• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Clear Front Turn Signals for 2006 C10

tinglew

Has anyone sourced these clear front turn signal lens from any other supplier than K&S Technologies?

http://www.kandstech.com/pimages/25-2212.html

The amber lens are all over the place, very common, the clear lens are listed as part numbers 25-2211C and 25-2212C. But ordering the clear lens is turning out to be a nightmare    :mad:  (if you ask me, maybe this is the norm?).

K&S seem to deal only with Parts Canada/Part-Unlimited/Drag Specialties distributors. Every dealer I have called (one from all 3) just say its not in the catalog, we can't get it. After contacting Parts-U international sales myself, they contacted the dealer themselves and finally worked out a process that will at least finally get me a price, but really, why is this so hard?

To me there seems to be a big market for clear lens, given the advancement in LED automotive bulb tech, this could double as a DRL and amber turn signal.

You manage to get a good part number, place an order and take delivery, I would be interested.

Following.

I guess I could make some, but not till after the National.  It'd take a couple of days to prototype and mold them and a little destructive testing of an existing amber set.  If I was doing that I might as well make rear lenses and tail ones too.

Rev Ryder said:
I guess I could make some, but not till after the National.  It'd take a couple of days to prototype and mold them and a little destructive testing of an existing amber set.  If I was doing that I might as well make rear lenses and tail ones too.
I'm in for a clear tank when you're done.

The clear ones for the rear signals are readily available, I just bought a pair from Ebay, 25-2040C. The front part numbers are valid, its just whether or not K&S will make and ship them at a reasonable cost. It could be another 3 weeks before I know.

millerized said:
Rev Ryder said:
I'm in for a clear tank when you're done.

This guy maybe able to set you up:

pic below:

Attachments

• cleartank.jpg
    cleartank.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 162
So he did. Not sure Pyrex is the material of choice for fuel cells, but it IS see through. LOL

Can you say, Molotov Cocktail?

I've got the marshmallows and graham crackers :great:

Roger

Don't know if they still do, but stations all once said, "no gasoline in glass containers."  :eek:

Im sure there is something, but any plastics that I know off that can be made clear would either be damaged by the fuel (stained or even melted) or by UV rays.  Glass can take both of those but is a tad fragile.  There's probably a water-clear resin that could be used with fiberglass to create a near clear tank with some strength. But typically you'd have to line it to protect the resin from the fuel. You'd need a clear POR15 to put in there.  ;D

For tail lights there are a number of epoxy and urethane resin options that would do a great job.  Or you could injection mold them, but that's bit harder to do at home and molding for it is quite expensive.

Depending on why you want the clear front lenses, you might just get the amber LEDs
From what I've read, amber lenses don't reduce the brightness of amber LEDs much, if at all.
Of course, if you want clear for aesthetics reasons then only clear will do.
Remember to use the right type if flasher if you do go LEDs.
I bet you could find LEDs that are much brighter than the current incandescent bulbs  :great:

Jorge

Jorge said:
I bet you could find LEDs that are much brighter than the current incandescent bulbs  :great:
I did.  Unfortunately, the design of the front turn signal reflectors and housings negate the improvement.  They work wonderfully in the rear brake and rear turn signals, though.  I still installed them in the front because I like how the LEDs "light up" vs stock.  But they really are pretty much the same brightness as the stock.

I received them last week and installed them on the weekend. I have not had any luck posting pictures so I will only post text to see if that works. One thing is with the dual LEDs I got off Amazon they are BRIGHT! Almost to the point where I don't need the headlight. The outcome was as I expected and I'm happy with the mod.

Some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2283.JPG
    IMG_2283.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2285.JPG
    IMG_2285.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2286.JPG
    IMG_2286.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2284.JPG
    IMG_2284.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 138
I had to order them through the only Parts Unlimited dealer in Canada, Bayside Performance in BC. The LED's were ordered via Amazon. The Lens took 5 months to get.

Bluezone said:
I had to order them through the only Parts Unlimited dealer in Canada, Bayside Performance in BC. The LED's were ordered via Amazon. The Lens took 5 months to get.
Did you order them via the web?  if so, do you have a link?

I had to call the Parts Unlimited dealer, they are special order, the site posted in in my 1st message has the part numbers.

Bluezone, trying to figure out from your pics. You have the clear signals and dual LEDs , one white for running lights and one amber when you use the signal? Two bulbs or is there a single bulb offered with both colors?

I think what's throwing me off is the last pic, that must be a pic of the stockers before the mod.

I like the white running lights for alerting cagers ahead of my presence.

The kit they offer looks just to be amber bulbs so that is why you went with dual? element, white and amber bulb(s) from Amazon?

Good point, some detailed descriptions;

Pic 1 - this is clear lens installed, LEDs not on.
Pic 2 - this is clear lens with new LEDs on.
Pic 3 - this is clear lens, c/w amber 1157 bulb and socket and the LEDs I got from Amazon
          p/n JDM ASTAR-1157-PX-28WY.
Pic 4 - this is the factory amber lens with origial bulb in left and new LED IN right to show difference in          brightness.

The LEDs are dual White/Amber and will replace an 1157 standard dual element bulb. The white turns off in turn mode as well.

The turn flash rate is quicker and I did buy some resistors but the funny thing is when they are in hazard mode the flash rate is slower almost what I would consider normal, the flasher unit must be wired differently than the signal circuit.

I had some vids but they are too large to upload.

Bluezone

Bluezone

Pic 4 is white running light only (not flash/amber led?)

by any chance did you get a flash on picture?  it would have been nice to see the difference between the white running light vs amber flash in the original amber lens.

what price were the clear lens (pair)?

Cal

Correct, pic 4 is lights in running mode, to compare brightness,  In my opinion the LED is much brighter even with the amber lens. send me an email addy and I will send you a vid of flashing mode.

My cdn cost was about $45 each, plus tax plus shipping, not much more than what the amber lens can be found for on ebay, etc

Your hazard lights flash slower because your flasher is working with a greater load (closer to what it expects to see).  Four bulbs instead of 2 bulbs.  Thermally activated flashers have a min and max lamp capacity for proper operation.

I'm going to leave it as is, the turn flash rate is faster but not so fast as to interfere with the idea of which way I want to turn.

Bluezone

PM with email address sent.  I think I could be happy with leaving the amber lens in place as long as the differential between white running and amber flash is significant enough.  I don't know how they get the white running light to stay off between amber flash events.

never knew anyone made the white/amber combos - nor the clear lens either :)>

with electronic flashers available - I don't know why people begin to try using the load resistors!

thanks

Cal

Bluezone said:
I had to call the Parts Unlimited dealer, they are special order, the site posted in in my 1st message has the part numbers.
Do you have the number for the Parts Unlimited dealer?  Also, did you happen to note the name(s) of anyone you dealt with so they would know what to do?  you can PM that to me if you wish.  Thanks!  I love the idea, your bike looks cool.

K&S Technologies
25-2211C
25-2212C

If you are in Canada then contact Bayside Performance in BC, and If you are in the US contact any Parts Unlimited dealer.

Bayside Performance in Vancouver, BC,
604-325-2252.