• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Calipers

biggsafb19576566

Gang, had to replace the front brake rotors on my 2006 Connie. My question is, how in the world do you get the larger of the two brake pads out of the caliper? Pulling your hair is not an option! The smaller of the two simply fall.out but despite my four letter assistants, no luck on the larger one!

The calipers expand outward if you put pressure on the two pins. Once the caliper is fully expanded the pad can be removed and replaced easier.

You have to hold your tongue just right. All kidding aside, pistons fully compressed, small pad out. tip the ears off the pins. You will try and try and then it will just fall off. You will look at it and turn it around and around and think how did it happen. Next you have to put the new one back on. I don't do brakes often enough but remember that every time it is like the first time to get that pad off and back on.

Murph you been drinking that stiff stuff again?
Nah...I work with people who work on their own bikes all the time...first thing you need to do is make sure you are talking about the same parts...not to mention there are some modified Connies out there as well " this brake pad don't fit".. So, I'm guessing the issue here is a stuck piston?...Theres no mention of rebuilding the caliper.

I don't think he has gotten to the piston yet. Still trying to get the pads off.

If he is taking about the pistons, hook it back up to the hydraulic system and use that to push the piston out. When the first one starts to leak put a c-clamp/ tywrap on it and push it back in so it stops leaking and push the next one out. Repeat until both sides are loose.