• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Check Upper Triple Treee Bolts

currenv

Bicycle
Friends,

Probably a one-off but I thought I'd pass this along. 

Poking around the front end of my bike this afternoon, the bracket that holds the left side wiring harness at the upper triple tree was moving.  That's not right -- I took a closer look.

Turns out that the upper left side pinch bolt was loose.  Not loose as in not quite torqued down enough, but loose as in I could unscrew it by hand.  Pretty surprising to me since I haven't been in there in the two years I've owned the bike and the previous owner is quite capable in working on these bikes.  I'm not a very aggressive rider, either.  The right side upper was fine, by the way.  I haven't checked the lowers yet, but I will.

So... it might be worth taking a minute and making sure that yours are still tight.

Vinnie

Those have been known to loosen. Thanks for the reminder. Haven't looked at mine for a couple of years.

Gonna have to check mine. Didn't notice while replacing brake lines yesterday.
Also, do check your saddlebag bolts inside of the bags. Mine had 2 literally on the bottom of the right bag...

mine are all tight, no loose bag screws either. Thanks for the post though. Others may find the same as you?

I had my shocks out for the Traxxion AK-20 upgrade less than a year ago. They were torqued to spec. Are we saying this is an assembly issue, or they can loosen up on their own?  I guess the service manual rules all since it says to routinely check bolts.  ::)

4 Bikes,

I think mine loosened up on its own.  I pulled the bolt and it looked fine, although no sign of threadlocker.  I added some and torqued it back down.  The other side was fine, although I pulled it and added threadlocker on it, too.

I haven't gotten to the lower pinch bolts yet.

Vinnie