• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cee Baily Ultra Tour Shaking?

timanderson

I just installed the Ultra Tour on my 2010 C14 after reading lots of good data here on this Forum (I'm 6'4").  Beautiful windshield... but a little heavier than the stock one since its 4" higher and a bit thicker I think.  And it seems to shake/wobble (fore and aft) a lot more than the stock one.  Does this on bumpy roads and even on smooth highway if I'm being buffeted by traffic ahead.  My only concern is over stressing or fatiguing the C14 windshield brackets with the extra wobbling.  For those of you with Ultra Tours, have you noticed this and has it been a problem long term?  Also, is there any concern with high speed running with the larger areas windshield? 
Thanks in advance!
Tim

I never really thought about it until I read your post, but mine does shake a little.  I don't raise it very high and speed doesn't seem to make a difference.  It was the first thing I added to my C-14 so I can't remember if there is more movement than the stock shield.  If something eventually breaks, guess I will go back to the stock windshield or just replace parts. 

I am sure there are some who have ridden many miles with them and can give a longer test testimony.

I just installed an Ultra Tour a couple of weeks ago and haven't noticed any shaking up to 80 mph, the fastest I've gone to date with it under the watchful eye of the OSP.  I've had it up 3/4 of the way for all of my riding.  I think all three screws on each side, especially the two large ones under the top cover, need be screwed down pretty tight

I have had mine on since January, i also have the Ultra Tour.  It bounces around quite a bit but so far no issues.  As for the high speeds, there is a topic on the other forum where some body put his full up at like 150 or something and it broke the internals of the windshield mechanism.  Kind of stupid, really  :banghead:  I have had mine in the "normal" for me operating zone which is 3 inches or so above the lowest point on the interstate with no issues.  I think even at full up 65 or 70 mph should be fine.  Just my .02. 

Ride Safe!  Have Fun!

Yup mine shakes at low speeds on bumpy roads too.
I don't like that much, seems worrisome to me too.

I've got serveral thousand miles on mine and I ride full up at speed (80+/-) particularly when cold or wet.  Also in the wind though I'd slow down and lower it in gusty winds that are strong enough to send you into the next lane (or ditch).  Also ride on some pretty crappy blacktop and dirt roads.  Shakes like hell but hasn't broken yet.  I've read that it's not prudent to try to move it up or down when traveling at speed so I don't but doubt an occassional move would do much harm.  Neither the stock shield nor the CB is very thick compared with the CB shield I got for the R1150RT which is at least 1/4 inches thick.  However, the BMW CB shield is plexiglass and I believe the C14 CB shield is acrylic.  Just guessing that the acrylic is more flexible by nature and imagine some nice online physicist will confirm or deny that for us.  Anyway, no issues yet with either CB shield.  If it breaks, I'll try something else as soon as I clean up the mess in my pants. :-\

I don't think too many people are really worried about the shield breaking, I know I'm not, I have another. What we are worried about is it breaking the internals of the shield raise and lower mechanism.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.  Sounds like it does indeed shake more than the stock unit, but that seems to be OK, at least for the amount of miles reported so far...

I just got my bike this week and only about 500 miles so far, but I have noticed some wobbling of the stock shield at around 80 mph.  The position it was in at the time was extended, but not all the way.

I'm interested in a shield with a bit more width in protection, and thickness was something I am considering along with size, due to the wobbling.

Peter

Mr. Tim. For what it's worth. Im runing the C- Baily euro cut have been for 50,000 miles plus. Have had the shield mecomnisum replaced two times under warranty.

Necron99 said:
Cal-Sci doesn't do that.  :)  Just sayin'.

I had a couple of Cal Sci's and I don't think any of them really moved around. The V Stream did. But like Brent said. I'm more concerned with the mechanism breaking!

After taking off my tinted Cee Bailey and putting my Kawi tall back on, I'm not convinced the others don't shake. I think because the Cee Bailey was tinted was why I noticed it more. On the other hand the Cee Bailey was certainly thicker so I think it definitely shakes more than the others.

I just put on a Euro Cut yesterday and It shakes quite a bit too.  I must also admit I'm a little concerned about the windshield mechanism with all the vibration!

I've done a Cee Baily for 1000 miles and now my Cal Sci. I can say definitively that the Cal Sci is a lot more stable.  The T cut reduces the back pressure and turbulence.  It works.  Ergo... the Sci in Cal Sci.