworld).

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Jagman, glad to hear you are liking the new bike. The article I was refering to just came out in this months Rider magazine (not Cycleworld).

Right--Just picked it up and read it over lunch in fact:)  I have a couple of other thoughts and observations after reading the article and having the benefit of owning both bikes.  First, it's more testimony to the greatness of the C14 actually.  This isn't the new bike of the two.  It's simply one of the most capable and FUN SPORT touring bikes ever made.

The big deal for me would have been, yes what if they had rode the C14 with the reflash like we have (or flies out) and obviously that's how I compare the bikes, but for me more importantly, I'm surprised that they felt the handling over aggressive riding terrain felt more connected than the K1600GT with the C14 fitted with the Battleaxe tires!  I personally would have said that the heavier steering and unwillingness for the C14 (with those tires) to turn in quickly made it no contest in favor of the big Bimmer. 

However after switching the tires to Mich PR3's with a 55" rear tire two weekends ago and prior to my East Texas trip, the C14 gets SO much closer to the Bimmer it's hard to believe.  The proper fitting of tires on the Connie bring it close to the Bimmer, but still not to that level.  As I said earlier, the K1600 offers near unreal light steering and effortless handling on  just about any type of road I can test it on.  For me, pointing the K1600 with a subtle weight shift and counter steer into the most aggressive of curves, sets up a near effortless transition through it.  The Connie with the new tires is nearly night and day with the new tires but still rides more like a conventional execellent handling sport bike, whereas the BMW offers something I can't quite describe, except that it almost steers itself through the bend.  I'm surprised more wasn't made of that. 

Power delivery with the cables vs the TBW is pretty much right on, however for me it's just a matter of adjustment.  There is no question the "feel" is different, but it's just that "feel".  A couple of times when I have pulled on to a common road near my house and roll hard on the Connie I'll hit 60 pretty quickly and the feeling is that I have gotten there very quickly with a great deal of thrust.  I had thought the BMW felt softer and not as quick.  After paying closer attention, I'm often at 70 within the same distance yet due to the setup of the BMW the sensation is one of being swept along on some really nice soft insulation.  That may not be the experience some riders want, but I have to say it's a nice one.

The lack of any thing resembling vibration on the inline six is worth the price of admission but the Connie to me is still silken smooth with the typical 4cyl vibs creeping in at certain aggressive roll on's which isn't a negative, it a solid mesh feeling of the four cylinder doing it's thing.  You get all of that I know being a GL owner.

I'll have to pay closer attention to the comments about the bike wanting to wander a bit through tight turns etc.  That is not something I have experienced but I do agree that the Connie is one of the most sure footed and planted bikes I've ever ridden with the PR3's.  Not so much with the  Bridgestones.

All I know is that my initial thought was that I would likely see which bike really "did" it for me and sell the other.  When it came time to do a weekend trek I picked the Connie mostly because I wanted to try out the new tires.  What a ride and handler she is.
The conclusion I've come to is that I still don't buy that the K1600 is first a Luxury Tourer.  For me it's Sport all the way, (if everything is set that way)  that happens to be the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.  I also disagree with the writer of the column and wanted even think about buying the GTL due to the peg placement and the GW like bars position. 

I'm equally happy owning the C14 as what I consider to be a serious kick in the tail sports bike with bags.  I can see me riding that bike a lot without the bags and my Cal Sci blacked out Sporty Shorty WS because the experience is truly that unique. 

Do you have any comments on real life riding?
True fuel economy. I get just under 43 mpg on my 2010 C-14 abs all the time.
How is the wind protection? I find my 2010 to have more coverage than my 2008 had, even in the legs on rain trips. The heated grips are an awesome improvement over the 2008 and I'm sure the heated seat would be even more satisfying than no heated seat. Is the seat adjustable?
The electronics are way more superior on the Beemer than the Kawi. Stereo, GPS, Cruise Control, Suspension and Traction Controls, and the Dial on the left grip must all be worth a few thousand dollars to anyone that modifies their bikes after buying it. I see people putting $5,000 on the C-14 pretty fast. Mine is just about bone stock. I have a Cee Baileys shield, battery tender, and rear Sears trunk. The Cee Baileys Euro was a huge improvement over the 2008, but barely makes a difference on the 2010.
I love the thoughts of owning the $26,000 BMW GTL loaded, but would never be able to justify it after paying $13,200 on my new 2010 in Jan 2011. I believe the warranty is better on the C-14 than the BMW (unlimited mileage versus 36,000 miles). That makes a big difference if you ride 20,000+ miles per year like some of us. My 2008 had 44,000 miles on it after 18 months and my 2010 has 21,000 on it since January, 10 months.

Instead of spending that high price for the BMW 1600GT, for ALMOST the same money I can go out and buy a Concours AND and BMW S1000RR supersport bike. I could certainly go out and buy another really nice liter sport bike or adventure tourer.

wally_games said:
Instead of spending that high price for the BMW 1600GT, for ALMOST the same money I can go out and buy a Concours AND and BMW S1000RR supersport bike. I could certainly go out and buy another really nice liter sport bike or adventure tourer.

If its back to trying to put together various configurations of "what you could buy instead of" you've missed the point.  That analogy could be used so many ways. 

That was an excellent assessment of the K16.  I can relate as a 530 owner.  I don't even want to ride it right now because I will end up buying it.  I can see trading up to this bike in the next 5-6 years.  As you said, I don't get how they are saying the front end is heavy on the C14.  I have the Micheline Pilot Road II's and I am very pleased with the handling.  Enjoy having both to choose from (lucky Bstrd!).

GT said:
That was an excellent assessment of the K16.  I can relate as a 530 owner.  I don't even want to ride it right now because I will end up buying it.  I can see trading up to this bike in the next 5-6 years.  As you said, I don't get how they are saying the front end is heavy on the C14.  I have the Micheline Pilot Road II's and I am very pleased with the handling.  Enjoy having both to choose from (lucky Bstrd!).

Forgive me if you weren't meaning my assessment, but I'll assume you were.  I also own a BMW 535i car and so yes there are those inline six similarities.  Somewhat sadly, however I've had to choose my Sport Touring bikes and the BMW won.  I traded my 2011 C14 for a 2012 ZX 14 and pick it up tomorrow.  Now I truly do have something other than two Sport Tourers.

Jagman said:
GT said:

Forgive me if you weren't meaning my assessment, but I'll assume you were.  I also own a BMW 535i car and so yes there are those inline six similarities.  Somewhat sadly, however I've had to choose my Sport Touring bikes and the BMW won.  I traded my 2011 C14 for a 2012 ZX 14 and pick it up tomorrow.  Now I truly do have something other than two Sport Tourers.

Please post up with a ride report and pics of your new zed 14.

Jagman said:
GT said:

No, you still will have two sport touring bikes. The ZX14 is a sport tourer, it just has more emphasis on sport than the Connie.  :))

Kinetic1 said:
Jagman said:
GT said:

No, you still will have two sport touring bikes. The ZX14 is a sport tourer, it just has more emphasis on sport than the Connie.  :))

Sorry, I don't agree. The ZX14 is far from a sport tour. But like a lot of bikes, additions and changes can be made to make it fill the role. I really don't know what it is. It's too big, heavy and long to be a sprot bike. It's way too aggressive to be a standard motorcycle. And it lacks way to much to be a sport tour. Like the Busa, there just big heavy fast bikes. They are not really good at anything else like turning, touring or comfort. (unless you make changes).  But they do go like he!!.    :)

I wouldn't buy an ugly bike just to get 1600CC thaty is only marginally better.  I know the aesthetics is a moving target, but BMW hasn't made a good-looking bike for a looong time.  I'm more than happy with the C14.  Heck, upgraded frame, suspension, and fuel injection would just about put me back on a C10.  I do think that we're really getting into the area of overkill with these bikes. I don't REALLY need to go 165 mph on my bike.

jasonc32amg said:
Jagman said:
GT said:

Please post up with a ride report and pics of your new zed 14.

Will do.  Merry Christmas

Bruce_Reafsnider_TN said:
I wouldn't buy an ugly bike just to get 1600CC thaty is only marginally better.  I know the aesthetics is a moving target, but BMW hasn't made a good-looking bike for a looong time.  I'm more than happy with the C14.  Heck, upgraded frame, suspension, and fuel injection would just about put me back on a C10.  I do think that we're really getting into the area of overkill with these bikes. I don't REALLY need to go 165 mph on my bike.

Ok :-*

BTW-I wouldn't buy one either for just the 1600cc.  There is a lot more to that bike but who really cares other than the one buying it :beerchug:...I loved my C14 and will always reccomend it.

Cap'n Bob said:
Kinetic1 said:
Jagman said:
GT said:

Sorry, I don't agree. The ZX14 is far from a sport tour. But like a lot of bikes, additions and changes can be made to make it fill the role. I really don't know what it is. It's too big, heavy and long to be a sprot bike. It's way too aggressive to be a standard motorcycle. And it lacks way to much to be a sport tour. Like the Busa, there just big heavy fast bikes. They are not really good at anything else like turning, touring or comfort. (unless you make changes).  But they do go like he!!.    :)

Well I don't agree either technically, but as we know, anything you choose to tour on can be your touring bike.  No question the ZX 14 would not be classified as a touring bike, but one could if they chose to.  I won't because I have another option.  As far as having a need to put everything in a nice sorted out box, I just don't get that.  Does the ZX 14 handle like a ZX 10R?  Nope.  Not much else does.  Is it just a drag bike that lacks comfort, handling ability or comfort?  No.  It actually handles very well with precise light steering, with of course a bit of weight, (which BTW adds to what I consider to be a very comfortable bike.)  In fact one could make the arguement that compared to a pure Sport (track) bike that the ZX 14, BMW K1300S, or even the Hayabusa are perfect compliments between a rather staid Sport Touring bike and a pure Sport (track) bike.  Lot's of power,  very good handling, (versus excellent/track manners) within the proper expectation and just a little bit of punch for HP junkies ;D

I'm happy with my C14, but....if I had the money, I'd buy a GTL as well, and a 535i, and...christ, the list goes on and on.  Every forum has this conversation in one form or another, whether it's that guy whose grass lawn is better with XYZ's seed or more guys comparing the flight characteristics of the G3 vs. whatever else there is.  They probably have endless threads on tires and oil too.  Bottom line, gimme more money and I'd be snapping pics of my beemer like Jagman.  Strong work Jagman, ultimately we all want both bikes in the garage.