• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Charging problem maybe?

I woke up later then planned to a rainy windy day with the chance of snow. But I'd been looking forward to this trip for a while. So bike packed and well warmed up, I'm almost ready to go, and I split the crotch in my rain pants. So I stop for some new ones and I'm on my way. Just a little ways out of town my bike dies. As if I ran out of gas. Connie was running beautifully, but then would die, start, die, start, and finally die. I got her going again with half choke but she died again before I could get to speed. The only way I could get her home is if I kept above 7000RPM with partial choke. She'd even die during the first few shift changes. After holding at about 8000 rpm for a strech I could get through corners without stalling. I had to ride through town screeming in first gear. So I'm thinking perhaps I have a problem with my charging system. Any ideas? Thanks,

If I was you, I would look for a fuel problem first. Nothing you say that happened indicates an electrical problem. Was your headlight still lit? Was the starter still cranking the engine? High RPM and 1/2 choke to keep running, sounds like a fuel problem. Check the fuel filter, the vacuum shut off valve and even the valve for the reserve. Check and see if cold intake air and some vapor of water in your fuel could have cause fuel line freezing.

If you have a voltmeter you should check how much voltage is getting back to the battery, should be 13+ volts when the bike is running. How old is the battery? Double check all the connections are clean and tight. Has the bike been sitting for any length of time? Could the carbs have plugged up? Drain bowls into clear container and check for crud.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll check it out. One thing I did notice while on the road was: While driving in the rain I had my highbeam on and as Connie started stalling I turned my light to low beam. This seemed to make it run normal for about 2 seconds. However I suppose it could've been coincidence as it was going on and off for a bit before she shut right down. Thanks again,

How full was the tank at the time and had you just done anything with the petcock? I am thinking water in the gas or no gas getting down due to vacuum in tank. Could a tank bag been cutting off the air getting into the fuel cap? Photos[/url]

Yes I had a big honking tank bag on there. Could that have really been the problem? The tank is close to being full. The pet **** was on reserve. I put it back on "On" which made no difference. I've used reserve rather frequently with no problems. I just forgot to put her back to on last time I filled up. So I can see how the tank bag could be the problem but what boggles my mind is that people use them all the time. I use them all the time for that matter. Perhaps I just had it on too tight. I'll have to go for a ride with out it and see what that does.

So I did find some crud in the float bowls. It doesn't look like a lot, but maybe it doesn't take much? I don't know. My bike doesn't have a fuel filter so I suppose I should get one. Call me lazy but, is there any way to clean the carbs without having to remove them? I'm sure the battery is fine but I'd like to check it. Unfortunatly I use the ohm meter so little I can never remember what to set it at to check it. Could someone give me a clue? Also I haven't experimented with it as I'm unsure whether it would brake if I had it on the wrong setting. I'm borrowing one but can't get a hold of it's owner to ask about it. I was hoping the rain would let up, but since it hasn't I'm about to brave the weather to see if not having the tank bag on there makes a difference. Funny how I don't mind the weather that much when classified as an adventure, but if I'm stuck in town it's almost like poison. :)

So I did find some crud in the float bowls. It doesn't look like a lot, but maybe it doesn't take much? I don't know. My bike doesn't have a fuel filter so I suppose I should get one. Call me lazy but, is there any way to clean the carbs without having to remove them?
Yup, it don't take much crud Yup, I'd git a fuel filter (and new line if it's olde) Yup, flush/drain/tap on the bowls using prime. Ya may wanna flush the tank too. And keep it full, ya heer?! ;) 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

I took Connie out for a ride around town and she was completely back to normal. I went without the tank bag and after initially draining the outer bowls. So how do you keep your tank bag from blocking the tank from breathing? Is it enough to be careful not to overtighten it? I'll clean out my bowls anyways. I got a fuel filter. I'm guessing fuel line is 1/4 inch. I'm thinking maybe I should change my lines. Does anyone know off hand how much line I need, and Am I correct in assuming 1/4 inch? Thanks for all your help guys.

It's 5/16" or 8mm. Jest long enuf to give it a nice smoooove S curve down to the carbs. Too long & it'll kink when hot, BTDT. 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

And just as an 'Oh, by the way", I'm one of those who can't run a fuel filter on my bike. I know some use them with no issues but some of us have fueling problems. On the highway, mine felt like it was starving for gas. New fuel lines, no kinks. I know Paulie has run a filter for something like a gazillion miles and hasn't had any problem, but I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones. Just sayin'! Eddie COG Marketing Asst. Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

Read my articles in the Concourier about all this. They should be in the library now. One question I do have no answer to is IF a tank bag really can cut off air. I have not studied the fuel cap enough to know for sure. It seems like if the over flow tube is working then air would be able to get in that way. I would like to confirm this but can't this week. My tank bag I pull far back toward me so I can fuel without taking it off. Photos[/url]

I haven't looked at this in awhile but aren't there two breathers on the tank? One in the cap and one on the back of the tank with a rubber hose attached. I don't believe a tank bag can stop air flow through the cap. Crap in the float bowls will definitely cause the problem. Also the problem won't go away by cleaning the carbs only. You need to clean the tank and possibly coat the inside. While it may go away for a while it will return. Ask me how I know.

Well the bike was back to normal all afternoon yesterday but on my way home in the evening I was back to square one. I was just at my fathers house today for a family members birthday party and we were just talking about the same thing. That is, how there is a breather hose that might be pinched. I wanted to take her for a good ride today to try to figure things out but as my trailer hitch/rack and hwy pegs arrived, I spent the free time I had mounting them. I explained to my father about the gunk that came out of the carbs as mostly looking like fine salt. I forget what he called it but he said it's a film that comes from gas sitting in the carbs over the winter. We then found out that I put the wrong additive in my gas over the winter as well, so it's probably like that in the whole tank too. At least I now have a fuel filter. Hopefully that helps. It's supposed to rain the next few days, so when the weather turns up I'll have to drain the carbs again and see what I get. I'll also check to make sure I didn't pinch that hose. Thanks for everyones advice. What a great group.