• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Clamp-on windshield deflectors anyone use 'em ?

spanner

Bicycle
What's the verdict on deflectors that clamp on to the top of the windshield. My CBailey shield is not quite tall enough, thought maybe an extra clamp-on might help to shoot wind over my helmet. Anyone using them and what results ?

My 04 came with a 24" Cee  Bailey and I find it a tad short... but then again  find alot of things a tad short since I'm 6'9".  A friend gave me a deflector that he didn't like, it came on his BMW which has since burned to the ground.  I clamps onto the windshield and can be well adjusted up/down and a wide angel span.  Worked great if my head never moved.... turn  slightly and bam wind noise.

Another friend loaned me a X-screen which I clamped on and found if I have no angle but straight up and down it was great, no noise... I could even turn down my ipod volume.  this was only a loan so it had to go back.  Same friend also loaned me a 26" Cee Bailey and the tallest Rife screen.  Still have wind noise.

Hopefully before winter I can try his newest Mustand system before deciding on the final solution for me.

So far my best set up is the X-screen but at $200 it seems expensive for a little add on deflector.  Option 2 would be to try to widen the deflector from the BMW but it only has a single mounting point so I worry about twisting in the wind.

Of course if I like the Mustand.... I know what I'm getting for Christmas! LOL

http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/mra-x-creen-add-on-variable-windscreen-spoiler-blade-clamp-on

The BMW extra

I have the X-Screen bolt on and it works very well. All I hear is engine noise, no wind noise or buffeting at all in the upper position. I push it down for heavy rain, twisties, and in town. Works well in the upper position up to the Ton and slightly beyond.

handyman said:
I have the X-Screen bolt on and it works very well. All I hear is engine noise, no wind noise or buffeting at all in the upper position. I push it down for heavy rain, twisties, and in town. Works well in the upper position up to the Ton and slightly beyond.
Handyman - Did you get the drilled or the clamp mount version?  I would love to save some money but i cringe and drilling into a good shield.

Derek said:
handyman said:
Handyman - Did you get the drilled or the clamp mount version?  I would love to save some money but i cringe and drilling into a good shield.

I have the drilled/bolt-on version. Originally had a tinted X-Screen mounted on a tinted Rifle, but did not like the lack of visibility in low light/raining conditions. Swapped out the tinted Rifle for a clear and mounted a clear X-Screen drilled/bolt-on version. The 15" Rifle and X-Screen are perfect for my 5'7" upright seated position.

Drilling the windscreen is a tough decision, as you must ensure you are mounting in the correct location. I mounted mine so that in its lowest position it is ~1/4" above the Rifle in respect to the horizontal plane. This allows a clear view over the windscreen as well as allowing the uppermost position for slab traveling. If weather allows, I'll snap a few pics tonight.