• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Caught a screw at mi 800 on new bike.... Tire fixed. Ok to ride?

kilofox

Training Wheels
Got a screw on a trip from MI to Indy. (rear tire, screw was dead bottom center) Plugged the tire for the night. Next morning I took it to the shop and had them repair it from the inside (booted and vulcanized).

Would you ride for a few thousand miles on this tire?

For a screw or nail hole. If they patched it (or even if I just used good plugs).  I would give it a shot. Although I would probably ride less aggressive than normal. But when I got home, I would probably replace the tire. Maybe not necessary, but makes me feel better knowing the tire has the best integrity possible. just my opinion.

KFT,
You mentioned "new" bike, is it the oem Bridgeston tire? If so, I'd just do yourself a favor and replace it (them/both) now with some PR3's...  :)

+2 ride like you stole it. Plugged and patched numerous tires never had an issue. Although I do prefer a inside patch job for sure!

Plugged an Angel rear when it had about 200 miles on it. Not gonna waste it - rode it all last year and not a PSI lost.

On a car with 4 yep. On a bike with 2? For 200 buck's wouldn't want that in the back of my head entering that 70mph sweeper. Just sayin'............ :)

This is a decision only you can make.

With that said, I've ridden many plugged and patched tires till they wore out, but you do have to be more vigilant with your tire pressure checks, because sometimes they will slow leak. The TPS system on this bike helps a lot in that regard, so you should see right away if it starts to leak. In all my years of plugging tires, the only plug I've had totally fail and come out was a StopNGo plug. I've never seen any other patch or plug totally let go. Usually the worst they do is start to loose a couple pounds of air a day.

I'd also advise not ridding at higher speeds on a plugged or patched tire, because the tire carcass starts to grow at high speeds and this could cause a repair to fail.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Decided to use this situation as a reason to get a set of PR3's! They are on their way!!!

kilofoxtrot said:
Thanks for all the advice guys. Decided to use this situation as a reason to get a set of PR3's! They are on their way!!!

:08:

Nice choice KFT!  :)

NO , NOT, NADA, buy a new set of PR 3s Tell wife your life is in danger and you have no insurance so you must not take any chances!  Worked for me one time! What did you do?

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
I'd also advise not ridding at higher speeds on a plugged or patched tire, because the tire carcass starts to grow at high speeds and this could cause a repair to fail.

What do you consider high speeds?

gsun said:
Fred_Harmon_TX said:

What do you consider high speeds?

Anything over about 80mph becomes questionable on a patched or plugged tire, especially if it is for an extended time. The faster you ride, and the more weight on the tire, the more heat that builds up in it, and the tire will also start to grow some above about 85mph or so.

My personal experience, I've ridden every plugged tire I've ever had until the tread was gone normally.  Never had an issue.  YMMV

It's a personal choice,

I've known people who rode thousands of miles on patched/plugged tires with no issue,  and for them they were fine,  For me however I would not ride a patched tire any further then I had to in order to get it home and replace the rubber.  The tire may be perfectly fine, but for me it's piece of mind.  I feel that my life is worth more then trying to save 150 bucks.

It's all about what your own personal tolerance for risk is.

Glad you decided to get the new Pr3's :)