• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cleaning your 14

I guess it depends where I'm at and what I'm trying to clean. I've gone anywhere from a trash bucket with shampoo and water in a motel parking lot (sponge bath). To full wash, wax and protect. There are a lot of products out there that are decent. But my favorite is Westley's bleach white on the tires, followed by a bath with car soap and water. Then a wax job using Turtle Wax Ice. ICE allows me to clean up the whole bike and make it shine without a lot of work.
Sometimes it's detail in a can. Honda use to make a good can cleaner. S100 makes good cleaners in a can also. But truth be told, Kawasaki's cleaner in a can isn't bad either. I have a few can's that I have won or was added to an order of farkles as a freebie.

S100.........Make it your BEST friend! Buy the gallon size (more economical) with the optional sprayer!

Dolittle said:
??? What do you guys use to clean, wash your bikes with?? Car soap and water , bike cleaner????

Personally mine like a Bubble bath. Or WE do ! She's kinda partial to Mr Bubbles. We have so much fun together Squeaky Clean .
:)

Turtle Wax Car wash liquid, wet, soap, rinse, dry and ride!!

ry%3D480

I discovered a blue goo called Zymol many years ago.  It works great for keeping Connie both clean and shiny.
400a1818.jpg

I will be doing my first wash job soon. Had the bike for 1 1/2 months now and it's a mess. I was looking at it today and pondering all the nooks and crannies that are gonna take forever to clean.

Someone please tell me not use my pressure washer. It looks tempting, but I know there are problems with using one on a motorcycle.

I use car wash when I have it, but usually just use dish soap and water. My bikes get a good wax job about twice a year with Turtle Wax.

Here's a repeat of something I posted a while back. . .

DISCLAIMER: I am a little OCD, and fanatical about keeping my fleet clean (or at least trying to). I prefer not to use products that contain any silicone.

I have been impressed with the results from any of the Griot's Garage line of products. Really well thought-out products,and their guide to detailing is excellent. I like to wash the bike with boar's hair brushes or microfiber mitts (never use nylon or plastic brushes!) and rinse thoroughly, "blow dry" with a dedicated portable car vac/blower, then towel with chamois or microfiber. I use less soap than recommended in warm (not hot) water. If paint is already great, or a new bike, there is no need for polishing. Polish always removes "something", so unless you already have swirl marks or scratches you won't need it. On a new bike I'll start with Paint Prep to remove dealer-applied silicone-based treatments--they can contribute to haziness or poor adhesion of "better" products. Next I'll go over all painted surfaces with Speed Shine and paint cleaning clay to remove the micro-contaminates that don't come off with washing (!). On bodywork I use a 100% carnuba or Best of Show wax. On the wheels I use Paint Sealant which seems to last longer and makes it easier to clean wheels between rides. One of Griot's tech advisors turned me on to their Engine Bay Dressing, which I DO NOT spray on my motorcycle engine (like I do on the cars), but spray underneath the (cleaned) fenders--makes for easy rinsing throughout the riding season. I'll lightly wipe the Engine Bay Dressing on the hoses and cables coming up to the cockpit from the triple clamps, which helps them shed grime all season. This stuff does not stay wet and gooey like Armor-All (which I dislike). (*If you spray anything under the fenders, make sure to clean your tires real good!). Unpainted plastic surfaces get the Plastic Cleaner and Plastic Polish (use the polish with a very light touch, "less is more") with 100% cotton wipes and towels.

For the windscreen, I like the Cee Bailey's plastic polish and I only use the Dupont Sontara wipes--aerospace-grade polishing.

I'll do all of this and more (typically) at the end of the season, before hooking up the battery tender and putting on the cover (carefully--covers can and will scratch your paint and windscreens), and I'll do it again mid-season. Unless I get hit with a rain ride, I can just hit everything with the Speed Shine and microfiber after a ride and be ready-to-go with a seriously shiny and fast bike that stays clean looking for weeks on end. With good prep and detailing, I can do quick rinses throughout the season as needed, then use the Speed Shine or Spray-On Wax as needed.

Products like Pledge and Armor-All seem to actually attract more dirt and grime, and end up making a real detailing more difficult. Just my 2¢ worth.

A clean bike is a fast bike! A clean fast bike is a social magnet. When my bike is clean and shiny, I look 20 pounds thinner!! 

My Connie's a daily runner and I drive through all sorts of grime.  A couple of years ago, I saw something called car clay on an episode of Motor Week and got some.  After I give Connie a good wash, she's still kinda gritty.  If you run your hand over that tank, your fingers will just stick a little.  In pollen season they'll stick quite a bit.  Apply that clay following the directions (also available online) and all of that grit will simply disappear.  The clay is sticky enough to get it out and hold it, but you have to keep spraying to keep the friction down. 

Clay will take the wax off, so you have to wax Connie back up once you're done.  Consider it a pre-treatment for a good wax job.  This isn't for every day; I do it every three or four months.  It is really startling how much of an improvement it makes.

I use a combination of what others have said! I use Turtle Wax cleaner with a microfiber cloth, dry with microfiber and apply with wax (Ice). I use a spray cleaner/polish between washes, cannot remember the brand name, but works very well (made for boats, motorcycles, etc...) I always use a lot of water under some pressure prior to ever putting any cloth to the paint. I was told 40+ years ago that even though you can't see it, the fine particles of dust contain dirt and can actually scratch the paint or clear coat. :41:

:49:

ProfessorKonk said:
Here's a repeat of something I posted a while back. . .

DISCLAIMER: I am a little OCD, and fanatical about keeping my fleet clean (or at least trying to). I prefer not to use products that contain any silicone.

I have been impressed with the results from any of the Griot's Garage line of products. Really well thought-out products,and their guide to detailing is excellent. I like to wash the bike with boar's hair brushes or microfiber mitts (never use nylon or plastic brushes!) and rinse thoroughly, "blow dry" with a dedicated portable car vac/blower, then towel with chamois or microfiber. I use less soap than recommended in warm (not hot) water. If paint is already great, or a new bike, there is no need for polishing. Polish always removes "something", so unless you already have swirl marks or scratches you won't need it. On a new bike I'll start with Paint Prep to remove dealer-applied silicone-based treatments--they can contribute to haziness or poor adhesion of "better" products. Next I'll go over all painted surfaces with Speed Shine and paint cleaning clay to remove the micro-contaminates that don't come off with washing (!). On bodywork I use a 100% carnuba or Best of Show wax. On the wheels I use Paint Sealant which seems to last longer and makes it easier to clean wheels between rides. One of Griot's tech advisors turned me on to their Engine Bay Dressing, which I DO NOT spray on my motorcycle engine (like I do on the cars), but spray underneath the (cleaned) fenders--makes for easy rinsing throughout the riding season. I'll lightly wipe the Engine Bay Dressing on the hoses and cables coming up to the cockpit from the triple clamps, which helps them shed grime all season. This stuff does not stay wet and gooey like Armor-All (which I dislike). (*If you spray anything under the fenders, make sure to clean your tires real good!). Unpainted plastic surfaces get the Plastic Cleaner and Plastic Polish (use the polish with a very light touch, "less is more") with 100% cotton wipes and towels.

For the windscreen, I like the Cee Bailey's plastic polish and I only use the Dupont Sontara wipes--aerospace-grade polishing.

I'll do all of this and more (typically) at the end of the season, before hooking up the battery tender and putting on the cover (carefully--covers can and will scratch your paint and windscreens), and I'll do it again mid-season. Unless I get hit with a rain ride, I can just hit everything with the Speed Shine and microfiber after a ride and be ready-to-go with a seriously shiny and fast bike that stays clean looking for weeks on end. With good prep and detailing, I can do quick rinses throughout the season as needed, then use the Speed Shine or Spray-On Wax as needed.

Products like Pledge and Armor-All seem to actually attract more dirt and grime, and end up making a real detailing more difficult. Just my 2¢ worth.

A clean bike is a fast bike! A clean fast bike is a social magnet. When my bike is clean and shiny, I look 20 pounds thinner!!
And I thought you were crazy and this too much trouble till I read "look twenty pounds thinner"
Got to try this.

I also use turtle wax liquid . Wash mits and long handled
Blue bristle brush from orilley's. I use generous amount.
Seem to put a shine on. Chamois off. Warm up. Spray on
Turtle wax express shine. Easiest wax ever. Not on seat
Or tires though. My m50 has bout 70k and it still cleans
Up nice.

Chuck ^-^

Trouble said:
joe in calif said:
Turtle Wax Car wash liquid, wet, soap, rinse, dry and ride!!

ry%3D480

Hey! Whats that Blue Flag on the top of your windshield for ? ROTFLMMFAO  :rotflmao:

With my Cee Bailey shield I need a way to tell which way the wind is blowing!!  :)

My 2012 is black. Just like my ZX11 was. Pretty much the same issues as my ZX14 was (Midnight Metallic Sapphire Blue) before I make all carbon fiber (which you just wash).

So I will use the same method I started using with my ZX11 after I had the cowling repainted with German black laquers and clear coated.

Wash with a good quality non-waxing car wash, microfiber and Poor Boys it, and then wax it with a good quality pure carnuba wax.

When I got my ZX14 I knew right away I'd made a mistake. Not that I didn't have a ton of fun riding it.  I think I'm going to fall deeply in love with Connie.

I like shout brand laundry spray. Its mild, yet strong enough to get that "stuff" off of the rims after riding in the rain.

rcannon409 said:
I like shout brand laundry spray. Its mild, yet strong enough to get that "stuff" off of the rims after riding in the rain.

I'm a big fan of Griot's concentrated wheel cleaner. Mix in a bucket, use a wheel brush, takes it right off easy pesy.

I will try your shout solution, see how it works when the rims aren't really cruddy. You should have seen the rims on my ZX14 after I rode home from Ocean City Bike Week after 3 days of rain. OMG they were encrusted.

Dolittle said:
??? What do you guys use to clean, wash your bikes with?? Car soap and water , bike cleaner????

If it's really dirty I use Suzuki Wash. It's a spray-on like S100. If it's not too dirty I use a damp rag and maybe some Honda Cleaner.

Privateer said:
rcannon409 said:

I'm a big fan of Griot's concentrated wheel cleaner. Mix in a bucket, use a wheel brush, takes it right off easy pesy.

I will try your shout solution, see how it works when the rims aren't really cruddy. You should have seen the rims on my ZX14 after I rode home from Ocean City Bike Week after 3 days of rain. OMG they were encrusted.

I have been afraid to use wheel cleaners as I had one discolor the aluminum rims on my yz 250.  If that brand you mentioned is good, I'm back in.  Actually, it was simple green that did my rims in.  It was over 100 degrees on that specific day, but soemething went wrong.

Honda spray polish is really, really good. I forgot about that one.  Kind of like  a"Super Pledge"

But by far my favorite motorcycle cleaner/polish/protect is Maxima sc1  http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/MAXIMA-SC1-SILICONE-DETAILER

It works really well, but the best part is the smell. The best description is Cinnamon/new car rolled into one. I rarely see the spray can as my wife will take in inside to spray on the granite countertops.