• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Casey Stoner Retiring at end of season

Ranger Jim

Sport Tourer
Stoner has announced that he will NOT compete for the MotoGP championship in 2013. Seems a shame that (arguably) the best rider will no longer be on the grid.  Wonder if his wife had any impact on this decision after Marco's death?

IIRC, he also recently had a child. A lot of factors may have played into his decision. Plus he gets to go out on the top of his game (maybe another championship).

Seems odd to see a 26 yr old retiring from anything at the top of his game- much less a high celebrity, highly paid position in racing- when many riders race well into their forties.  But, he certainly had little left to prove so congrats and well done to the Aussie!  :beerchug:

From what I can make out, it seems that Stoner disagrees with numerous policies of the FIM including the CRT teams and electronics.  Add to that the guy's, ummm, different personality (see Schwantz interview below), a new baby, a wife, and living out of a suitcase since he was in diapers.  http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/May/12052434st.htm

I read an interesting article by Kevin Cameron (I think) a few years back where he talked about riding at the top.  He was talking about Freddie Spencer but his comments are probably true of many.  Cameron believed that superstars are born with a finite amount of drive, energy, focus and raw talent. 

They are obsessive about many things and, essentially, use up their energies in great gulps, thus running out sooner than a normal person.  Spencer went over to Europe after a great AMA career and blew everybody away, including KR, in the 250 and F1 classes.  He hung in for a while and then just imploded.  Or ran out of juice as Cameron feels.

Is Stoner in the same boat as Spencer?  Lots of talent left but does he have the grunt and tremendous desire to run all the facets of his life, including showing up at dealer shows and faking smiles constantly?

You have to love Kevin. A good old blunt country boy.

Stoner shouldn't need the money if he has invested well and not blown every penny on crap he doesn't need. If the fire is gone then it's gone. Why continue?
I will say I will miss watching him ride. Those Aussies are always fun to watch.

all I know is he sure as heck doesn't LOOK unenthusiastic when he wins, and he doesn't look like he doesn't care if he crashes out....

But he does seem to tick differently than the other clocks.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  I wish MotoGP was as interesting as Moto2 and Moto3.

Repsol Honda HRC has already signed Stoner's replacement. You'll see an all Spanish
Repsol team next year with Pedrosa & Marquez (sp?). Good thing they got rid of that
nasty rookie rule to make room for Marc M.

I have watched Moto GP since the early 80’s. I have to say I have been seeing a decline in the excitement of the class overall. To many restrictions and now with the CRT bikes in there it has gotten silly. I hate to see Stoner leave the sport because I love to see him ride. But there has to be something going on in Moto GP to make him and others wanting to leave altogether. I do not think it is with the Honda team more that it is with FIM. But you know, if I were him and I had the money he has and wife and little baby waiting for me at home. I don’t think I would stay ether.  Just my 2 cents

if his heart is not in it he should call it a day, i wish him well and he will be missed on the grid, glad i get to see him race at indy one more time in a couple weeks    :beerchug: