• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

carb cleaning

Bill_Fahey_KY

Big Wheel
hello new member here , i have owned my 97 concours since new never had a problem with it till now . got a carb flooding and need to clean them. problem came apparently from a rusting out gas tank. replaced with new tank and petcock still getting random flooding and so so idle . i have been trying to find a article on carb cleaning here thanks

If you have something that continues to dirty your carbs, I would remedy that first. At the same time, you could what I did. You could find the thread where I mention using two products that made my bike run like new within one full tank of gas. The first is Lucas Oil, bought in any WalMart. The next could also be bought in Walmart and most automotive type stores. You will find lots of people who swear by Seafoam. I have both running in my tank and my bike runs like new. I liked what it did to my bike, so I put it into my F150, and that also runs much better, more like a new engine. Since you replaced your tank, I'm going to guess and say it has no rust. To keep it that way, always keep your tank near full before putting it away for any length of time. The Seafoam is also a gas drier, so it will absorb mositure from your tank, as well as keep your fuel path clean. Good luck. Joe

forget about the Snake oil, you need to disassemble and clean them, and likely do a re-build with new float valve needles. The Comprehensive Bible on the job can be found in our library here, Fall 2006 Concourier.... written by yours truely...follow it to the letter, do not skip steps, and make sure you get it right before you re-place them back on the bike....and ditch the gas you have now, suck all the crud out the bottom corners of the tank by using a turkey baster with a hose on it, and start off with FRESH fuel in the newly cleaned carbs..... best of luck

Look in the Concourier Archives if you don't see them its because your not a full paid member. Take note of the popup for the password which you will need to open the PDF.

Just cleaned my carbs today. Print out Rich's article and have it on hand when you do the job. In my case, I found what appeared to be a piece of rubber, maybe a piece of tubing that broke off and worked it's way into the bowel. Big frikken piece, enough to choke a horse. No wonder the carb was flooding. It feels good to be riding again...

One of the issues reported by Bob Seeley is that the inside of the rubber fuel hose perishes over time and flakes on the INSIDE, this then cause an issue with the needle valve seats. If in doubt replace the fuel line. Murph sells not flaking clear hose.

It would be good to change the hose before there is a problem. So I have these questions. Do we know how long this process takes? Is there a better replacement hose that won't degrade in the same way? I think most people, including myself, do a visual inspection, combined with a little bending with the hand to check the quality of the rubber. If the visual checking is not good enough, maybe we can narrow it down to 1, or 2 or more years. Also, has anyone considered that the problem might have been caused by additives that might have been added to the tank, and not the gas itself?