• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cee Bailey Ultratour windshield

jdcjdcjd

Bicycle
Just installed the Cee Bailey Ultratour windshield this weekend on the C14,  and it is so much better for me than the stock shield. (also installed the Murphs bar risers-see other post)  In the full up position, I am looking through the shield (I am 5'8" tall)  In the full down position I am looking over the top of the shield.  I would say that's perfect and I would think that should be the stock height, but that's just my preference.  With the windshield in full up, there is no turbulence behind the shield and cruising down the interstate at 75-80mph is relativley quiet behind the shield (perfect for touring)    And really easy to install!  One note however: the instructions on the windshield state that you should torque the screws to 5-8 inch-lbs torque.  Well, good luck finding a torque wrench that measures values that low!  What I did was coat the screws with low strength loc tite and just tighen the screws to snug. 

it's easy to find such a torque wrench.  You use an inch-pound torque wrench and tighten to between 50 (5x12) and 96 (8x12) inch pounds.

Necron99 said:
it's easy to find such a torque wrench.  You use an inch-pound torque wrench and tighten to between 50 (5x12) and 96 (8x12) inch pounds.

Me thinks you should re read his message.  You don't need to do any math here.  Either that or its 6 AM and I can't read yet.

The "sweet" spot for this windshield is about 3" up from the full down position.
I'm six feet, but I've had the Kawasaki shop owner ride my bike, and he's about five foot seven, and it was perfect for him also in this position.
Bobby.

Locksmith said:
Necron99 said:

Me thinks you should re read his message.  You don't need to do any math here.  Either that or its 6 AM and I can't read yet.

I think when I answered, his post said "foot pounds"... I have a hard time believing the instructions say 5 to 8 inch pounds.  That's 1/2 of a foot pound.  Finger tight is a couple foot pounds and I wouldn't think that finger tight would be enough.

Necron99 said:
Locksmith said:
Necron99 said:

I think when I answered, his post said "foot pounds"... I have a hard time believing the instructions say 5 to 8 inch pounds.  That's 1/2 of a foot pound.  Finger tight is a couple foot pounds and I wouldn't think that finger tight would be enough.

I know what you are saying.  At first I thought he might be talking about the C10.  Those nylon bolts won't take a great deal of torque.

LOL  Yeah, I'm pretty sure frozen butter would take 5 inch pounds of torque without damaging the threads.  I looked in the manual, and there is no torque rating, it just says "tighten"

to all:  on the new Ultratour windshield I got there was a red sticker on the windshield itself that said "STOP, .... " and it definetly said  5-8 inch pounds for the small screws and 15-18 inch-lbs for the larger screws. (I double checked)  Maybe it was a misprint, but that is what the sticker said.

I'm considering this one myself. Projekt D has a nice one on their site that is very reasonably priced ($129) but shipping is $88 dollars. That seems like a lot for shipping. I just shipped my seat out to Florida for $31, and I thought that was a lot.

I worked with Cee Baileys and did testing for them when they were first developing a windshield for the C14 and have used both the Euro and Ultra Tour models. It was the first thing I changed out on the 2010. Both the Euro and Ultra are very well designed windshields and work great on the bike. My personal preference is the Euro, because the straighter top edge lets me still look over it when raised up a little better, though the Ultra does give better wind protection.

Just bought a used CB ultra tour that was on a 2011 C14.

As it was used I did not get any paper work. I have a 2008 C14 and just installed it but could not find any windshield torque values in the OEM Service Manual.

Can / would someone please verify the torque values for the install on the 2008 - 2009 and the 2011 - 2011 are the same?

BTW: I am 6'3" and while I only did a short ride today with it full up I can still see over it and now can hear  :) at freeway speeds. Still need to do more than 10 minutes but that is all for today.

=======

to all:  on the new Ultratour windshield I got there was a red sticker on the windshield itself that said "STOP, .... " and it definetly said  5-8 inch pounds for the small screws and 15-18 inch-lbs for the larger screws. (I double checked)  Maybe it was a misprint, but that is what the sticker said.

FYI. I just used the values listed in the post and they seemed to work fine. I was surprised that the CB web side does not list installation torque given the posters state a new CB shield has torque values listed.