• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Close Call

What...an....IDIOT!!!  (And I'm NOT referring to the guy in the X5)

This guy is a boil on the ass of riders everywhere!

Actually both of them. The rider riding like an idiot and the BMW driver who was on the wrong side of the road. 

I fault the rider. You're responsible for yourself out there, and doing ridiculous stuff like the passing he was doing on a low visibility curve, in traffic with a passenger. Just dumb stuff right there. it's dangerous enough just doing what you're supposed to be doing - much less taking risks. That looked like a hard hit, and the way his foot was dangling. he could have broken it.

Cap'n Bob said:
Actually both of them. The rider riding like an idiot and the BMW driver who was on the wrong side of the road.

Yup!  Morons who both need to be removed from the gene pool.

Obviously, none of you have ridden in Europe, which is where this video is from (I couldn't make out the country symbol on the minivan, but definitely a Euro plate).

This sort of moto-riding is very common, and expected, in Europe. Note how the minivan had moved over as far as possible to let the bike by. This is the norm. Unlike here where no car driver will give you an ounce, or inch, of respect (except in Cali where I'd say 10% to 15% of drivers will move over to let you by).

The asshat was the guy in the bimmer who couldn't stay on his side of the road. Sort of like the drivers from certain former Soviet block countries I encountered, who have a lot of money and think because they have the big expensive car, they own the road. If he had stayed on his side, there was plenty of room for the bike to pass.

BTDT, and feel safer for the most part riding in Europe than I do here. Because there, car drivers have an awareness for bikers. Before you snap to judgement, maybe you ought to learn the customs. However, it was a questionable pass, what I would call a "hairball" pass. Two up I wouldn't have done it, but by myself....  yeah, and have.

From the way he was looking down, I think he lost his foot peg.

dog said:
- yeah , a bike going by you in "your" lane is common here too.

dog - you haven't mentioned where you are located. I presume somewhere in Asia? Or maybe down under?

JPavlis_CA said:
Before you snap to judgement, maybe you ought to learn the customs.

Sorry Jim, but I call a spade a spade. Maybe every video posted should have a disclaimer explaining the customs of the country that it was filmed in. But IMO, whether or not it is customary to pass in the same lane. The rider was still (IMO) riding recklessly. I find passing on the center line around blind corners stupid and dangerous. Even if it is customary according to Jim's book of world traveler customs and laws of different countries.  :rotflmao:

Standard lane usage in Europe. Italy is considered to be the farthest out on the fringe for Europe IMO. Have driven and ridden in most of Europe and western Asia. Multiple cars per lane is the norm. Slower moving vehicles move to the right to allow fast moving traffic to advance. There are no buffer zones on the road and 'no contact' is the goal. Foul on the BMW for contact over the center line.

And in reality, Americans don't follow the rules that are in place for driving anyway. Can't say whether it is ignorance or just a combination of stupidity and lack of ability to operate anything slightly complicated. Even though we find the drivers in Italy and Europe to be slightly crazy, they do have good driving skills that far exceed the drivers in the country we call home.

handyman said:
And in reality, Americans don't follow the rules that are in place for driving anyway. Can't say whether it is ignorance or just a combination of stupidity and lack of ability to operate anything slightly complicated.

selfish & self-absorbed - the rules don't apply to "them."

Bob - Maybe you missed my comment where I said it was a hairball pass? His first pass on the red car was iffy, but his pass on the minivan would have been fine - he stayed in his lane.

If you did any sort of world traveling, Bob, you'd realise that riding like an American in a foreign country is often times more dangerous than picking up and emulating their driving habits.  ::)

S Smith said:
handyman said:
And in reality, Americans don't follow the rules that are in place for driving anyway. Can't say whether it is ignorance or just a combination of stupidity and lack of ability to operate anything slightly complicated.

selfish & self-absorbed - the rules don't apply to "them."

I call that "Me Me disease". Cuz in their mind, "it is all about me".

JPavlis_CA said:
Obviously, none of you have ridden in Europe, which is where this video is from (I couldn't make out the country symbol on the minivan, but definitely a Euro plate).

This sort of moto-riding is very common, and expected, in Europe. Note how the minivan had moved over as far as possible to let the bike by. This is the norm. Unlike here where no car driver will give you an ounce, or inch, of respect (except in Cali where I'd say 10% to 15% of drivers will move over to let you by).

The asshat was the guy in the bimmer who couldn't stay on his side of the road. Sort of like the drivers from certain former Soviet block countries I encountered, who have a lot of money and think because they have the big expensive car, they own the road. If he had stayed on his side, there was plenty of room for the bike to pass.

BTDT, and feel safer for the most part riding in Europe than I do here. Because there, car drivers have an awareness for bikers. Before you snap to judgement, maybe you ought to learn the customs. However, it was a questionable pass, what I would call a "hairball" pass. Two up I wouldn't have done it, but by myself....  yeah, and have.

From the way he was looking down, I think he lost his foot peg.

Sorry - have to really disagree with this.

Lanes are designed for a single vehicle...part of the reason for their size is to allow for us "imperfect" drivers who will move within their lanes. While the BMW was clearly across his line, had the rider been properly in his lane this mistake would've had no impact.

BMW driver made a mistake, bike rider CHOSE to push the limits. I blame the guy choosing to reduce the safety limits, and violating the lane just previously, and violating the law (riding beside the van) in the moment (assuming this is illegal in the country where this is filmed). This regardless of the norms or how acceptable this behavior is - if it's acceptable, then the RIDER takes responsibility for the reduction in safety that he's choosing.

He's the most culpable.

Glad he didn't get killed...would feel sorry for the BMW driver if the rider did get seriously hurt. We don't know what was happening for the BMW driver in the moments before this - perhaps he swerved around something in the road and was just getting back in his lane. Perhaps he had a sudden wrenching pain in his gut that caused him to make a mistake. But I doubt he was actively, intently, choosing to cross the line to reduce his drive time (unlike the bike rider).

In a right hand turn (slightly blind) the biker dood has hardware hanging over the line.

BZZT!!! Bad juju no matter how you slice it. Beemer dood gets equal blame for the same reason. Biker dood much more vulnerable in this situation, takes the cake for stupidity.

Beemer dood thinks it's okay to slide over the line because all he saw was the mini van pulling over. He saw the room, slid over and whammo - biker dood appears.

AND THE SCORE, after one inning:

Biker Dood: -9 for lameness and neglecting vulnerability.
Beemer Dood: -3 because he didn't have to care.

Dan