• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Center Stand

rje_cne

Ok, I have a really interesting issue. Today when I got home and went to put the bike on the center stand, the bar straightened out and I lost all leverage to get it up on the stand. This is really wierd since it is always going up on the center stand in the garage. Not sure where to go from here, and I tried rebending the bar, but it dind't work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Not sure what to say except maybe have it reinforced and re-welded. It is funny that I had never heard of this happening until the last few years. It seems that the later models may have gotten all the crappy parts at the bottom of the bins. Glad I got an 04 :) Photos[/url]

Sounds like a simple case of metal fatigue. After all, rocking a 1/4 ton+ onto a simple hollow A-frame over and over and over is bound to weaken it. Pull it off, heat it with a torch to bend it back and weld a triangular brace off the lever. Check the other welds - chances are they may be compromised also as centerstands will twist with one foot moving forward of the other when tired. That would, of course require straightening and reinforcing there too. Or just replace it... Cheers, Hank Craftsman 16HP Lawn Tractor

Robert, I checked Bike Bandit and the replacement centerstand is around $100. As reasonable as it gets IMHO. Hank, Craftsman 16HP Lawn Tractor

I have ordered a replacement through BikeBandit and applied the AMA discount as well, with standard shipping it was under $100. Hoping they can actually get it. Called my dealer and they showed that the part number 34011-1138 is a discontinued item and that there was only one left in California. Will keep this updated as I go. After I get the replacement, I will take the original into work and see if my metal guys can do something to repair/reinforce.

Well, the estimated delivery is tomorrow. I went through the Clymer and there is no mention of Center Stand or replacing it. I am hoping it is fairly simple, remove the spring and remove a couple of bolts and then replace. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Center Stand arrived today, but discovered that I have to remove the side stand to get the left bolt off the center stand. Since I don't have a lift yet, that is becoming a difficult proposition. Hopefully after we close on the new house, I will get a HF lift and then I will be able to do this as well.

You can lean it against a wall or tie off to a roof support. Just a thought, it can be fairly simple. Doesn't have to support a lot of weight, just balance. --chris - on the trailing edge of technology

We have used 2 ratcheting tie downs hooked to rafters to pic ours up at times. Cumalongs would work even better. "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

I replaced my center stand last year but the side stand was not removed. All I had to do was rotate the side stand electrical switch out of the way. It was somewhat a PITA, but certainly very doable. Edit to add: I removed the mufflers as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, right now I am in a rental house. The garage is finished so I can't get to the rafters or the like and I dont have any other way at the moment. After I move, I will be able to empty the trailer and can even do it in there afterwards.

I'm not sure but I think you missed my point. Just leave the bike on the side stand, no jacks or lifting required. The side stand does not need to come off.