• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Check your air pressure / Pilot GT help

lssmith

Big Wheel
Been awhile since I logged in here, so long in fact I had to get a new login. Anyway, lesson to all, check your tire pressure often.  Last November I crashed going 50 mph here in Tucson. I grabbed a handfull of front brake, handlebars locked hard left, I continued to go 50 mph without the bike.  I was so far in front of my bike the first cop on the scene asked me if I got up and walked. Uh no.... Broke four ribs, T-1 Vertabrae, collapsed lung and left about ten pounds of meat on the street.  When I finally got to where I could inspect my bike the first thing I checked was the front tire air pressure....18 pounds in a Pilot GT and down to the wear bars...very bad.

I am in the process of putting this machine back together and need a new front tire.  Currently I run the GL 1500 Pilot GT front and back which I see is no longer offered.  I know, another tire thread!  I just need advice from those who have switched from the GT, or anyone else for that matter.  Your help is much appreciated!

WOW! I think I need some toilet paper thinking about it.

A lot of guys here use Avon. I don't...When it come to Bias Ply tires I differ to the wing guys.

Per their recommendation, I put on a new set of Dunlop elite-3's. LOVE THEM!!!! I had pilot GT's on before they are not in the same league IMHO.

Dunlop has re-done their rubber putting a softer compound on the edges and a harder compound in the center.

I also go to a Honda dealer to get them. The local dealer here will replace the set for $340 and they have a high speed balancer.

They currently have 12,000 miles on them and I will tell you that they have another ten left.

Big deal about going with a dealer like them is how fresh the tires are going to be. It is a very big deal as tires have about a 5 year shelf life. They get hard and are dangerous to ride on..

My 2 Penney's...Mark

Seems to me you would  want to get yourself a set of tire pressure monitors. I always check my tire pressure but that still didn't  save me from picking up  a nail and riding on a flat tire.
Now I have TP monitors and I know  right away if there is an issue.
By the way IMHO I have ridden a Connie with wing tires. Yuk, it handles like a slow fat grumpy pig. To each his own. I wonder why Wings don't handle like that?
Also, I too have grabbed a fist full of brakes only to find not much happening. That is the reason many of us  have big brake kits on them. Again , just my opinion, please don't shoot me. If it were me I would be thinking about making sure what happened would  never happen again. Sticky grippy tires that get normal to low  mileage is what I prefer but hey, that's me.
Sorry if I offend... well not really . I like to think I am helping others by warning and educating them. Forums are great for that and opinions.

"If it were me I would be thinking about making sure what happened would  never happen again."  Jesus yes exactly! Just trying to relate my experience while trying to figure a new direction in tire application. Liked the Pilot GT for its wear but maybe I need to go  back to radial? I really appreciate the feedback COG Forum members are always great.

I was running Pilot Gts also until I couldn't get them anymore.  I bought  a set of bridgestones and now I like the bike much better.  I am really suprised at how much more "sporty"s it is.  If you do a search you can find a lot of info on tires on this forum, in fact I think there is a "sticky" about tires.  Bill

Amazing that you are well enough to "give it another go", and I am glad you are doing so.

As a cautionary tale everyone needs to understand that regardless of the machine there are two small contact patches between you and the ground. Taking care that those contact patches are in the best condition can mean the difference of, well you all know.  Proper maintenance means regular and routine checking of all the vitals, but IMHO the most important of all is your contact patch. In a word your Tires.  Black, round, yes full of air (the right amount), of course wear, are they? sidewall checking, Any? age, Oh yes they age, and overall condition. These are the things that keep us safe in an emergency and these are also the things that prevent us from being in that emergency. Image if the tire was properly inflated, would it have cocked the way it did? Doubtful. Would you have crashed, perhaps not.

Get a new set a matching set of tires, don't mickey mouse about. After all you have been through I think you deserve it, or at least you owe it to yourself.

Don't most manuals say to check your tires, oil and a host other things before every ride. But to be honest, who really does that. I am sure 1 or 2 do, but come on really, every ride?

I know I was not too bad at checking things once in a while, and  keeping up on maintenance. But to get better at 2Linby's comments, a while back I added "Tires" to my list of weekend chores. I try and check the tire pressure every weekend for all my vehicles. And inspect the Connies for damage. I used to tell myself I need to get better at checking the Connies tires, but never really happended. Creature of habit. Was not until I started writing it down on a list, and being able to see it and check it off, done. I always try and check before long rides too. I have always been good at this. And of course there are times where I am gone or something. But the frequency at which I check the tires is up dramatically.

"Don't most manuals say to check your tires, oil and a host other things before every ride. But to be honest, who really does that. I am sure 1 or 2 do, but come on really, every ride? "

I'm glad you are not a Pilot of any type.....That being said, you couldn't feel 18lbs in there? Did you think it was stuck in glue when you backed the bike out of the garage? I don't see how you can blame the tire. Is it supposed to inflate itself?
Sorry you went down bro but....

I don't think anyone is blaming the tire, this is operator error. And while the low pressure may have contributed, I don't think that's the only reason he went down.
Scott said:
I grabbed a handfull of front brake, handlebars locked hard left

Low air pressure or not, grabbing a 'handful of front brake', braking with the front so hard the 'handlebars locked hard left' I think is more indicative of over braking than under pressure.

Of course it's impossible to say for certain whether the reaction from the bike would have been the same with a properly inflated tire. No doubt, good tires will give better control.

I have the GT's on an '88 and Avons on an '01. Each have good points and bad. In general, the GT's are more stable on the highway, over uneven pavement, and grip the road just fine. The Avons have quicker steering, easier handling in the twisties. The Avons make the bike feel lighter. For longer, mostly slab trips I would choose the GTs, for a quick mountain ride the Avons

Not offended.
I find Christine handles just fine with the e-3's. The point I was making was how soft the rubber is on these new compounds.
I think they are using the same rubber that is used on the radial bias.

I can scrape the pegs with Wifey on the rear. That is good enough for me.

I happen to like the stability with these..No wobble even after 12000. That is of course keeping the pressure up on them..Running 40 f 42r.

If I wanted to buy a new set of tires every 8 of 9 thousand miles I would probably purchase a 14.

but that is just me. I am a cheap F**ker...Mark

+1 
Based on the information provided, I have to agree with WillyP. 
Maximum braking is defined as "full application of both brakes WITHOUT locking either wheel."

WillyP said:
I don't think anyone is blaming the tire, this is operator error. And while the low pressure may have contributed, I don't think that's the only reason he went down.
Scott said:
I grabbed a handfull of front brake, handlebars locked hard left

Low air pressure or not, grabbing a 'handful of front brake', braking with the front so hard the 'handlebars locked hard left' I think is more indicative of over braking than under pressure.

Of course it's impossible to say for certain whether the reaction from the bike would have been the same with a properly inflated tire. No doubt, good tires will give better control.

I have the GT's on an '88 and Avons on an '01. Each have good points and bad. In general, the GT's are more stable on the highway, over uneven pavement, and grip the road just fine. The Avons have quicker steering, easier handling in the twisties. The Avons make the bike feel lighter. For longer, mostly slab trips I would choose the GTs, for a quick mountain ride the Avons

diablo6v said:
"Don't most manuals say to check your tires, oil and a host other things before every ride. But to be honest, who really does that. I am sure 1 or 2 do, but come on really, every ride? "

I'm glad you are not a Pilot of any type.....That being said, you couldn't feel 18lbs in there? Did you think it was stuck in glue when you backed the bike out of the garage? I don't see how you can blame the tire. Is it supposed to inflate itself?
Sorry you went down bro but....

Sorry bro, but "I" didnt go down. And I have never found 18psi in the front tire of my Connie. So I dont know if I could have felt it or not.  And while your glad I am not a pilot, I will stick with my observation. I bet that the riders who check tire pressure before every single ride are so rare its crazy.  -- I just merely related my experience in how I trained myself to get better at it. I used to be like most riders and not check often enough, much less every ride. Now I check most every weekend.  And while its not as often as a few people out there, I bet its way more than most riders.

"left about ten pounds of meat on the street."  ATGATT!!  I did a slide over the windshield in Kentucky for 100' or more and not a scratch on my skin but riding gear took a bad hit.

Only 18 lbs in front tire is barely rideable. Must have been a leak. My bike sits for 3 months in winter and air pressure never gets that low.
  Scott, hope you are back riding soon after you heal. And glad you posted your accident. It's a wake up call for all of us and WE need it at times. Get well soon and back on the road.  Tom 

Kawadog said:
If I wanted to buy a new set of tires every 8 of 9 thousand miles I would probably purchase a 14.

but that is just me. I am a cheap F**ker...Mark

My sentiments exactly  :))  I have a zx10r that consumes my annual tire budget.

Thanks guys for all your support I appreciate it!  I was just trying to illustrate a point that if you don't keep your bike properly maintained this might happen (as it did to me).  I only have myself to blame.  I figured while I was at it I might solicit a little info about new rubber as I have been out of the loop awhile. Scott...

Sir, I salute you for being a true biker. any lesser rider would have sold their ride and duds and counted their blessings. glad to hear that you'll heal up and that this experience didn't traumatize you from riding. I just recently ordered a rear tire from motorcycle superstore. their webste makes it very easy. all you do is enter the size of the tire and the brand and the tires corresponding to your entry pops up.