• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Can you remove the front fender without taking the front wheel off?

dirtwiz

I'm going to install my new Murphs' Fender Extender but it doesn't look like the brake line clips come off the fender without a good chance of breaking them. My C14 is a 2011 and I don't want to take the front wheel off since I don't have my jack anymore. Help!!

If I remember correctly, you are going to need to remove the clips. I remember trying to get those clips out and it was a real pain. 

Thats kinda what I thought....I was afraid if I tweeked them too much they may break then how would I get new ones over the brake lines without having to remove the lines then bleed them. Anybody have a best idea for this?

i did the fender extender this weekend, the clips just pull and twist out.  went back in without a problem. 

I did the glue and screw method,  abs glue clamped in place and drilled and used the 4 screws murph sends,  I suspect if all the other bodywork gets trashed the extenda will still be attached.

If yours do not open up, they are different than mine, I have a 2012 and I think the clip changed between 2011 & 2012.  My clips will open up, but that doesn't help trying to get the fender off with the wheel on.  The clips are relatively cheap through Partzilla or Ron Ayers.  You could always order some replacements and snip the current clips off? 

Thanks Max...I would like to try it without the screws but I'm sure it would work better with screws in it. Swojo95 it looks like the clips overlap at the point where they enter the fender but I can't tell how they unhook....probly gonna pry on them with a screw driver to find out then yank them out if I have to. I would really like to get it done without replacing the clips but it never seems to go that easy for me. I better call my dealer and see if they have any in stock before I destroy these so I can get them on order if needed. Thanks for your help on this.

SWOJO95 said:
If I remember correctly, you are going to need to remove the clips. I remember trying to get those clips out and it was a real pain.

Yes, the clips can be tricky.  You may think you want to squeeze them but you really need to push one of the tabs up and the other one down.  When they are in the right position you can pull it out easily.

I just called my Kawasaki dealer and he is ordering me two clips just in case. $2.13 each so at that price I can't afford not to break them.  :)

jwh20 said:
SWOJO95 said:

Yes, the clips can be tricky.  You may think you want to squeeze them but you really need to push one of the tabs up and the other one down.  When they are in the right position you can pull it out easily.

My clips are not the same design, the part that sticks through the hole is not split like the earlier versions.  Mine have a chamfered "ridge" that collapses as it pushes through the hole and then expands back to normal when seated.  Those little suckers are in there.

Hi,
        I pulled my fender today (to put on my Ohlin's forks) >:D

My clips open up from the outside to get rid of the cables, then had to finess the fender out the front! :great:

Yes a little tricky but can be done! Good luck! ;D

Attachments

• 11215714_406862579511035_4431142472950562864_n.jpg
    11215714_406862579511035_4431142472950562864_n.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 147
SWOJO95 said:
jwh20 said:
SWOJO95 said:

My clips are not the same design, the part that sticks through the hole is not split like the earlier versions.  Mine have a chamfered "ridge" that collapses as it pushes through the hole and then expands back to normal when seated.  Those little suckers are in there.

What year is your bike?  It appears they changed the design somewhere along the way.  The good news is they are relatively inexpensive.

My bike is a 2011 so I would think they would be the same from 2010 on up but I'm not sure. It does seem like there would be an easier kind of clip design but hopefully this will be the last time I deal with it. Thanks.

They changed from 2011 to 2012, at least the clips on my brothers 2011 were different from my 2012. I installed the Projekt D fender extender on both Bikes.

Just removed my fender on my 2013 C14. The right brake line clip was firm but came out fine. Put on the fender extender, and hours later remounted the fender, no problems.

Now I'm playing with making my own rear extender. :)

Phil

those clips can come off easily. Get out a 4 or 5mm socket ...i forget but a small one. Then push the socket onto the backside of the clips inside the fender. The socket compresses the clip and it just pops out of the fender.

ZG said:
Just cut em off and don't replace em, not needed IMO...  ???

I always worry about them rubbing and wearing paint when they are not secured with the clips. For a couple of bucks, I would just cut them off and install new clips. I was never any good at removing them. So I would just cut them.  :))

Yep....I cut them off and got new ones. I'm pretty sure it would have been ok but why be just pretty sure for $4.

Sailor_chic said:
ZG said:
Just cut em off and don't replace em, not needed IMO...  ???

Say it's not so, I can't believe that you would take a shortcut such as that.

:lol_hitting:

I don't even run the oem front fenders anymore, personally I think they're massive and ugly... I've been running Delkevic front fenders, much smaller and look a ton better IMO!  :great: :great:

And the Delk front fenders don't even have holes for those line hoops, I just put a small piece of sticky back foam where the line might hit and good to go!  ;D :beerchug:

I have a 2012 Concours and I just figured out how to get the front fender off without removing the cable ties! I read this forum and several others trying to figure this out. I was about to give up and throw away my Murphs fender extender when it occurred to me that the cable ties snapped back to their original “O” shape after pulling the cables out. I reopened the cable ties and layed them out flat and was then able to gently slide the front fender out between the forks. Easy beans.