• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Catalytic Converter Removal

New to C14 fraternity.
Anyone have any experience with removing the catalytic converters from the exhaust.
Have done this on a car.
Cut an opening in the body of the converters, removed the guts and replaced and welded the covers.
Huge (huge!) improvement.
Just wondering??

Yes. In the past some folks have removed the catalyst from the header pipe. I do not recall if they mentioned noticeable power gains or not. But I do remember that that they stated that the bikes ran noticeably cooler (heat off the exhaust/engine).

I have seen pictures of headers that were cut open and cat removed. Hard messy job. You might remove the same back pressure just changing to a slip on. I bought a header from a ZX-14, on ebay for $75 and it has no cat. But that is true only for 2006 and 2007 models. Plus, you have to cap off the connection for the second muffler, and stretch out the header to fit the muffler connection, it's about 1/8 inch different.  I paid dearly for those to be done poorly at muffler shops, unlike the posters that claim they paid a hand full of quarters to a smiling master mechanic!
The best way to open up the exhaust is to go with a new complete system. Like an AreaP.
http://www.areapnolimits.com/products/Slip-On-Exhaust-Kawasaki-Concours-14-2008.php
Other details, include adjusting for lean/rich mixture by doing a custom dyno map on your Power Commander. Or reprogramming your ECU. And doing a dual exhaust, might require rigging to allow for the center stand that ZX-14's don't have.
With the open header and slip on, I had 153 horses on the dyno when they custom mapped it. Your mileage may vary, there are lots of ways to set up a dyno and have it read to your advantage.
More info about headers:
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=27368.0

Justamemba said:
Plus, you have to cap off the connection for the second muffler, and stretch out the header to fit the muffler connection, it's about 1/8 inch different. 

Or just go to the full ZX14 dual exhaust. Just another option.

I was doing some research about ZX-14 exhausts and came across thread where the owner had done a lot of cutting, grinding, and welding to remove the cats.  If you have to time and equipment I guess it would be worth it, but with ZX-14 headers around for $100 or less I would go that route.  Or just go with a full aftermarket exhaust, my Muzzy sounds so nice.  ;D

Guys - Thanks for the replys. The way I did this on my car was to use a zip disc and cut a window in the bottom of the catalytic converter housing. You then use an air chisle and break out the contents of the converter. When your'e done just place the cut out portion back in place and s/s weld it up. I know its some work but the full systems are pricey!!! (and I'm cheap).....
RBH 

Cap'n Bob said:
Justamemba said:
Plus, you have to cap off the connection for the second muffler, and stretch out the header to fit the muffler connection, it's about 1/8 inch different. 

A pre-2008 ZX14 exhaust, since from 2008 on there is a cat in the collector, and you need the collector to connect back pipes to the mufflers.

Some guys on zx14ninjaforum cut the cat out too. Seemed like a lot of work, but it might beat spending a minimum of $1,500 for a Muzzy dual and as much as $2,200 for a Brock's Performance dual that you'd have to modify the centerstand stop arrangement for.

Privateer said:
Cap'n Bob said:
Justamemba said:

A pre-2008 ZX14 exhaust, since from 2008 on there is a cat in the collector, and you need the collector to connect back pipes to the mufflers.

Some guys on zx14ninjaforum cut the cat out too. Seemed like a lot of work, but it might beat spending a minimum of $1,500 for a Muzzy dual and as much as $2,200 for a Brock's Performance dual that you'd have to modify the centerstand stop arrangement for.

Going with a full, ZX-14 Muzzy single side will only cost around $800.  No centerstand mod needed.  I am very happy with mine and it needed very little tweaking to fit my C14.

Privateer said:
Cap'n Bob said:
Justamemba said:

It's just money, you can make more ya know...  ;)