• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

carburator loading up

robertrogers

Big Wheel
I recently acquired an 2001 C-10. I love the bike and it runs great once I get underway. At slow speeds the bike sounds like the carb is loading up. Sounds the same way at highway speeds when I back off the throtle. Any ideas.

Had the bike sat awhile before you bought it. It sounds to me like to me like you have some blockages in the low speed/idle circuits in the carbs. Most likely if you pull the carbs and give them a good going thru, you'll correct the problem. That would be my first thought, but maybe someone else has another idea for you before you to to the trouble of removing the carbs. Good Luck! Doug

It could be a conbination of what Doug wrote and a weak or restricted vaccum. Drain your carbs and check for sediment, then drain and clean the tank and check the petcock, if there is any trash when draining the carbs. Rust can cause problems with the petcock and eventually the carbs. I make that a service item every two years, at least.

ditto! and don't forget the pilot screws under those sealed caps. screw in until lightly seated and back out two turns is what i've read here. that's controlling your idle air/fuel mixture.