• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cager gets cited and rider gets JUSTICE!

kv5e

South Central Area Director - COG 5063
Staff member
Sport bike rider is recording video and riding when a cager refuses to yield at a merge and forces him out of his lane.

There's some hurled invectives from the rider  :mad: , who then manages to get a waiting policeman up the road to stop the vehicle.

After investigation of the video, the lady cager gets two citations. If you watch this at work,  might want to use headphones or turn the volume down!

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/06/30/watch-driver-cuts-off-motorcyclist-gets-ticketed/

Craig

This incident was not a question of the automobile driver being "aware." She was clearly aware of the presence of the motorcyclist. She simply didn't care! She felt entitled to the lane and, since her car was bigger than his bike, she was going to take it.

Admittedly many drivers have limited awareness of motorcycles and we need to make improvements there. Changing attitudes will be more challenging.

The bike was clearly in the right, but he was just a clearly aware of the cage drivers intentions and seems to me that he just decided to defend his position in the lane. Next time he may be dead right.  Its just not worth it to be in the right.

Ranger Jim said:
This incident was not a question of the automobile driver being "aware." She was clearly aware of the presence of the motorcyclist. She simply didn't care! She felt entitled to the lane and, since her car was bigger than his bike, she was going to take it.

Admittedly many drivers have limited awareness of motorcycles and we need to make improvements there. Changing attitudes will be more challenging.

This is the issue today.

We live in the most selfish time in history. If you ask someone at a stop light to stop texting they will flip you off or tell you to FO. Young, Old, Male, Female it does not matter.

Yeah, I see this video differently. It is town/city traffic, so the regular rule of "left lane is the fast lane" doesn't really apply. BUT, he was the slow one in the left lane; the car ahead and box truck are clearly pulling away from him. The Civic driver was more in the flow of traffic than he was while there were two full lanes. I didn't see any special merge signs on the road or on the side of the road, so there doesn't appear to be a warning to merge. He obviously saw (or should have seen) the driver approaching from the right, and he had a better view of the merging lanes; either speed up to stay in front AND physically move into a better position to establish lane presence, or slow down and let the car pass. That's what the rider should have done.

The Civic may not could tell that the lane was merging until it was too late, but by then, she had already committed to getting in front of the bike to keep herself from running off the road. AND, based on some of the interactions we've seen in the news over the last year, she may have realized she screwed up and was scared of how the rider was going to react, so she stuck her head in the sand hoping he would go away. So by the letter of the law (and the convenient presence of the camera and cop), I suppose she has to get a ticket. But IMO, rider safety/personal accountability law supersedes traffic law; if I see a cage doing wrong around me, I get away from it without further confrontation. So in my personal law book, this rider was in the wrong because he could have so easily made it right. His reaction after the incident made him even more wrong.

I'm not saying the rider baited her, but it sure was convenient circumstances. BTW, I thought it was odd everyone on both sides of the road pulled over like it was a funeral procession. It would have taken that cop a lot longer to get to the perpetrator down here where I live.

As someone that does their daily commuting on a cycle, I must say that this guy obviously just wanted to make a video and complain to the cops.  I see people driving in selfish ways every day and this just is not that big of a deal.  Any decent rider would have avoided this situation by not riding the exact same speed as the person next to them that they knew was merging into their lane. Also, as a Hunter S. Thompson fan- (Never Call 911-EVER)-, it was a pretty lame move to involve the police.
Kevin

I applaud the cyclist.  he was the one that had the right of way, NOT the car.  the car was in the lane that had to merge.  that's an automatic YIELD by law.  TOO many people on the roads these days drive with an entitlement mindset.  My pet peeve is people coming onto the highway.  they do not understand the concept of yielding and expect others to slow or move to avoid them.

While you're correct the auto driver should yield and, as I stated earlier, apparently had an entitlement attitude; I also agree that this should've been a non-event. If the motorcyclist had sped up or slowed down a couple miles/hour the whole episode would not have occurred. In this case, neither side chose to cooperate (admittedly one was legally wrong).

Win the Battle, Lose the WAR........

With some critical thinking skills applied, there was clearly some animus on both sides.

On two wheels a defensive posture is clearly the better choice instead of NIGYYSOB, (now i got you, you $Ø8).

While it is emotionally satisfying to see a cager get cited here, a defensive posture of slowing for the car is better than some HOT HEAD swerving into you because they did not want to lose the "GAME".

The rider "guessed right" this time. Probably not the best game to go " all in ".......  :truce:

He had no situational awareness!  If he was familiar with the roads (and even if he wasn't) and knew it was going to merge to one lane...why he didn't blip the throttle and overtake the box truck to begin with is beyond me.  Almost seems like it was staged for a training video. :rotflmao:

Better question though...since when do you get a LEO to respond that quickly to a 'citizen's arrest' request when they didn't witness it (and your arm/leg is not dangling by flesh).  Has anyone ever actually had this happen??

I think he bliped the throttle just enough to get get side by side with the car to prove something. A little more throttle or a little more brains and that situation doesn't even happen.

I don't disagree that it could have been avoided, and the motorcycle is more at risk.  that doesn't mean people should not be more courtious when they drive on the roads.  THAT is the part which is my pet peeve.

besides....if he had loud pipes, the car driver would have been more aware of his presence.  :)) :)) :))

MO is that she(and most others)doesn't recognize the left ,right,left(boy,girl,boy) idea of merging traffic,that the rider was trying to maintain.But why is it that mc's are to give up the right of  way,because we are smaller. Yes he did put himself in more danger standing his ground,but do we not have the right to not be bullied by cars.To often car drivers want to enforce their perceived road rights on us without repercussions. I had a individual for years trying to enforce his belief that traffic standing still/lane splitting wasn't legal nor to be tolerated in California.He would open his door trying to impede my movements forward.It finally was stopped,by law,but why must we be bullied.  Jerry Gaither

Shawn said:
He had no situational awareness!  If he was familiar with the roads (and even if he wasn't) and knew it was going to merge to one lane...why he didn't blip the throttle and overtake the box truck to begin with is beyond me.  Almost seems like it was staged for a training video. :rotflmao:

Better question though...since when do you get a LEO to respond that quickly to a 'citizen's arrest' request when they didn't witness it (and your arm/leg is not dangling by flesh).  Has anyone ever actually had this happen??

Maybe the LEO had sat there long enough. But the response certainly seemed too compliant. Agree that this was really a non-incident turned into a brouhaha. I was a little disturbed that the cage driver was seemingly laughing as she continued to try to occupy the lane despite the horn honking and swearing. Maybe if the motorcyclist would try the Major Deegan on any afternoon he might develop better merging skills  :))

Sport Rider said:
besides....if he had loud pipes, the car driver would have been more aware of his presence.  :)) :)) :))
You ain't kidding! If I was that close to a car with my wife's bike, I could probably shatter the driver's window with a twist of the wrist  :motonoises:

Sorry the idiot in the car decided she deserved the spot by sliding up on the right. Car is 100% wrong. You might have done something different than the bike but he had position and she tried to steal it. She has done it many times before and will continue to do it. Guy on the bike is an idiot also.

DaddyFlip said:
Yeah, I see this video differently. It is town/city traffic, so the regular rule of "left lane is the fast lane" doesn't really apply. BUT, he was the slow one in the left lane; the car ahead and box truck are clearly pulling away from him. The Civic driver was more in the flow of traffic than he was while there were two full lanes. I didn't see any special merge signs on the road or on the side of the road, so there doesn't appear to be a warning to merge. He obviously saw (or should have seen) the driver approaching from the right, and he had a better view of the merging lanes; either speed up to stay in front AND physically move into a better position to establish lane presence, or slow down and let the car pass. That's what the rider should have done.

The Civic may not could tell that the lane was merging until it was too late, but by then, she had already committed to getting in front of the bike to keep herself from running off the road. AND, based on some of the interactions we've seen in the news over the last year, she may have realized she screwed up and was scared of how the rider was going to react, so she stuck her head in the sand hoping he would go away. So by the letter of the law (and the convenient presence of the camera and cop), I suppose she has to get a ticket. But IMO, rider safety/personal accountability law supersedes traffic law; if I see a cage doing wrong around me, I get away from it without further confrontation. So in my personal law book, this rider was in the wrong because he could have so easily made it right. His reaction after the incident made him even more wrong.

I'm not saying the rider baited her, but it sure was convenient circumstances. BTW, I thought it was odd everyone on both sides of the road pulled over like it was a funeral procession. It would have taken that cop a lot longer to get to the perpetrator down here where I live.

You find it "odd" when people follow the law ?

Ok, so here we have a snapshot in moving traffic at the 5 second mark...
5sec.png

And here 13 seconds later when the car first appears in the shot.
I like to keep a little distance between me and the vehicle in front on me too, but it looks to me that he was going a lot slower than the rest of the traffic around him (including that truck, who was pulling away up until this point. See how far the cars are ahead of the truck, 13 seconds after the first picture). Also notice the lady in the car is ahead of him at this moment.

Now he decides that he owns the lane and all the rights that come with it.
18sec.png

Yep, in general people treat us motorcyclist like crap. But I don't think this is one of those instances we can hold up and shout about. Looks to me like this guy just puttin along, listen to some tunes (you can hear them on the video) and finally woke up when someone tried to pass him. Since it was an older woman, Mr. biker thought it was safe to grow a pair.

Every day coming out of work I see entitled people passing on the right, 2 lines of 50 cars waiting for the light to take a left out of the business park. These people just dive right in. Most wait until they are in the intersection to cut someone off. EVERY DAY!!! If I wanted to, I could exersize my "rights" to my lane and get into an accident probably 3 times a week. So I'm a self proclaimed knowledgeable person when it comes to passing on the right and making unsafe illegal merges.

To me, this video is not cut and dry, right and wrong. There are 2 sides to this story. And just because the police issued a citation, doesn't mean he was right and she was wrong. We should not celebrate this video as a victory of our rights. Do you really think this woman has learned a valuable lesson? Does she love and respect motorcyclist now? Or maybe the next encounter with a motorcycle, when she has the "right of way", does that motorcyclist pay a heavy price for this guys "victory?  :(

Camper,
Doesn't it look like he knows the road and is letting the box truck in? Then she figured she would take advantage of him giving room.

Maybe he (from CT according to the news story) does know the roads and she (from MA but this town is very close to the CT/MA boarded) doesn't.
Don't you think backing off 75 feet (just estimating by the lines on the road) is a little excessive? So for safety sake he backs off 75 feet to allow the truck to safely merge but won't allow this woman in because why?? It 's not safe to let her in?

I don't argue that she took advantage of the situation but he brought the situation to the level it became.

Camper Dave for the WIN!  :motonoises:

@cra-z1000… 'odd' maybe was the wrong word. I was 'amazed' (and amused) that so many people on both sides of the road pulled over so quickly to let the cop pass. I know that's what you're supposed to do, but I was already incredulous after viewing the first two minutes of the video.

chamberlincalls said:
The bike was clearly in the right, but he was just a clearly aware of the cage drivers intentions and seems to me that he just decided to defend his position in the lane. Next time he may be dead right.  Its just not worth it to be in the right.

You said it,  brother. This guy just felt compelled to teach the cager how to alternate in a lane merge. What a whiner. Wouldn't be surprised if he was the type to say F the police when being irresponsible.

Not excusing the cager's behavior, but compared to what I see in greater Los Angeles, this was tame by comparison. My take? Don't allow yourself to be put in a situation where you're at the mercy of another's poor etiquette or bad driving. ..

Not sure we can make solid conclusions but... I see this frequently. The line is ending, so the car in that lane decides to speed up and get ahead of one more vehicle before they merge. Why do they do it ? 'cause they're special!!
I get tired of this, and admit I've blocked mergers at times.
Jorge

Just watched the video about merging lanes.  Happy she received a ticket because of the laugh.  I usually speed up if there is room or drop back if I need to.  He could have been dead right with some of the drivers we have in California.  However, having said that, some times you gust gotta do what you gotta do.  There is a young women in Florida that go the brunt of my frustration.  After riding from California to Florida she blew a stop sign right in front of me.  There was no traffic coming from the other direction and I stayed in my lane. When she got into my lane (two lane road) my front wheel was just behind her front door.  I hit my big boy air horn, she yanked the wheel to the right.  I did not look in the rear view mirror.  She may still be in the swamp on the way to Key West.

Dumb on my part but after over 60 years of riding I did it once.  Hope I got it out of my system.

Camper Dave said:
Ok, so here we have a snapshot in moving traffic at the 5 second mark...
5sec.png

And here 13 seconds later when the car first appears in the shot.
I like to keep a little distance between me and the vehicle in front on me too, but it looks to me that he was going a lot slower than the rest of the traffic around him (including that truck, who was pulling away up until this point. See how far the cars are ahead of the truck, 13 seconds after the first picture). Also notice the lady in the car is ahead of him at this moment.

Now he decides that he owns the lane and all the rights that come with it.
18sec.png

Yep, in general people treat us motorcyclist like crap. But I don't think this is one of those instances we can hold up and shout about. Looks to me like this guy just puttin along, listen to some tunes (you can hear them on the video) and finally woke up when someone tried to pass him. Since it was an older woman, Mr. biker thought it was safe to grow a pair.

Every day coming out of work I see entitled people passing on the right, 2 lines of 50 cars waiting for the light to take a left out of the business park. These people just dive right in. Most wait until they are in the intersection to cut someone off. EVERY DAY!!! If I wanted to, I could exersize my "rights" to my lane and get into an accident probably 3 times a week. So I'm a self proclaimed knowledgeable person when it comes to passing on the right and making unsafe illegal merges.

To me, this video is not cut and dry, right and wrong. There are 2 sides to this story. And just because the police issued a citation, doesn't mean he was right and she was wrong. We should not celebrate this video as a victory of our rights. Do you really think this woman has learned a valuable lesson? Does she love and respect motorcyclist now? Or maybe the next encounter with a motorcycle, when she has the "right of way", does that motorcyclist pay a heavy price for this guys "victory?  :(

Thanks for the proof positive CD!

I'm not gonna say it again.....OH yes I am....OVERTAKE THE FREAKIN' BOX TRUCK.

IMO: the woman became completely wrong when she saw that the bike was going to maintain its position and she essentially pushed him out of the lane. Now if this were Cali, we might call that lane sharing, but not here.

Unfortunately, I think the rider was wrong long before and had much more than $300 to lose. I don't understand the way he was oscillating his speed, opening and then closing the gaps. Then there is the way he was crawling down the road in the fast lane, pacing a panel truck he chose not to pass. And who the hell chooses to fight for the right to be first vehicle right behind a truck? If I'd been him, I would have waved the woman on just to get some separation. He obviously wasn't interesting in passing or he would have done it already -- so why not sit back and get some visibility?