• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cheap Backrest and seat Mod

roman

Training Wheels
My wife really did not like the stock backrest on our Givi case and our seat was tired and worn. Looking at new seats and backrests was very expensive. The answer was two-fold. First I sent the seat to Spencers' Moto-care. www.greatdaytoride.com. He was able to replace all the insides of my seat for only $90.00 (total of $120.00 with shiping from CA to FL). There is an upolstery shop accross from the local Kawi shop in town. I took the Givi trunk there and the owner added foam all around the stock backrest and recovered it. We took a ride this past weekend (sunny 68 degrees :))to test out the mods and were very happy with the results. So instead of the $700 for a new Corbin seat/backrest this only cost a total of $210.00. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures I will post before and after pics, Roman 2001 Concours California

OK this is my attempt to link the pics. I am new at this so let me know if the link works. The first pic should you can see the entire seat. With Spencers work there is no change to the exterior of the seat. My cover is in good shape so there is no difference in the look just the feel ;p. The next pics are the backrest before and after. This is the same backrest just modified to be taller and wider. A much better fit. For the price it can not be beat. Roman http://picasaweb.google.com/rcstrauther/BackrestAndSeatMod?authkey=Gv1sRgCPGH1dTmgfPifQ&feat=directlink 2001 Concours California

Looks gr8. How do you like the seat? I have been thinking about having my seat done. What did you have them do to your seat? How long was their turn around time?

Hate to do this but Givi does make a softer backrest. It came out a couple years ago so us with older units all have the harder pads. Just thought I would be sure readers of the thread knew. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/937/418/ ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Bob, Just an FYI. That is the backrest I have on my Givi case. It says "soft" backrest but it is not very soft or comfortable. For one it is too small. Also the gel pads on the sides are actually pretty stiff. (harder then the center) It may be OK for those of shorter stature but for a taller person (my wife is 5'11") it hit on the low portion of the back and did not feel like it would give good support. Just adding a little height (3") and width (1" on each side) made it a much better feel for her. 2001 Concours California

Snarf, Like the seat so far (have put on 300 miles on it so far) He completly replaced the interior of the riders portion with a material called "Supracor" and the passenger section with Foamex. It only cost $90.00 plus $30 for shipping. They are in Florida and I am in California. It took 5 days to get to him, one day to work on and 5 days to get back. (by ground) Hopethis helps, Roman 2001 Concours California

I just joined...bought a 93 Connie on Apr 18th! Was looking for some info about a travel trunk, and saw the pix you posted. WHAT MODEL of Givi trunk IS that? the E450? the Monokey V46? When I talked to the people at Competition Accessories, they talked me out of getting the Shad trunk that I wanted,(said the mounting plate would not fit on a Concours!?) and tried to steer me towards the V46 Givi--as that model was $80 more expensive than the E450....what gives? I thought ALL Givi cases could be fit on ANY bike--it's just a matter of getting the right hardware...any suggestions?

If you want a Shad, did you talk to Murphs first. Pretty much the first place to look for anything Connie related. I believe he sells them, and will have the proper mounting kits for a Connie. http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_109 2003 Concours, 49K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Tom, The Monolock is the older system and not as compatible. The Monokey is the new system and very interchangable. See my other post to you for my feelings on the GIVI system. Thanks, Robert Elliott Cornelia, GA 2006 C10 COG # 7598 CDA#0293

Tom, The model is a Monokey E52. I believe it is the largest they have. I can fit two full faced helmets in it and still have room for little things(Gloves, blutooth etc...). The case was on the bike when I bought it. It is much more expensive then the Shad cases. The guy I bough my bike from gave me all his recipts and he paid $400.00 for the trunk, backrest and mounting kit back in '04. I like the case except for the backrest. But now that I had the backrest re-done, it is great (Wife loves it ). Having the extra brake lights on the back is a nice safety feature also. I have not tried Shad but hear good things about them. Roman :) 2001 Concours California COG #8642

E53 eating to full face helmets. As mentioned you could fit small stuff in there too. http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/images/Dscn2684.jpg 2003 Concours, 49K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

They will be having a larger bag out soon, supposed to be 55-56 liters. Robert Elliott Cornelia, GA 2006 C10 COG # 7598 CDA#0293

Now that I would like to see. I wonder if the shape is more squared then the E52. That is the only thing I do not like too much is it is too round. A more square unit would fit the body of the Connie better. It would match the side bags to give it a more symetric look. 2001 Concours California COG #8642

'He completly replaced the interior of the riders portion with a material called "Supracor" and the passenger section with Foamex' It looks like you were happy with the shape of the seat in its original form. I'ld really like to hear your before and after thoughts regarding what the new foam did for you and your wife.

Stan, Before we had the seat re-done it was difficult to ride even short rides without major discomfort. My wife would be sore after a short while and my lower back would not feel too good either. I bought gel pads to use because it was too uncomfortable. When I bought it it had the stock seat with no alterations. It is an '01 with 23,000 miles on it. It may be that the rider's section was just formed to the previous rider and the passenger section was not used very much (his wife did not ride much) Now that we made the change we feel much better. The riders' section seems to mold to my backside better. It is like I seat IN the seat rather then ON the seat. For my wife. She says that it is simply more comfortable. She does not feel the pressure in her tailbone like before. We have yet to take a long ride but have done short rides (under 100 miles) and it has been definite improvement. Looking to test out the longer rides shortly. (Still have the gel pads just in case) ;) Roman 2001 Concours California COG #8642