• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Charging the Battery on the C14

wackettrw

I would like to be able to charge the battery on my 2010 Kawasaki Concours (C14) using my Deltran Battery Tender Junior (DBT Jr) through a plug/connector (like I did on my BMWs).

1. Is the DBT Jr of sufficient volts to charge the C14 battery. NOTE: The C14 alternator appears to put out 14.4 volts maximum per the battery voltage display on the monitor screen?

2. Is there an adapter wire & plug that connects the DBT Jr to the Accessory Socket for charging the battery?

3. Is the C14 "Accessory Socket" of sufficient capacity to handle the "reverse draw" (i.e. the charge)? Per the C14 handbook, the C14 has a 5 amp fuse on the electrical Accessory Socket circuit & the Accessory Socket handles 60 watts of draw for accessories.

4. Could charging the battery using the Accessory Socket damage other electrical circuits/equipment on the C14?

5. If the above Accessory Socket method for charging the battery is impossible on the C14, what is the easiest remedy?

As the C14 handbook suggests, removing the battery in order to charge it, is not acceptable to me, as I ride often, even in the winter. I want to be able to come home & plug in the charger after each ride.

Richard W Wackett

First off, the accessory socket is not powered when the bike is off, so you won't be able to use it as a charging receptacle for your battery tender unless you rewire it so it's always hot.

The Deltran Battery Tenders I have bought came with a fused SAE type plug that you can hard wire direct to the battery and leave on the bike permanently for the purpose of recharging. Just be sure that the exposed prong on the SAE plug on the bike side is always connected to ground, because if it accidentally touches metal on the bike it will short out if you have it connected to the positive lead. The positive lead of the bikes battery should always go to the recessed female side of the plug. Also, be sure to put a fuse on the positive lead as close the battery connection as you can to protect against shorts.

As for the Battery Tender Junior, it puts out about .75 amps. This is probably enough to hold a charge on the battery if it is already in a fair state of charge, but it won't be enough to re-charge a battery that is low in any acceptable time frame. You really need at least a 1.5 amp or 2.0 amp charger to be able to recharge a used battery or initialize a new one. I'd probably suggest spending the extra money and getting the regular Battery Tender unit. If you just want a charger to plug into the bike during wintertime to keep the battery up, then the Junior model would probably work for that, but personally I would want one that could also recharge a battery that got run down.

Wal Mart and Sears also sell some inexpensive 2 amp automatic charges that cost less than the Deltran unit, but I've had a few of them fail over the years where my Deltran unit is still going strong after 7 or 8 years now, despite being run over by my garden tractor a couple of times.

If you get the higher wattage SAE leads, you can also use them to power items like heated clothing or a miniture air compressor. There are several folks that sell the 15 amp version on Ebay (versus the standard 7.5 amp version). They also have a nice rubber cap that goes over them when not in use which helps protect against crud getting in them and accidental shorts. This is what I use

(click on the image to see the ebay sellers site).

To Fred/All,

If I were to use an OptiMate3 Battery Charger (superior to the Deltran Battery Tender Junior) with the recommended 15 amp eyelet cable battery connector with the in-line fuse and weather/crud-proof rubber cap (to be used in both "directions" i.e. for heating clothes & charging my C14 battery), will I void my 3 year unlimited mile warranty (+ the 3 yr extended warranty I purchased on my 2010 Kawasaki Concours)? What if I have my local Kawasaki Dealer install the non-OEM "pigtails", will this help maintain the warranty?

P.S. NOTE: I have already ordered the 2 above non-Kawasaki items (charger & pigtails). But, will I not be covered by the Kawasaki warranty if anything electrical happens to my C14?

P.P.S. I never had this problem with my prior BMWs, as I had the dealer install the BMW plug-in sockets before I even took possession of the new motorcycles. Are we on our own with Kawasaki products? I'm new to this arrangement.

Richard

No, they can't void the warranty. But if they can prove the battery tender damaged the part you are trying to replace under warranty. Then they could refuse to warranty said part. But I don't think I would worry about a battery tender. Just makes sure you get the leads correct!  :D

I wouldn't loose sleep over your warranty just cause you added a connector for a battery charger. The only way it might affect your warranty is if something you did on the installation caused the a problem. In general, most dealerships will ignore aftermarket items installed by owners on bikes when processing warranty claims, UNLESS one of the those items caused the problem that the owner is asking for warranty coverage on. Another words, simple common sense applies. If you add an electrical connector and your transmission locks up, the dealer isn't going to deny your transmission claim. However, if you bolt on a turbo charger to your bike and then want to file a warranty claim cause your engine self destructed, then chances are good it will be denied.

Fred H. (& other Coggers),
  Thank you for your prompt replies to my questions/concerns and your suggestions how to proceed on setting up an efficient system to charge my C14 battery ... in place & on demand ... w/o removing the battery (as outlined in the C14 handbook), in addition to having a "plug" available for my heat-regulated garments.

Regarding my warranty concerns, I purchased the more powerful/optioned OptiMate 3+ battery charger which has lockout protection in case of a short circuit AND I plan to have my local Kawasaki Dealer install (although it appears relatively simple to install oneself) the 15 amp fused battery connector with the weather/crud-proof rubber cap I purchased from the Company recommended by Fred H. If Kawasaki installs the "pigtails", it will be difficult for them to void the warranty if an electrical problem occurs down the road.

Thanks again for your help!

Richard W. Wackett

Yesterday, I had my Kawasaki Dealer install the "pigtails" to my C14 battery. Total charge was $50 and it took approximately 1/2 hour. Hope this method keeps warranty intact, if future electrical problem.

The pigtail sticks out/down approximately 2" on the right side of the bike next to the battery cover. Appears to be in a good place for hooking up my heated jacket heat controller & for charging the battery on the bike in my garage.

Currently awaiting the ordered OptiMate III+ battery charger and  new Gerbing micro fiber heated jacket (had old inefficient non-micro fiber 1990s version of Gerbing jacket made by Gerbing wiring an old First Gear Kilomanjaro jacket liner). I'll let you know how it all works out. Thanks again.

Rich

One approach is to install, somewhere on the bike, a Powerlet connector that is strapped directly to the battery. Powerlet usually supplies these with a fused lead for connecting their connector to the motorcycle battery.

This connector can then be used for high current accessories such as heated gear. Once the bike is back in the garage simply plug the battery tender into the same outlet. Convenient.

Lots of good ways to do this, primarily a matter of preference.

Yes I have my Gerbings plug run right off the battery. It runs a 15 amp fuse. So I just  made up adapter cords to just plug into the Gerbings cable. I run my air pump from that. The trickle charger could also be used this way. If you install one cable with enough capacity to handle it all. Then you just make up adapter cords to do it all for you.

BBAR said:
Yes I have my Gerbings plug run right off the battery. It runs a 15 amp fuse. So I just  made up adapter cords to just plug into the Gerbings cable. I run my air pump from that. The trickle charger could also be used this way. If you install one cable with enough capacity to handle it all. Then you just make up adapter cords to do it all for you.

This is also exactly what I did.  I have the waterproof Deltran battery tender.  My bike lives outside, under a cover.  The tender is currently plugged in to the Gerbing plug and, especially during the winter months, is always plugged in when the bike isn't being ridden.

When I picked up my new 09 C14 from the dealer it had that connector on it for the battery tender, They said they install them on all the bikes they sell.

joe in calif said:
When I picked up my new 09 C14 from the dealer it had that connector on it for the battery tender, They said they install them on all the bikes they sell.
Same for my 09 C14. Under the cover on the right side. No need to remove the battery.