• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

CHECK YOUR BIKE!!!

mcgyver74

Well, on the way home from the Spring Fling, I was noticing a slight "wobble" in the bars at speed,  I figured I needed to retorque the head bearings again.

Well last night I went to check, and found that the center cap bolt (the one that takes the monster Allen socket and holds the upper tree to the stem) was so loose I could take it off with my fingers.  :-\     

Moral of the story, is always double check your work and make sure bolts are tight!!!

I plan to retorque everything I can see on that bike this weekend!!!

A few months ago I noticed mine was missing completely  :-\  I never noticed any difference in the handling, and the dealer replaced the parts under warranty.  I replaced using blue locktite and check it often now.

Those bolts fall out fairly regularly. Kawasaki was a bit negligent in torquing them to spec. when the bikes were assembled and a few people have had them fall out. I understand you left your loose after tweaking the headstock bearings but some of them were loose from brand new. In fact I was working on someone else's bike at tech. day in MA recently and just as I was about to really lean on that bolt to loosen it, it turned about effortlessly; loose from the factory.

One gentleman reported having his stem bolt fall out and bash a hole in his radiator on the way to the ground. I believe Kawasaki 'ate' that one including a new radiator if I remember correctly.

Brian

Mad River Marc said:
Well, on the way home from the Spring Fling, I was noticing a slight "wobble" in the bars at speed,  I figured I needed to retorque the head bearings again.

Well last night I went to check, and found that the center cap bolt (the one that takes the monster Allen socket and holds the upper tree to the stem) was so loose I could take it off with my fingers.  :-\     

Moral of the story, is always double check your work and make sure bolts are tight!!!

I plan to retorque everything I can see on that bike this weekend!!!

BDF said:
One gentleman reported having his stem bolt fall out and bash a hole in his radiator on the way to the ground. I believe Kawasaki 'ate' that one including a new radiator if I remember correctly.

Brian

that was me.
Yep ,mine fell out ,frt wheel spoke threw it back up into rad making a nice big hole.
I ate the cost of new 700 $ radiator .
I never even contacted the dealer or Kawasaki.
They might have helped, I dont know.
I know I just dont like even talking to them.
Mine is locktighted and indexed  now.

Yeah I prob didn't torque it when I first adjusted the headset bearings...it will be torqued to spec now and checked often :)